AMD launches Radeon Pro DuoWorld’s Fastest Graphics Card With 16 TFLOPs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I said Fury. Look at the graph I posted. A quick look on newegg puts the cheapest Fury at $470. So really it's $560 more for the privilege of using only one PCI slot.

Exactly.

The 295x2 actually had a clock speed higher vs the standard 290. This is lower vs Fury or X, and more in-line with the nano. The former launched at the same price and still was reduced in price quickly. I don't think this card will stay at this price long. Maybe not as bad as the Titan Z, but still bad.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
That's got more to do with not knowing about multi rails then the 295.

No. I never read exactly what was causing it, but it appeared to be running so far above the PCIe spec that some "smarter" PSU's tripped their protection. One in particular I know about is the Corsair AX1500i. You had to run it single rail, which basically removes OCP protection. Not your typical dummies not knowing how to load balance properly.

FWIW, personally I wouldn't get a 1500W single rail PSU. I prefer multi rail. So, no hate from me on multi rail PSU's.

I think the reason AMD did the 295x2 with only 2x8 pins was to send misinformation to nVidia about it's performance. I'll wager that nVidia looked at it and felt pretty confident that the Titan Z would out perform it @ 375W. Thus the silly pricing. Then it came out ~100W above that and the air cooled Titan Z couldn't compete. The 295x2 was the one launch that Rory Read didn't FUBAR.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The only thing the Titan-Z should be compared to is the varying texture of bovine excrement.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I dont know about you but the card is rated for 350W TDP and it comes with 3x 8pins (450W). Well, we have to wait for the actual reviews and see.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
No. I never read exactly what was causing it, but it appeared to be running so far above the PCIe spec that some "smarter" PSU's tripped their protection. One in particular I know about is the Corsair AX1500i. You had to run it single rail, which basically removes OCP protection. Not your typical dummies not knowing how to load balance properly.

FWIW, personally I wouldn't get a 1500W single rail PSU. I prefer multi rail. So, no hate from me on multi rail PSU's.
Why wouldn't you like single rail PSUs? The added flexibility is very nice if you have a large draw on one rail. The better ones (like my Seasonic X1000) still have pre-plug OCP, but no restriction (AFAIK) how you split up that power between MB, PCIe, EPS, etc. Likely the AX1500i is similar, and they were tripping the per plug protection. Just use another cable and you're fine.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010

I think the reason AMD did the 295x2 with only 2x8 pins was to send misinformation to nVidia about it's performance. I'll wager that nVidia looked at it and felt pretty confident that the Titan Z would out perform it @ 375W. Thus the silly pricing. Then it came out ~100W above that and the air cooled Titan Z couldn't compete. The 295x2 was the one launch that Rory Read didn't FUBAR.

Multi rail sucks ass at the high end. Never again will I buy a multi rail junkard for high end.

Feb 19, 2009
290/390 != fury

The stuttering that we've seen in some recent games tends to not happen with 290's.

Basically the 290 is a better balanced card, and in single card configuration has very reliable performance. I would say in xfire (or SLi) is significantly less reliable and I would avoid if I could get a single faster card, however if you want xfire then 2*390's with their 8GB buffer are about perfect for a balance of memory size/bandwidth/rops/compute.

It's not just the card balance but how common it is - as a rule the more common your card the better testing it will get as it's more likely devs will have them and test with them. I bet many game devs don't own a single fury, let alone testing 2 in xfire. Buying something that's going to be so rare it'll be a collectors item in a few years is hence a bad idea if you want to game reliably with it.

Did you notice AMD awhile ago sending out so many PCs with Fury X2 in it for developers?

They also sent it out to universities for use in their GPU courses.

Fiji CF definitely has issues in new released games, but AMD has been very fast to fix it. Rise of the Tomb Raider got a Fiji optimized driver 3 days after release. GoW got it 1 week (but no multi-GPU anyway due to UE3).

I can't fault them considering in 2014 and 2015, GW titles would not have an AMD optimized driver or CF for months.

RTG is on the ball.

Feb 19, 2009
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/amd-radeon-pro-duo-revealed/

Interestingly, while normal consumers will be able to purchase it, AMD is marketing the Radeon Pro Duo at content creators, or more specifically, VR content creators. The company has partnered up with Crytek and its VR First initiative to kit out the VR First Lab at Bahçeşehir University in Istanbul with Radeon Pro Duos, and promises to extend the scheme to the likes of Stamford and UCL at a later date. AMD also says several Hollywood studios are lined up to use the card.

That makes more sense, price is poor for gamers as 2x Nano is much cheaper, as are other 2x Fiji configs.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yea i prefere single myself.

I understand the benefit of single rail.

