Question AMD now commands over 50% of premium CPU sales worldwide -TweakTown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
AMD now commands over 50% of premium CPU sales worldwide

Anthony Garreffa | May 3, 2020

AMD has been kicking some serious ass in the CPU business with its ever-evolving and continuously-improving Ryzen family of processors. So much so that AMD now commands over 50% of the premium CPU sales.

Intel has continued to see its CPU market share wither away to its competitor for 10 quarters in a row now, where in its recent financial report AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said that AMD has been pushing Intel for 30 months in a row now. Lisa added that AMD now has "more than 50 percent of premium processor sales at many top global etailers".

AMD recently posted record Q1 2020 re venues of $1.79 billion, which is up a considerable 40% over the same quarter of 2019. Su added: "PC demand in the rest of the world was strong, offsetting the softness in China. Client processor revenue grew significantly year-over-year as strong Ryzen processor demand resulted in significant double-digit percentage increases in unit shipments and ASP. As a result, we believe we gained client unit market share for the tenth straight quarter".

Remember that AMD is also now firing shots into the high-end laptop market, with the introduction of Ryzen Mobile 4000 series CPUs that the company says will help it hit "strong double-digit percentage year-over-year".

The company will also be launching its RDNA 2 GPUs and Zen 3 CPUs in the near future, with high-end Radeon GPUs to do the same to NVIDIA as Ryzen did to Intel with CPUs set to start a new GPU war later this year.

You must provide some commentary of your own. Not just link to an article and copy and paste its content.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I said this last year, despite a lot of people trashing me

Is this thread about you? Do you want us to make it about you? We can do that.

Intel has/had 90% marketshare and there is no way AMD could overtake them quickly. The people here seem to think that just because AMD may be "curb stopping them" and Intel will "be out of business in a few years", they don't understand marketing and brand recondition.

Intel is a dead corporation making a ton of money. Nobody said they'd be out of business. Everyone said their tech was falling too far behind for them to be taken seriously. Some people around here swore up and down that products would move forward, that we'd see IceLake-SP any day now, that Cooper Lake would be fine . . . know anybody like that? People citing unnamed industry contracts?

Even Comet Lake-S is delayed. Horribly. It's May and you still can't buy one. We're just now talking about their prices. IceLake-SP? Still not here. Cooper Lake? Restricted to 4P and up. Yep, that's right! The entire platform for 1P and 2P Cooper is dead, and because IceLake-SP shares that platform . . . you know where that's going don't you? More Cascade Lake until Sapphire Rapids. Milan is basically here, and it gets to face Cascade Lake-SP.

But hey it's an AMD thread, and AMD seems to be doing alright. Nice of you to come into this thread and make it all about how "right" you were about Intel.

You know what the general public remembers about AMD?

Nothing.

The 1Ghz war (and Opteron).

Doubtful. Most people don't know AMD exists, and they certainly aren't thinking about tech milestones from nearly 20 years ago.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Most people don't know AMD exists, and they certainly aren't thinking about tech milestones from nearly 20 years ago.
Exactly, thanks for making my point. Most people don't know AMD and wouldn't purchase it. I'm not surprised that none of you remember people posting how Intel was dead.Whatever, it is what it is. At least someone gets the truth.

Plus, the whole "This is an AMD thread"?? Are you serious????? Every Intel thread has tons of AMD support telling people to trash it, change it or recommending it. LOL, wow, the delusion is real here. No joke.

• Haha
Reactions: spursindonesia

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Exactly, thanks for making my point. Most people don't know AMD and wouldn't purchase it. I'm not surprised that none of you remember people posting how Intel was dead.Whatever, it is what it is. At least someone gets the truth.

Plus, the whole "This is an AMD thread"?? Are you serious????? Every Intel thread has tons of AMD support telling people to trash it, change it or recommending it. LOL, wow, the delusion is real here. No joke.
Here's the most current Intel earnings thread, and nobody is doing what you are claiming:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-reports-1q-2020-earnings.2579956/

A discussion from all angles? Yes. "Delusion? No.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Exactly, thanks for making my point.

