AMD Fury X Reviews

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Once overvolt software is out, the 15.20 driver and Win10, Fury X will smoke SLI 980 Ti! Just like when with Mantle 290X was faster than SLI 780 in BF4. /s
Are you serious? Can you provide the link where R9 290X with Mantle is beating GTX 780 SLI?

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Once overvolt software is out, the 15.20 driver and Win10, Fury X will smoke SLI 980 Ti! Just like when with Mantle 290X was faster than SLI 780 in BF4. /s

What is this magic 15.20 driver I keep hearing about?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Sorry but have to post this
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/msi-gtx980-ti-gaming-6g/17/

Seriously MSI GTX 980 Ti OC is 25 % faster than Fury X.
I'm so happy to see the reference fury x vs reference 980ti numbers
/sarcasm

Knew this would happen where we'd sit and compare fury x (reference) to over volted custom cooled models all day.

Amd shot themselves in the foot not making sure voltage was ready to be played with. Ocers dream.... Just have to wait for the community to make tools since amd won't ensure tools are available at launch.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
Amd shot themselves in the foot not making sure voltage was ready to be played with.

The guy saying it should keep doing other things than open is mouth for sure about cards.
I expected OC tools at launch based on that statement.
such amatuers.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
People who think 980Ti with its 6gb vram has more future proofing fail to understand that DX12 is made with Mantle as a foundation and has mostly Mantle-like features. GCN being the core that future APIs were designed for, as well as cross-platform developers cater to due to consoles... obviously GCN is the more future proof uarch.

You're going to have to prove this with a reference. I've read where Microsoft said that Mantle was some inspiration, but to claim that Mantle is a "foundation" of DX12 is blatantly false. Microsoft said they created it from the ground up themselves.

Besides that, Mantle isn't helping Fury X at all at this point due to a lack of optimization, so GCN isn't a beast on Mantle by default.

At a high level there is no denying the fact that Direct3D 12 looks a lot like Mantle. Microsoft has set out with the same basic goals as AMD did with Mantle and looks to be achieving some of them in the same manner. Which to no surprise then that the end products are going to be similar as a result.
As with Mantle, the primary goal for Direct3D 12 is to greatly reduce the CPU overhead that we’ve talked about previously. As the biggest source of CPU overhead is having Direct3D assemble the command lists/buffers for a GPU, Direct3D 12 will be moving that job over to developers. By assembling their own command lists developers can more easily spread out the task over multiple cores, and this alone will have a significant impact on CPU utilization. At this point we don’t know what Direct3D 12 command lists will look like, and this will likely be one of the design choices that separates Direct3D 12 from Mantle, but there’s no reason at this time to expect them to be much different.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7889/...level-graphics-programming-comes-to-directx/2

That's a far cry from saying that Mantle is a foundation for DX12. From a high level, they have similarities because their goals are similar. But to claim one as a foundation (I'm sure there are no code copy/pastes) is like saying the Windows kernel is a foundation for the Linux kernel.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
The guy saying it should keep doing other things than open is mouth for sure about cards.
I expected OC tools at launch based on that statement.
such amatuers.
Who?

People who are paying $650 have to wait for proper driver,Proper OC tools, Refund for coil whine?While GTX 980 Ti is absolute choice with less price.

normal PC or neutral person who is willing to spend $650 on a GPU will never buy a Fury X over GTX 980 Ti at same price because it is senseless.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
Who?

People who are paying $650 have to wait for proper driver,Proper OC tools, Refund for coil whine?While GTX 980 Ti is absolute choice with less price.

normal PC or neutral person who is willing to spend $650 on a GPU will never buy a Fury X over GTX 980 Ti at same price because it is senseless.

drivers works better with amd fury tho than 980ti so I decided to go Fury.
PLP support was a factor also.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
drivers works better with amd fury tho than 980ti so I decided to go Fury.
PLP support was a factor also.
AMD fury X has a better driver that is why even A GTX 980 is equal to Fury X on 1080p and on 1440p a reference GTX 980 Ti is 10% faster than you are right.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
That's a far cry from saying that Mantle is a foundation for DX12. From a high level, they have similarities because their goals are similar. But to claim one as a foundation (I'm sure there are no code copy/pastes) is like saying the Windows kernel is a foundation for the Linux kernel.

And you'd be wrong. There are code copy pastes. Some of the code documentation is copy pasted over. This topic has been exhaustively covered in threads dedicated to the topic. Vulkan is a fork of Mantle, DX12 is Mantle's spiritual successor/co-developed and the evidence is strong is uses the exact same code in places.

