[AMD Processors] The future CPUs

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
Are there new cpu 's in the future of AMD ?

not APU's.

Can u give me some dates (also if far in the furure), and some specs? (at least if they re 14 nm)

desktop.jpg

mobile.jpg

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It was fake slides.

Zen may come to desktops as a CPU without IGP in Q4 2016 on 14nm. But expect 2017.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
This one is the real deal:
AMDCPUPlatforms.jpg

Zen desktop in very late 2016/early 2017. Zen APUs in 2017.

The 7th gen APUs are still based on old.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
In 2012, AMD released their Piledriver architecture, which is what is in all currently-for-sale AMD socket AM3+ CPUs (4, 6 and 8 core, 32nm).

In 2013, AMD released a refresh to Piledriver called Steamroller, which is what is in their current FM2+ APUs (4 cores only, 28nm).

~

Steamroller and Piledriver have significantly worse performance-per-core than Intel's current lineup, but AMD will sell you far more cores at the same price.

Piledriver (AM3+, 32nm) has slowly been reduced in price as Intel has released new CPUs, but has not been refreshed. The FX-8 series were originally released against Intel's i7's, but lately are priced near and more often compared with Intel's i3 CPUs. The performance is good for what you pay, but they are power-hungry and use a very, very old socket.

Steamroller (FM2+, 28nm) competes fairly well in the low-end market, providing near-i3 performance in most CPU related tasks, with a much faster iGPU, at around the same or lower price. The platform is modern too. Steamroller has slightly better performance-per-clock than Piledriver, but does not come in 6 or 8 core variants.

EDIT: Excavator is a 2015 refresh for FM2+, still 28nm, but I haven't heard too terribly much about it. I don't think much (anything?) is changed over Steamroller in terms of performance, but power consumption is much better, and it competes better with Intel's mobile lineup.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Excavator is totally MIA for FM2+. It only exists in BGA format right now as Carrizo, for laptops and AiO computers. If we're lucky, we might get some hobbyist BGA boards with Carrizo, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

The next "chip to get" from AMD will be the Zen 8c/16t 95w TDP chip for AM4 desktop in Q3 2016. The 7870k ain't bad for what you get, and it would be much better if AMD had pushed harder on HSA (grumble grumble), but Steamroller does not shine until you code with an AVX target and optimize to avoid pipeline stalls. If you can manage that, it's a lot faster than people think it is . . .

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
There is no delay announced, so 2017 is pure FUD/speculation from your part.

When was the last time that AMD made parts actually available by the time they launched? We get a 1-2 quarters delay until mass availability, so Shintai's speculation isn't entirely baseless, but your faith in AMD's forecast is.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
When was the last time that AMD made parts actually available by the time they launched? We get a 1-2 quarters delay until mass availability, so Shintai's speculation isn't entirely baseless, but your faith in AMD's forecast is.

Should we then also start adding the latest Intel delays (for Broadwell etc) to their release schedules too? I.e. we should expect Cannonlake in 2018 instead of 2017 as Intel says?

Until something has changed, AMD's current release plans are the most accurate we have.

Ma_Deuce

Jun 19, 2015

regardless of what you consider baseless or not, it's still just fud/speculation.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Should we then also start adding the latest Intel delays (for Broadwell etc) to their release schedules too? I.e. we should expect Cannonlake in 2018 instead of 2017 as Intel says?

Until something has changed, AMD's current release plans are the most accurate we have.

Wow, looks like I struck a chord here. But I agree with you, those plans from AMD are the most accurate info we have but not in the way you think. Since AMD never makes their products available in the time frame they announce a given product, we can't really say when Zen will be available but we certainly can say that Zen will not be available in 2016 as AMD stated.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
When was the last time that AMD made parts actually available by the time they launched?

Kaveri A10-7770K and A10-7850K were announced in January 2014 and were available in retail stores immediately.

Ma_Deuce

Jun 19, 2015
I'm extremely interested in the high end Zen products and I'll be about ready to do some upgrading by the end of next year.

Is 95w going to be their max tdp product based on the info that's out now? I would personally like to see some higher TDP products if the efficiency doesn't scale too poirly.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Wow, looks like I struck a chord here. But I agree with you, those plans from AMD are the most accurate info we have but not in the way you think. Since AMD never makes their products available in the time frame they announce a given product, we can't really say when Zen will be available but we certainly can say that Zen will not be available in 2016 as AMD stated.

And we can certainly say that Cannonlake will not be available in 2017 as Intel stated?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Unfortunately, we don't even have a vague idea of what performance will be like.

If "40% higher IPC than current AMD Excavator core" is true, Zen will still be slower than Sandy Bridge per clock. I'm hoping it's more than 40%.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
And we can certainly say that Cannonlake will not be available in 2017 as Intel stated?

Sorry, but Intel track record is *much* better than AMD. I don't think you really want to discuss this, but if you do, I would be happy to bring every single AMD roadmap since 2008, then we can compare against Intel's and see which company has the biggest deviation.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
If "40% higher IPC than current AMD Excavator core" is true, Zen will still be slower than Sandy Bridge per clock.

Dont know how you came to this conclusion, besides there s FP IPC and Integer IPC, you wont see in 7 Zip the difference that there s in Cinebench, i guess that your statement come from generalizing this bench as representative of all other benches...

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
There is no delay announced, so 2017 is pure FUD/speculation from your part.

Yes it is speculation. Just like it'll be speculation when we say intel parts are delayed. But it's true usually. Why? Because these nodes are more challenging to work with so there are generally more delays.

Don't take it so personally.... Zen will be out in 2017 most likely that's just life.... Intel won't have a node shrink by then probably to compete either (or it'll be just brand new), due to delays so maybe we'll see both companies on similar nodes competing.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Yes it is speculation. Just like it'll be speculation when we say intel parts are delayed. But it's true usually. Why? Because these nodes are more challenging to work with so there are generally more delays.

Don't take it so personally.... Zen will be out in 2017 most likely that's just life.... Intel won't have a node shrink by then probably to compete either (or it'll be just brand new), due to delays so maybe we'll see both companies on similar nodes competing.

Lol, that sound like wishfull thoughts..

Zen industrial production at the foundry level wont start before mid summer 2016.

It s not like Global Foundry is short of time to get their process on shedule, and they seems quite confident since they agreed to tailor the process for AMD s needs, that s not the kind of pomises one do if if feel that it s not possible in the discussed time frame, they would had simply stuck with the basic process.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012

Good job walking into that one. mrmt loves to derail AMD based threads and you're helping him drag this into another Intel vs AMD thread.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry, but Intel track record is *much* better than AMD. I don't think you really want to discuss this, but if you do, I would be happy to bring every single AMD roadmap since 2008, then we can compare against Intel's and see which company has the biggest deviation.

Not lately. Intel's track record has actually been very crappy. 14 nm delays, Broadwell delays, 10 nm Cannonlake delays, Skylake shortage leading to actual delays, Haswell Refresh and KabyLake stopgap solutions introduced in panic, ... the list goes on.

It you talk about 3-4 years ago and earlier, things were different though, and Intel usually kept their schedules. But that is not indicative of the current state.

Anyway, it's quite obvious you are just trolling and looking for a meaningless fight as usual, so I'll leave it at this.