But I didn't. Your point was to set yourself up as a sage (you aren't) and to deride the rest of the forum for saying things they never said. Then you went on to make false claims about AMD's reputation.

The only thing anyone really knows about AMD right now is that they used to suck, and now they're doing better. That's it. Nobody remembers what they were doing 20 years ago. The only people that "wouldn't purchase it" are doing so due to inertia. It's more about knowing what Intel was in the past than it is knowing what AMD is in the present.

In your case, I do not think you should be telling people that they're delusional or dishonest, or that they have problems with their memories.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Damn it got hotter then Hades in here, holy Hyperion i may just have to exit stage left. I got nothing to say about ANY of this stuff so yeah this is my last post. Oh i will leave this but its Gamer Meld mentioning how how on this one site Intel is being outsold by Amd 10 to 1. Forward to 1:57 but yeah this channel has been posting some legit stuff. If these numbers are set in stone idk.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
More like 3700 and upwards is my guess.
Note: this 50% figure does not include OEM computers, only CPU's for DIY.
Obviously, and something that should be made clear in the thread title. I dont see any sales numbers or definition of what market they are talking about either.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
But hey it's an AMD thread, and AMD seems to be doing alright.
How is this an AMD thread if less than 50% of premium CPUs are still sold by "others" ?

And also there is no insight on why,if people only buy AMD premium CPUs because they can't find any intel premium CPUs then it's not really a win for AMD,or at least not bigger of an win than it is for intel.

We have to keep in mind that AMDs net income for 2019 is barely at that of 2010-2011 when they only had bulldozer,while intel's net income has almost doubled from it's average so it's very very likely that there are just more AMD premium CPUs sitting on the shelves.

I actually hope the OEMS have bad sales, due to poor choices. The only way that AMD can really succeed is for them to get some OEM contracts.
The only way for them to get more OEM contracts is to produce enough so that they can give a high enough volume discount to make it worth it for the OEMs.
That's something that would cut into AMDs profits from normal sales otherwise and AMD just can't take the loss now for future possibilities.

They also have to make their CPUs and especially APUs run much better on single channel ram since that's the biggest issue I always hear about.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How is this an AMD thread if less than 50% of premium CPUs are still sold by "others" ?

So you want people to trash Intel in this thread? We can do that, if you'd like. It would seem better to emphasize the positive, which is AMD's territory in the "premium" market.

And also there is no insight on why,if people only buy AMD premium CPUs because they can't find any intel premium CPUs then it's not really a win for AMD

Ahahahaha what?

If your opponent never shows up to the fight, it's a win by default. Never mind the article didn't say that now did it?

or at least not bigger of an win than it is for intel.

Being capacity-constrained is a win? No, no it is not.

We have to keep in mind that AMDs net income for 2019 is barely at that of 2010-2011 when they only had bulldozer

1). 2010 still saw sales of products like Magny-Cours. Bulldozer wouldn't have shown up on 2010 statements. It also wouldn't have shown up on most of 2011's since it officially launched in Oct. 2011.
2). What share of that income was from graphics cards?

I don't think you fully appreciate how much AMD's income profile has changed over the years. They're also carrying a lot less debt now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
so it's very very likely that there are just more AMD premium CPUs sitting on the shelves.
That's why the Ryzen 1600 "AE" has gone from $100 to $120, to $209, @ Newegg recently. Because AMD Ryzen CPUs, are just "sitting on the shelf".

Nevermind Microcenter raising prices on their AM4 Ryzen CPUs by $10-20 as reported elsewhere.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
That's why the Ryzen 1600 "AE" has gone from $100 to $120, to $209, @ Newegg recently. Because AMD Ryzen CPUs, are just "sitting on the shelf".

Nevermind Microcenter raising prices on their AM4 Ryzen CPUs by $10-20 as reported elsewhere.

