Question AMD now commands over 50% of premium CPU sales worldwide -TweakTown

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
AMD now commands over 50% of premium CPU sales worldwide

Anthony Garreffa | May 3, 2020

AMD has been kicking some serious ass in the CPU business with its ever-evolving and continuously-improving Ryzen family of processors. So much so that AMD now commands over 50% of the premium CPU sales.

Intel has continued to see its CPU market share wither away to its competitor for 10 quarters in a row now, where in its recent financial report AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said that AMD has been pushing Intel for 30 months in a row now. Lisa added that AMD now has "more than 50 percent of premium processor sales at many top global etailers".

AMD recently posted record Q1 2020 re venues of $1.79 billion, which is up a considerable 40% over the same quarter of 2019. Su added: "PC demand in the rest of the world was strong, offsetting the softness in China. Client processor revenue grew significantly year-over-year as strong Ryzen processor demand resulted in significant double-digit percentage increases in unit shipments and ASP. As a result, we believe we gained client unit market share for the tenth straight quarter".

Remember that AMD is also now firing shots into the high-end laptop market, with the introduction of Ryzen Mobile 4000 series CPUs that the company says will help it hit "strong double-digit percentage year-over-year".

The company will also be launching its RDNA 2 GPUs and Zen 3 CPUs in the near future, with high-end Radeon GPUs to do the same to NVIDIA as Ryzen did to Intel with CPUs set to start a new GPU war later this year.

You must provide some commentary of your own. Not just link to an article and copy and paste its content.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel has been seriously short in DIY since like November.

Of course if AMD's desktop volume is going up, they are gaining share. It's something like 5 out of the last 6 years Intel's desktop volume went down.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Its gonna be like a Billy Mays commercial when the 4000 series drops into a B350x370 . How good your board is of course clearly dictates your cpu options but still you got more options coming up. AMD not getting started yet and i love them for it! That kind of compatibility alone blows my mind 4 damn generations on a single motherboard.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE should be the damn slogan of AMD for this last 3 generation well 3 when the 4000 series drops though. Between their 3900x blasting away at 9900k at a cheaper price then the mic drop that is the 3950x yeah i think its a fitting slogan. Add in 4000 series compatibility with bios updates and yeah gg AMD.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Thunder 57

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
(...) AMD is not going to get anywhere near the revenue share of Intel.
lol! 6.7B vs 71.9B, yeah that's really way off!

Sometimes I think AMD is pretty fine with a steady growth of ~25%. If Intel's size is indeed AMD's target then they can have 25% p.a. for a whole decade before surpassing Intel's current revenue. ;)

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
Intel still has a death grip on OEMs until this changes AMD is not going to get anywhere near the revenue share of Intel.
I would say Intel will always have dominance there. It would be great win for AMD if they ever get to 35% OEM share both consumer and enterprise(servers included). That is uphill battle, fighting for trust of client and against Intels tactics(legal, shady and illegal) and products.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Intel still has a death grip on OEMs until this changes AMD is not going to get anywhere near the revenue share of Intel.
That can change, but it will take a lot of time. They are building mindshare now, and reputation. If they keep pushing aggressively with their designs, then over a course of years they can claw their way in. Designing and building reference boards for OEM's to simply slap their label and BIOS on would help as well.

But it will take time.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I'm all for AMD increasing market share and being a competitive competitor. It's a win-win for consumers for price/performance.

I said this last year, despite a lot of people trashing me, Intel has/had 90% marketshare and there is no way AMD could overtake them quickly. The people here seem to think that just because AMD may be "curb stopping them" and Intel will "be out of business in a few years", they don't understand marketing and brand recondition.

You know what the general public remembers about AMD? The 1Ghz war (and Opteron). AMD beat Intel to 1Ghz and then Intel went on the offensive. They ended up destroying them and the rest is CPU history. It's too bad they relaxed and it was a genius move of AMD to not manufacture their own chips.

