Amd Is having Yield Problems (Bring it) UPDATED

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
whatever, i'm not buying intel. i'm supporting amd as long as they have decent alternative chips, the industry needs competition.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
ok amd 64 owns, hehe, amd is amd . and i believe amd will get mcuh larger and not fail anytime soon. I belive this because an athlon xp system is still cheaper then almost all P4 systems, the new athlon 64 3200+ is the new midgrade amd processor and it is faster then intel's best, this leaves the athlon 64 FX to take the crown of absolute best performance, ad to this the fact that the opteron system although expensive, is THE multi processor system to own for buisisnesses. Add to that the fact that the athlon xp will still be made till late 2004 at the earliest, amd will have the high, mid, low, and the server grade markets covered. Add that to the fact that they are all 64 bit except the athlon xp, shows that amd has plans for the future, and if these processors perform this well in 32 bit mode, think how well they will perform in a 64 bit environment. Im not an amd fanboy, and indeed, intel has a few tricks up there sleave. The presscott very well may cripple the athlon 64, but it very well may not. If it is just a suped up P4, it will fail because of high prices, and lackluster performance. If it is a design that is very different then the p4, and is much faster, and runs at higher clocks, amd may be in trouble. But 4 years from now, intel will be way behind unless they get 64 bit, 4 gb of ram will be tiny about 4 years from now, and that is all intel can do. AMD, can do 16.8 Exabytes of ram is needed, so they are prepared there. Add to this the fact that this arcticture they have set up allows for all kinds of expandibility. Think how fast onboard graphics could be if they use hypertransport instead of the slow northbridge. The graphics bus, or nay bus on the system, could be as fast as the amd 64 chip, if it is using hyper transport. Im trying not to be biased, but these are the reasons i believe amd will not fail anytime soon.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: gorillaman
Originally posted by: pspada
Originally posted by: smashp
I hope they continue to Challenge, Just to keep those Quality Intel proc prices LOW.

The bottom line is Intel Drives The market. I Amd cant start Getting a return on investment Soon, They wont be much more.

The bottom line is that Intel would not know the meaning of the word performance if it reared up and bit them.

Intel has been the performance leader for the last 6 months. You can make your MHz argument all you want. You say that AMD's 3200+ runs just as well as an actual 3200MHz Intel. Your right. Different architectures. Different MHz. Hence the PR rating. It's not that AMD doesn't want to reach those speeds, but can't. Yet. And it was already published that AMD will only plan on shipping 400,000 cpu's next year (2004) so their yield is definately low, or they dont expect many buyers. One or the other.

ENjoy

EDIT: DBZ, dont you dare say I'm crapping on this thread. I have said nothing that was out of line.
Just an afterthought.

THANKS

You can't crap a thread that was crapped in the origional post...

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
This thread is just like my AMD 1700+...unlocked for some strange and unknown reason. :)

And who is this stevejst person? Why hasn't smashp denied the accusation? Interesting...

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Face it AMD new 64 bit chips largest limiter is ------AMD it self. The Company has not made a profit in the last 8 quarters and can not continue to compete much further.

Right now many Fanboys are claiming these 64bit are going to revolutionize things.

The bottom line is AMD will fail. They no longer have the means to realistically challenge Intel.

Im talking purely finacially.

Actually right now "Fanboys" are making stupid claims like "AMD is going to dieeeeeeeeeeeeee" and "Intel is king. Don't deny it"

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
HP Huh, Talk to any major IT guys latelly on their opinion of HP. IT department are canning HP Because when you call enterprise level support, you cant tell if your talking to A Tech or the owner of the 7-eleven down the street.

Also - capitalizing the first letter comes only after periods, NOT commas. And they also don't belong in the middle of a freaking sentence!

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: SickBeast
This thread is just like my AMD 1700+...unlocked for some strange and unknown reason. :)
ROFL! :cool:

but yeah, where's the Mod That Goes Bump In The Night when you need him/her? :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Originally posted by: SickBeast
ROFL! :cool:

but yeah, where's the Mod That Goes Bump In The Night when you need him/her? :p
Are you kidding? I'm surprised they ever get to look in on us with how busy they stay trying to police that zoo called ATOT ;)

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Actually, I believe there's a way to call in the Mods, and that is to do this:

• Press the N key
  • Press the E key
  • Press the F key
  • Press the ! key
  • Now click the Reply to Topic button, then the Backspace key. Repeat this step a couple times. From what I hear, it's like the Bat Signal is to Batman. :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Actually, I believe there's a way to call in the Mods, and that is to do this:

• Press the N key
  • Press the E key
  • Press the F key
  • Press the ! key
  • Now click the Reply to Topic button, then the Backspace key. Repeat this step a couple times. From what I hear, it's like the Bat Signal is to Batman. :p
I'm not quite sure I understand.....could you do it again? :p

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Originally posted by: gorillaman
Originally posted by: pspada
I hope they continue to Challenge, Just to keep those Quality Intel proc prices LOW.