Don't forget the fact i and a few others had issues with stock cause X570 boards of decent quality were damn near impossible to get EVERYWHERE, even still. There was a brief window when i saw the 3900x well over $500 then it went back down to Neweggs original price.

I was looking at B450/X470 boards out of pure desperation of finding ANYTHING that would work with a 3900x without throttling. I got lucky FINALLY after the stock of the GB Aorus Elite came back in stock after a all day emotional roller coast of being in stock/out of stock/in stock rinse and repeat. The rest of those GB were completely sold out as well as anything else half decent that would work with a 3900x.

I damn near opted for a 9900k like a jackass cause i figured decent to good quality B450/X470/x570 stock would never replenish. SO much z390 stuff at msrp or close to well when i looked on Thursday evening anyways.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AMD actually appears to be discounting Matisse to get it off shelves. Clearing inventory before they launch Vermeer, most likely. Not sure about the 1600AF; it's a big deal if you're a bargain hunter, but it really doesn't factor much into AMD's future. I expect the 3100 and 3300 to displace it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
AMD actually appears to be discounting Matisse to get it off shelves.
I agree. Will we see wide-spread distribution of the Ryzen R5 3600 @ $150 USD price-point soon? Once it hits that low, I'm "stocking up". They are Phenominal CPUs (pardon the pun). (Actually, way better than the Phenom, of course. But it had to be said.)

Edit: Looking forward to the 3300X (4C/8T Zen2 CPU) @ $99 USD, for entry-level gamers (think, GTX 1650 / D6 / Super-level GPUs), and browser-boxes.

Edit: Hopefully, we start to see better supply of micro-ATX boards for the 3300X (maybe B550 by that time?), as supply of B450 micro-ATX boards (that are actually good, or have heatsinks on the VRMs), are getting a little hard to come by, at least @ MSRP. I did manage to recently pick up an MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX board, which is "Ryzen 3000 Ready" (being a "MAX" board), for $79.99 + ship + tax, when they got in fresh stock @ Newegg last week. I'm going to see how that one goes. I bought an Athlon 3000 as a "filler CPU" to potentially build a rig for someone, until the cheaper Zen2 CPUs arrive, or the Ryzen R5 3600 goes on sale even more.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Ooohhh man. Don't do that to yourself. LOL. Buying Intel. :p

The 9900k wouldn't have been the worst processor to pick though, its a legend for gaming even if overpriced and worst case i could have still gotten my 3900x combo later on and just dedicate the 3900x to folding/folding/htpc for my living room while the 9900k landed as its own gaming box/folder in my room.

I am still waiting on my stimulus and ideas are REALLY playing about in my head about maybe grabbing a second combo but perhaps i will wait till Comet comes out and see about its gaming performance on the 16 thread 10700 non k. I got lots of spare parts,i would only need a gpu in theory for the combo to make a gamer/secondary folder. I got a case , a older but barely used 750watt Corsair HX psu hard drives and even a 120gb ssd. I could easily afford this combo+ another 1080ti for it in June assuming prices aren't insanely inflated after release.

Kinda set more on my main build" KRONOS" with its gaming/folding same time function over another build but meh, i can see when the reviews come out. I will have my mind made up certainly by then. I would want the fastest cpu possible within reason of course for a pure gaming box as the 1080ti i got in here is simply cpu bottlenecked in everything at 1080p. I play mainly older stuff but even BF5 sat at like 60% odd gpu usage cause the 7700k was that bad off LOL.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Ahahahaha what?

If your opponent never shows up to the fight, it's a win by default. Never mind the article didn't say that now did it?
Exactly the article didn't say anything,so we can assume anything we want,that's what you are doing as well.
Being capacity-constrained is a win? No, no it is not.
If you can sell everything you can produce?!Yes! If you make double the profit it's a win,if you make barely any profit then...not so much.
1). 2010 still saw sales of products like Magny-Cours. Bulldozer wouldn't have shown up on 2010 statements. It also wouldn't have shown up on most of 2011's since it officially launched in Oct. 2011.
2). What share of that income was from graphics cards?