People want to think that winning a benchmark will make people buy it. They act like Intel chips all the sudden don't work and you cannot get anything done, lol. It's true! Also, for someone people here, they are not realizing they are battling the Kia/Hyundai effect. It really doesn't matter if a Hyundai Genesis has topped the JD Powers charts. Does that matter to most consumers? You think they are going to a Hyundai vs. a Mercedes?? Name Brand means A LOT.

While it's great to look at benchmarks, but you have to realize that Intel still had a reliable and high performing product. What company really wants to gamble to a company that has been beaten for 20+ years, base on one CPU?

Honestly, more power to AMD. The issue is that people want to predict a quick death to Intel and do not realize they may have woken a sleeping beast. I'm very interested to see what happens.

Regardless, everyone should hope for the best from both companies. It's only better for the consumer!

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I would say Intel will always have dominance there. It would be great win for AMD if they ever get to 35% OEM share both consumer and enterprise(servers included). That is uphill battle, fighting for trust of client and against Intels tactics(legal, shady and illegal) and products.
The elephant in the room is that for the 1st time in decades, Intel has lost the node advantage. AND, TSMC is outspending them on fabrication R&D with the possibility of this delta increasing over time. Ignoring this reality is really, really shortsighted. There's a reason why the fab guys had/have so much internal political power.

Unless of course, someone claims that the geniuses at Intel can be found nowhere else.

Reactions: misuspita

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I'm all for AMD increasing market share and being a competitive competitor. It's a win-win for consumers for price/performance.

I said this last year, despite a lot of people trashing me, Intel has/had 90% marketshare and there is no way AMD could overtake them quickly. The people here seem to think that just because AMD may be "curb stopping them" and Intel will "be out of business in a few years", they don't understand marketing and brand recondition.

You know what the general public remembers about AMD? The 1Ghz war (and Opteron). AMD beat Intel to 1Ghz and then Intel went on the offensive. They ended up destroying them and the rest is CPU history. It's too bad they relaxed and it was a genius move of AMD to not manufacture their own chips.

People want to think that winning a benchmark will make people buy it. They act like Intel chips all the sudden don't work and you cannot get anything done, lol. It's true! Also, for someone people here, they are not realizing they are battling the Kia/Hyundai effect. It really doesn't matter if a Hyundai Genesis has topped the JD Powers charts. Does that matter to most consumers? You think they are going to a Hyundai vs. a Mercedes?? Name Brand means A LOT.

While it's great to look at benchmarks, but you have to realize that Intel still had a reliable and high performing product. What company really wants to gamble to a company that has been beaten for 20+ years, base on one CPU?

Honestly, more power to AMD. The issue is that people want to predict a quick death to Intel and do not realize they may have woken a sleeping beast. I'm very interested to see what happens.

Regardless, everyone should hope for the best from both companies. It's only better for the consumer!
First, I don't think anyone here, thinks that " Intel will "be out of business in a few years",".

That said, due to all the reasons you say, AMD needs to be like Honda/Toyota of the early 70's. Intel messed up bad and still has not recovered. Its will take some time for AMD to make in-roads like Honda did. (I worked at a Honda ship in 1972 and prepped the 1200's, so I know what people thought of them)

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
First, I don't think anyone here, thinks that " Intel will "be out of business in a few years",".

You're joking, right? I saw quite a few anti-Intel post saying this was the end of Intel. I really don't want to look them all up, but if you are completely unaware of these comments (which I doubt), I will.

So many "Intel is dead" comments. I guess I can't say I'm completely surprised that someone would say this hasn't been said here.

You are absolutely right, but there is a slight difference. It's not like Honda had boasted complete dominance of the product and then went on a 15+ period of being horrible. There is nothing wrong with what AMD is doing. They basically kicked ass. But it takes a loooong time to dominate a market like Intel has. AMD tried once/twice and fell on their face. They really just picked the wrong battle.