The bottom line is Intel Drives The market. I Amd cant start Getting a return on investment Soon, They wont be much more.

The bottom line is that Intel would not know the meaning of the word performance if it reared up and bit them.

Intel has been the performance leader for the last 6 months. You can make your MHz argument all you want. You say that AMD's 3200+ runs just as well as an actual 3200MHz Intel. Your right. Different architectures. Different MHz. Hence the PR rating. It's not that AMD doesn't want to reach those speeds, but can't. Yet. And it was already published that AMD will only plan on shipping 400,000 cpu's next year (2004) so their yield is definately low, or they dont expect many buyers. One or the other.

ENjoy

EDIT: DBZ, dont you dare say I'm crapping on this thread. I have said nothing that was out of line.
Just an afterthought.

THANKS

You can't crap a thread that was crapped in the origional post...

Yep, can't grab on a thread that is pointless...

Even if you could back up the yeild problems with a link then you would have something to go on. . .

May have been true on the early Opterons, but think the yeilds on the 2.0 2.2ghz A64's are looking good.

VisableAssassin

Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dguy6789
amd's pr rating is nearly 100% accurate untill the "c" p4s came out, the 2500 is about as fast as p42.53, 2600 -2.66, the 3000 to the 3.06ghz. they were all right on the block, then 800 fsb changed how fats intels cpus were, you canht blame amd. I would take an athlon xp 3200+ system over a p43.2ghz system any day. The athlon xp still owns in general usage performance and buisisness apps, and the amd 64 is even better. and amd is not having yield problems because they have been overclocked to 2.8ghz 100% stable FYI. So dont say junk about anything untill you know hwat your talking about period.

you are aware that AMD's PR rating had nothing to do with any Intel chip right?
most people are under the misconception that the PR was aimed at Intel when in fact it was not. It was aimed at AMD's own Thunderbird core.
so a XP 3200+ would be the same as a 3200mhz T-bird...NOT a 3.2ghz P4

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
The bottom line is AMD will fail. They no longer have the means to realistically challenge Intel.

Im talking purely finacially.

Speaking purely financially, if you're concerned about a company's ability to continue its operations, you definitely would not look at a bottom line in the income statement. If you know what I'm talking about, please reply. Otherwise, go do your homework before your mommy gives you a spanky.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
yes i have been aware of that, however, i dont think amd has a 3.2ghz tbird to test it agaisnt, and if their pr failed, they would say it is to be compared with the tbird to save themselves. Everyone knows they test it agaisnt the P4 for pr rating, but if soemthign happened, such as the "C" p4s, they say it is based on tbird and not P4. For years theve been saying, faster then p4, alot less cost. They compared the two alot.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
This Is why I started this thread, and no i am not some steve guy or a troll. The Passion that AMd Fanboys posses is unmeasureable.

Look at the finacial statements of AMD. For Example here are some MAJOR Key figures

Profitability
Profit Margin (ttm): -55.09%
Operating Margin (ttm): -45.57%

Management Effectiveness
Return on Assets (ttm): -25.09%
Return on Equity (ttm): -50.32%

Income Statement
Revenue (ttm): 2.70B
Revenue Per Share(mrq): 7.415
Revenue Growth (ttm, yr over yr)³: -30.70%
Gross Profit (ttm)²: 591.37M
EBITDA (ttm): -341.87M
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): -1.40B
Earnings Per Share (ttm): -4.07
Earnings Per Share (mrq): -0.4
Earnings Growth (ttm, yr over yr)³: 2050.90%

Balance Sheet
Total Cash (mrq): 738.80M
Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 2.13
Total Debt (mrq)²: 1.66B
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 0.729
Current Ratio (mrq): 1.612
Book Value Per Share (mrq): 6.58

The interesting FACTS of why AMD is a doomed tech company is as follow.

1.6Billion in debt vs 768 million is cash

earnings per share -4.07

Profit margin -55.09%

They are a publicly Held company. That means People INVEST in them to make them money. If the Cant Make money, People stop Investing in them. When people stop investing In the company, The company has no means to operate.

So i plead to you. If you wish to save your beloved AMD, Go buy some of their stock.

Just dont come crying, when its worthless.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
I personally am not going to comment one way or the other on this situation. It would be a great loss if AMD went out of business.

The thing I wanted to say is please guys, keep the OFF TOPIC banter and NEFFING to OFF TOPIC.

Thread author, this type of thread use to have a sticky notice expressly forbidding posting threads of this type. I am sure the rule has been applied and is still in effect. I hope the MODS lock this thread soon as it is pure speculation based on a website that frequently posts misinformation.

mrgoblin

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
Amd are the biggest idiots ive ever seen. WHY didint they launch that processor at 2.6 and 2.4? They could have if they wanted to. Create a gap and sacrifice overwhelming profit for r&d and keep putting out megaproducts. I think come p5, amd will either fall or get its act together. 4k fsb is nothing to sneer at.