I don't think you fully appreciate how much AMD's income profile has changed over the years. They're also carrying a lot less debt now.

1)even worse?!?! AMD is not making more profit with ZEN,than they did with opterons and athlonXPs.
2)What share of their income today is from graphics cards and from selling APUs to the console makers??

Yes I'm sure that that's the premium CPU everybody beats each other up over.
The 1600AF increases in price for the same reasons that 4790k does,it's a drop in for an older platform.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
A serious question.

Why is it assumed almost without question that Intel has to "come back". Is that a law I failed to learn? How many tech giants in the past few decades failed to come back? Legions I would say, with Intel themselves being the killer in some cases, though this is not a prediction of what will happen, just that the future is uncertain.

That ridiculous Seeking Alpha article recently posted was just that sort of analysis, predicting fab parity/superiority once again within 1-2 years. A really dumb statement. Any observer of history will see just how stupid is such a belief. It might happen, or it might not with the odds being that it does not and node superiority really is a huge advantage for any chip designer as we see happening right now.
AMD keeps coming back, like they do right now. The x86 has only two serious players so it's hard to see how Intel could completely disappear, they won't.

I think the big question is what "coming back" actually entails. Intel will have a hard time catching up and keeping up with e.g. TSMC's node cascade since the latter is both dedicated to just that and financed by the massive smartphone market. Meanwhile Intel will have to get used to their role they always fought against: Being a manufacturer of mass market commodity products, while AMD covers the cutting edge products for the time being. This role will not endanger Intel financially, they will still stay huge and highly profitable. But the corporate culture and self image will change over the long term, and so will the reporting about them. I don't think this will be a bad change.

Reactions: Tlh97

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Intel only offering 10 cores which most likely will run like a furnace and well i needed a bit more then that for my given use case.

In case you haven't been paying attention, these Ryzen processors ARE furnaces. The stock heatsinks below the Prism are damned near useless, and now worse than Intel's stock coolers due to apparent cost cutting by AMD and having no copper core on the Spire cooler. My wife's 3600X runs so damned hot the Spire cooler was worthless to the point I had to put my 3700X's Prism cooler on hers and dig out an old Noctua U12S cooler for myself. Took forever to find the fan spring clips for it.

As soon as Intel swallows its pride and splits the cores from the I/O package, they'll regain anything they've lost. After all, while AMD's current Ryzens use a 7nm logic core, the I/O section is stuck at 12nm.....while Intel doggedly tries to shrink both in the monolithic chip they seem wedded to.

Oh well, bet it ends up just like last time.....AMD jumps out to a lead (first to X64 then dual core cpus by quite a bit) only to awaken Intel from its stupor and C2D hits, and AMD's forgotten by almost everyone outside fans. Happened before, probably happen again.

But I'm glad AMD's making what it's making right now. Was quite a bit cheaper to upgrade two computers simultaneously using AMD-based product vs. current Intel.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Exactly the article didn't say anything,so we can assume anything we want,that's what you are doing as well.

That's so wrong it hurts.

Intel has a known wafer shortage. Fact. Intel is also being outsold by AMD in the DiY "premium" space (assuming that's what it means, which it probably does). Also a fact.

If people "can't find any Intel CPUs" it's because Intel is prioritizing wafers elsewhere, and burning wafers like mad to keep up with increasing die sizes. Since, as you know, they can't carry out a proper shrink just yet. To date they're still stuck on 4c dice on 10nm.

If you can sell everything you can produce?!Yes!

So if I produce 500 units and sell 500 units, that puts me in a better position than someone else who can sell 500 or more units and produce 1000 units? No, it means I have zero growth potential in sales.

If you make double the profit it's a win

AMD's last earnings report showed their margin was around 46%. Intel isn't getting a 92% profit margin. Where do you get this stuff?

1)even worse?!?! AMD is not making more profit with ZEN,than they did with opterons and athlonXPs.