Multi rail sucks ass at the high end. Never again will I buy a multi rail junkard for high end.

Multi rail does not mean junk. Antec HCP platinum units, the fully modular Enermax and Lepa, and the bequiet platinums are three good examples of excellent multi rail designs.

Why wouldn't you like single rail PSUs? The added flexibility is very nice if you have a large draw on one rail. The better ones (like my Seasonic X1000) still have pre-plug OCP, but no restriction (AFAIK) how you split up that power between MB, PCIe, EPS, etc. Likely the AX1500i is similar, and they were tripping the per plug protection. Just use another cable and you're fine.

I prefer multi rail, on a large PSU, for the obvious reason it's safer. If everything is running off of a single 100A rail and there's a malfunction it could be catastrophic for your whole system.

Here's a quote from the AX1500i review on JonnyGuru
Oh, that reminds me - multi-rail OCP is enabled by default if you're not running Corsair Link. This is a good thing, because you can just about arc weld with a single 12V unit this big. I actually had the unit shut down on me the first time I went for test five, because I only had one cable on the VC bank of the main load tester, and suddenly it went from a 23.25A load to 29A. I had to do some creative cable management to get around that.

I can understand that a lot of people don't know, or can't be bothered with load balancing. also, with good PSU's like MrTeal's it's not a likely occurrence to have issues. I'd just rather be safer.

The thought that multi rail is junk though is just misinformed.

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Multi rail does not mean junk Antec HCP platinum units, the fully modular Enermax and Lepa, and the bequiet platinums are three good examples of excellent multi rail designs.

Junk. Go ask Karlitos how much trouble he's had. It's that you are missing the fundamental limitation in multi-rails. Their existence, the fact that they partition the available power so you have to stuff what requirements you have into the partitions that you have available. The end result is that you actually pigeon hole yourself into a box, and you are stuck. If you load balanced incorrectly, say hello to tripping Ms OCP all day long. Multi rail is not necessarily safer, nor more efficient nor anything more than single rail. In fact your multi rail psu often times is a single rail masquerading as a multi rail psu.. It's all marketing BS. Just ask below...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Junk. Go ask Karlitos how much trouble he's had. It's that you are missing the fundamental limitation in multi-rails. Their existence, the fact that they partition the available power so you have to stuff what requirements you have into the partitions that you have available. The end result is that you actually pigeon hole yourself into a box, and you are stuck. If you load balanced incorrectly, say hello to tripping Ms OCP all day long. Multi rail is not necessarily safer, nor more efficient nor anything more than single rail. In fact your multi rail psu often times is a single rail masquerading as a multi rail psu.. It's all marketing BS. Just ask below...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

I've read that years ago, thanks.

We don't need to bring other members into this. So, I'll leave Karlitos alone.

The bold is the operative part of your argument. It says it all, actually. Well, that and if you don't have the proper PSU for the load you are giving it in the first place.

Anyway, you are far too opinionated to discuss this rationally. You just want to assert that your position is 100% correct and I don't know what I'm talking about. Not that I was trying to have a discussion in the first place. I just wanted it to be clear that I wasn't biased against multi rail PSU's.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
The part you bolded is only one aspect. Sometimes you cannot load balance at all with the rails you have. Thus you've wasted your money. All this power and rails yet you cannot balance the load because there is just not enough power per rail or the wattage per card is simply not divisible by the rails. The LEPA and Enermax are prime examples great on paper, shit in execution.

Lmao opinionated yea ok. I've actually had massive quad systems, leading 3dmark hof, bench threads, etc. I would never use a multi rail for the very reasons I describe.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The part you bolded is only one aspect. Sometimes you cannot load balance at all with the rails you have. Thus you've wasted your money. All this power and rails yet you cannot balance the load because there is just not enough power per rail or the wattage per card is simply not divisible by the rails. The LEPA and Enermax are prime examples great on paper, shit in execution.

Lmao opinionated yea ok. I've actually had massive quad systems, leading 3dmark hof, bench threads, etc. I would never use a multi rail for the very reasons I describe.

Yes, I said that the Lepa and Enermax would run any load... Oh wait?

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I understand the benefit of single rail.

Multi rail does not mean junk. Antec HCP platinum units, the fully modular Enermax and Lepa, and the bequiet platinums are three good examples of excellent multi rail designs.

I prefer multi rail, on a large PSU, for the obvious reason it's safer. If everything is running off of a single 100A rail and there's a malfunction it could be catastrophic for your whole system.

Here's a quote from the AX1500i review on JonnyGuru

I can understand that a lot of people don't know, or can't be bothered with load balancing. also, with good PSU's like MrTeal's it's not a likely occurrence to have issues. I'd just rather be safer.

The thought that multi rail is junk though is just misinformed.