That said, Intel being behind 2 years is not the end of Intel. They have a very diversified portfolio and It will take longer and far more slip-ups to kill the brand.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You're joking, right? I saw quite a few anti-Intel post saying this was the end of Intel. I really don't want to look them all up, but if you are completely unaware of these comments (which I doubt), I will.

So many "Intel is dead" comments. I guess I can't say I'm completely surprised that someone would say this hasn't been said here.

You are absolutely right, but there is a slight difference. It's not like Honda had boasted complete dominance of the market and then went on a 15+ period of being horrible. There is nothing wrong with what AMD did. They basically kicked ass. But it takes a loooong time to dominate a market like Intel has. AMD tried once/twice and fell on their face. They really just picked the wrong battle.

That said, Intel being behind 2 years is not the end of Intel. They have a very diversified portfolio and It will take longer and far more slip-ups to kill the brand.
It could be my interpretation of what they posted. Or your interpretation. Any "Intel is dead" comments I think were as "as a currently viable company to buy from"..

I think they are more than 2 years behind, but they will come back at some point, I know that. The question is when ? and how much damage can AMD inflict on their market share before they do "come back"

Reactions: spursindonesia

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
The elephant in the room is that for the 1st time in decades, Intel has lost the node advantage. AND, TSMC is outspending them on fabrication R&D with the possibility of this delta increasing over time. Ignoring this reality is really, really shortsighted. There's a reason why the fab guys had/have so much internal political power.

Unless of course, someone claims that the geniuses at Intel can be found nowhere else.
Oh, I agree, don't get me wrong.
You also have to think of volumes that either company can deliver. That is also big hurdle for AMD.

Reactions: LikeLinus

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It could be my interpretation of what they posted. Or your interpretation. Any "Intel is dead" comments I think were as "as a currently viable company to buy from"..

That is cute. Sure, you an interoperate it however it makes you feel good. I'm not going back to post the many post that suggested that Intel was dead and AMD was king.

You win, just like AMD. :D 5%'ers baby!

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The question is when ? and how much damage can AMD inflict on their market share before they do "come back"

Sure, the future is the question of us all. But I look at this forum and I see so many people counting out Intel and saying a lot of negative and naive things that just aren't true.

Most of these people ran Intel for years! It just doesn't make sense to

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
No issues picking prob a Rocket lake if its a better gaming chip over Ryzen 4000 if i decide to build a dedicated gaming box in 2021. Intel only offering 10 cores which most likely will run like a furnace and well i needed a bit more then that for my given use case. Can't help the fact Intel is stuck on 14nm and all they could muster is 10 cores before putting a hole in the ozone layer.

Used to love Intel but my eyes are open to all the waste coming from there. Hot botched processors lazily still on 14nm which mind you will run plenty fast at the cost of heat.My 7700k came out shortly before the 1000 series Ryzen and Intel in the same time has been through officially 3 entirely sockets if you count Comet. If you bought a good B350/X370 back in 2017 its gonna get a 4000 upgrade. So i last last heard.

Unless you got a very specific workload or you game, i can't see why most will buy anything from Intel over their 16 thread options. The 10 core better be special if its costing more then a 3900x. All i can say and hopefully it warrants its price. Will see during the reviews. Out of the box pricing on a 3900x gets even cheaper as it includes a somewhat usable stock cooler while the 10900k your forced into at least a $60 unit for somewhat decent temps?

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
A serious question.

Why is it assumed almost without question that Intel has to "come back". Is that a law I failed to learn? How many tech giants in the past few decades failed to come back? Legions I would say, with Intel themselves being the killer in some cases, though this is not a prediction of what will happen, just that the future is uncertain.

That ridiculous Seeking Alpha article recently posted was just that sort of analysis, predicting fab parity/superiority once again within 1-2 years. A really dumb statement. Any observer of history will see just how stupid is such a belief. It might happen, or it might not with the odds being that it does not and node superiority really is a huge advantage for any chip designer as we see happening right now.