K10.5 was actually a strong product. It also sold well on the years-long performance record of Opterons that fared quite well against Netburst. Back then, AMD actually had some considerable marketshare. It was not hard for them to sell the 6c and 12c CPUs. Getting back to that profit level with a smaller marketshare is no small feat considering where AMD was in the recent past.

2)What share of their income today is from graphics cards and from selling APUs to the console makers??

I asked first. Go read the earnings report if you need an education. Here's a hint: console sales are in the basement right now, and will stay that way until ramp up for the next gen consoles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
This feels like a flashback to the Athlon days /we the commentary. Let the companies fight it out, it's good for us. When Intel offers better price for the performance I buy them, when AMD is better I buy them. My history of CPU's flip flops decently often..

1. Intel 386
  2. Intel 486
  3. Pentium
  4. AMD K6
  5. AMD Athlon
  6. Intel P4
  7. AMD Athlon 64
  8. Intel i7
  9. AMD Ryzen
Brand loyalty is not a good thing IMO, buy what fits your needs the best! I thought AMD was stupid to go fabless a while back, but it seems to have worked out for them.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm all for AMD increasing market share and being a competitive competitor. It's a win-win for consumers for price/performance.

I said this last year, despite a lot of people trashing me, Intel has/had 90% marketshare and there is no way AMD could overtake them quickly. The people here seem to think that just because AMD may be "curb stopping them" and Intel will "be out of business in a few years", they don't understand marketing and brand recondition.

You know what the general public remembers about AMD? The 1Ghz war (and Opteron). AMD beat Intel to 1Ghz and then Intel went on the offensive. They ended up destroying them and the rest is CPU history. It's too bad they relaxed and it was a genius move of AMD to not manufacture their own chips.

People want to think that winning a benchmark will make people buy it. They act like Intel chips all the sudden don't work and you cannot get anything done, lol. It's true! Also, for someone people here, they are not realizing they are battling the Kia/Hyundai effect. It really doesn't matter if a Hyundai Genesis has topped the JD Powers charts. Does that matter to most consumers? You think they are going to a Hyundai vs. a Mercedes?? Name Brand means A LOT.

While it's great to look at benchmarks, but you have to realize that Intel still had a reliable and high performing product. What company really wants to gamble to a company that has been beaten for 20+ years, base on one CPU?

Honestly, more power to AMD. The issue is that people want to predict a quick death to Intel and do not realize they may have woken a sleeping beast. I'm very interested to see what happens.

Regardless, everyone should hope for the best from both companies. It's only better for the consumer!

I love my Genesis. It's going to last forever with the miles I am putting on it now.

And my experience with it certainly factored into buying my wife's Sante Fe.

I think it's safe to say there is some community echo effect that is going to make AMD seem like the "smart buy" for the next year or two, and the people that the uneducated ask about what to buy are more likely to say AMD than they have in a decade. This is a positive thing for AMD, who knows what it means for Intel but it isn't great.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In case you haven't been paying attention, these Ryzen processors ARE furnaces.
You have to make a distinction though: They are much more dense logic, @ 7nm, than Intel's 14nm ++++(infinity). Therefore, their hotspot temps are going to be higher, it's just physics. That doesn't mean that they aren't overall more power-efficient, or have lower total heat output.

Temperate is not the same as heat output, gotta remember that. Higher temps, doesn't mean more BTUs of output.

I'm pretty sure that Intel still has AMD beat in the "space heater dept.". My R5 3600 barely heats up my room, even though its temps, sometimes reach 80C+.

Reactions: Tlh97 and JPB

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
While people are so certain intel will come back with a bang they seem to forget that in forever intel has lost its process leadership. they are so dependent on their manufacturing that they simply cannot be behind forever. if they cant regain their process leadership and the mass of die output it will spiral down real quick.

first it was icelake that will restore status quo now its tiger lake that will come roaring and bury amd again simply by having faith in intel beeing able to deliver process leadership and massoutput of dies like previous years. its simply not happening now and it is not certain it will be in the future. there are no signs for mass 10nm or even 7nm chips like 14nm are now beeing output.