Well, I guess there's a bit of a misnomer here. The AX1500i is a single rail design, as are the vast majority of large units. There is a difference between a multi-rail design and one that has OCP on the outputs to prevent cables melting. In a traditional multi rail design, the power partitioned into rails wasn't available on the other rails. For example, I had a 1010W GamerXStream years ago with 20A/20A/20A/20A on its four 12V rails. 12V1 was for the CPU, 12V2 was for the MB and peripheral connectors, and 12V3 and 12V4 were for PCIe. Even with perfect load balancing on the PCIe connectors, you are limited to a total of 480W to those PCIe plugs. If you didn't need 20A for the CPU (most don't) and 20A for the MB (who does?) you'd need to use dual Molex to PCIe or EPS to PCIe cable in order to tap into that.

OTOH, dividing up a single large 12V rail into multiple smaller "rails" still makes it a single rail design. There could be no rail markings (as it is on my X1000) but still with OCP, or they could divide it into groups where you might have OCP on one set of plugs and call it a rail. That's the way the Antec HCP1000 works; the 12V outputs are collected into groups of two or three cables, and a 40A limit is applied to that. You never really lose capacity though, since you can pull the full power from any group as long as you don't exceed ~500W per "rail". I'd argue the Antec method is actually less safe than the per-plug method that Seasonic uses, but it's really six of one and a half dozen of another.

Edit: There are of course single rail designs with no OCP which can be a safety issue, but there are also (shockingly) units marketed as multi-rail with limits per rail that don't actually feature any OCP either.

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
In regard to this card and the fact Nvidia did not bother with dual Maxwell, i have to wonder, if in case we wont see big Pascal this year, will Nvidia release dual card based on GP104, to fill a role of their halo product for 2016.... similarly to GTX690 while back... to sort of have competition to this....

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
well this card its going to be the fastest single card for the next 12 months or even more. It has an AIO custon cooling. It will be faster than Titan X that is currently selling for $999 and people asking for the same price ??

If AMD had a $999 card and NVIDIA would introduce a $1500 card like the AMD Radeon Pro Duo, everyone would say thats the best card of the planet and they wouldnt have any problem with the price.

Why don't you apply this logic to your defense of AMD CPU's? Intel blows AMD out of the water, but you always say AMD is cheaper. Actually up to this moment you used the same argument against Nvidia.

Now that AMD is supposedly faster it's okay for them to be higher priced according to you.

Why the flip-flop? Will you now stop arguing price because having the fastest product justifies it?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Why don't you apply this logic to your defense of AMD CPU's? Intel blows AMD out of the water, but you always say AMD is cheaper.

A faster Intel CPU IS more expensive than a slower AMD CPU. But at the same price or same performance the AMD CPU is cheaper.
I dont understand what you are trying to say here.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Love the name, the design (if I ever owned one I'd rock it with the shroud off), but that price. Woof.

I recall few posters saying @$1000 it's DoA and this was back in like November. Isn't this a paper launch with actual sales not for another 1-2 months?

EDIT:

MOther of God, how have I not seen this before? Is this graph relatively new?

01-GPU-Power-Consumption_w_600.png

EDIT #2:
Found the THG article this is from, but without DX11 performance number, the power consumption means jack to me.

I thought Hawaii was a pig, DX12 Hawaii is a freaking boar!

Last edited:

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Love the name, the design (if I ever owned one I'd rock it with the shroud off), but that price. Woof.

I recall few posters saying @$1000 it's DoA and this was back in like November. Isn't this a paper launch with actual sales not for another 1-2 months?
who said that? some news poster here maybe? Some of them were also hyping fury X same way.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
who said that? some news poster here maybe? Some of them were also hyping fury X same way.

One of our missing pro-AMD historical posters. of which I completely agreed with him. This card is beyond late. And now with that price tag, it's like AMD doesn't want to sell their products. I say give it two months or less before it gets a price cut.

(Although I might be off by citing November, was possibly December).

caswow

Sep 18, 2013

EDIT:

MOther of God, how have I not seen this before? Is this graph relatively new?

EDIT #2:
Found the THG article this is from, but without DX11 performance number, the power consumption means jack to me.

I thought Hawaii was a pig, DX12 Hawaii is a freaking boar!

they used a msi 390x which has the highest tdp of all 390x. doesnt mean much.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why don't you apply this logic to your defense of AMD CPU's? Intel blows AMD out of the water, but you always say AMD is cheaper. Actually up to this moment you used the same argument against Nvidia.

Now that AMD is supposedly faster it's okay for them to be higher priced according to you.

Why the flip-flop? Will you now stop arguing price because having the fastest product justifies it?
I'm completely failing to understand this "logic".