Ma_Deuce

Jun 19, 2015
Who?

I'll probably pick up a FuryX over a 980ti after a bit. The AIO liquid cooling makes up for the difference in release day performance between the two. I'll be replacing a 780 that replaced a 670 so I think I'm pretty neutral.

When I bought the 780 zotac amp over a 290x it was because it was more quiet and ran cooler as well.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
You know what else had AMD/ATI at the helm leading the charge? DX9 with unified Shaders. DX11 with tessellation.

Whomever NV has employed, they manage to pull a rabbit out of their hat. And this is coming from a long time Radeon user who would justify his cards being slower by "at least it cost less." When the cost equation flew out the window, I had to realize - for everything AMD does right and good, Nvidia does it better.

FFXIV is now a Gameworks game. I have no doubt in my mind it will cripple performance on a Radeon. If NV keeps snagging games like this, my decision to support NV and it's anti-consumer/gaming/etc ways become easier to allow. Yes, I'd rather have an eco-system where I'm not buying PC exclusives (Extreme) but AMD isn't doing jack to give me confidence in buying them.

Just in this thread:
"Wait for the new driver."
"Wait for Win10."

I guess I can keep waiting for AMD to beat NV, but it seems when that happens NV releases a new card that repeats the cycle. I waited for custom cooler 290X and then got shafted on the price. I waited for Fury X to launch then got shafted on performance and hell I'm so glad I'm not suffering through these pump issues (as someone who has pushed towards reducing noise levels, I'm so happy where my rig is now and a ref GTX 980 Ti @ 70% is pushing it).

But everyone else - keep waiting. AMD will have it's day in the sun! Just you see.
damn, you sound bitter :D to be honest, win 10 is a major mile stone. so are the new drivers and oc ability. as of now 980 ti at 20% factory oc clocks is a no brainer, something like the g1.

need and want fury x oc vs 980 ti oc charts before I will buy either. as long as performance is within 5% I will 100% buy the clc version of the 2.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
damn, you sound bitter :D to be honest, win 10 is a major mile stone. so are the new drivers and oc ability. as of now 980 ti at 20% factory oc clocks is a no brainer, something like the g1.

need and want fury x oc vs 980 ti oc charts before I will buy either. as long as performance is within 5% I will 100% buy the clc version of the 2.

Of course I'm bitter! Any sports fan would feel the same way. I'm like a Seahawks fan right as they passed from the 2 yard line. (And as a Patriots fan, I got enough tears going towards the Giants haha).

I guess what makes it worse is the constant "wait for X" from the other team supporters. Like holy crap, how much more can we wait?

And IF (keyword) Win10/Cat 15.20 doesn't deliver what is expected I already know the next response "Wait for DX12 games."

EDIT: But here is my prediction. Once OC/OV is unlocked, we'll see why Fury X was put on water. That thing is going to suck down watts and possibly not even get 20% OC on top. It will just make Maxwell 2 look that much better.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
There are code copy pastes.

Oh for goodness sake, this crud is STILL going? You do realize that the XBox has a custom DX already on it that predates Mantle, right? And AMD worked with Microsoft on the XBox.

Also, if you know there are sections of code copy pasted from Mantle to DirectX, do you work at Microsoft and have access to the code?

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Oh for goodness sake, this crud is STILL going? You do realize that the XBox has a custom DX already on it that predates Mantle, right? And AMD worked with Microsoft on the XBox.

Also, if you know there are sections of code copy pasted from Mantle to DirectX, do you work at Microsoft and have access to the code?
The documentation is copy paste. Fact you omitted in your selected quoting. And we know what documentation came first here. Mantle.
Xbox api has very much code similarity to mantle. Fact. Source Amd.
Asynch shaders ?
Its gcn all over it.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The documentation is copy paste. Fact you omitted in your selected quoting. And we know what documentation came first here. Mantle.
Xbox api has very much code similarity to mantle. Fact. Source Amd.
Asynch shaders ?
Its gcn all over it.

Yes - documentation that doesn't exist in anything other than screen grabs. And I will once again point out that even if the XBox API is similar to Mantle, it predates Mantle.

I'm still waiting for proof that the code in DX12 is a copy paste from Mantle...:rolleyes: I singled out that part of his post since it is the wildest claim I've heard in any of these "DX12 is Mantle" posts, since he's passing it off as fact. He should back it up with a source.

Last edited:

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
AMD copied the Xbox One's API and called it Mantle to use on the PC. Thanks Microsoft for starting it all.

See how easy it is to state something that may or may not be true, when there are no facts to back it up?

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Of course I'm bitter! Any sports fan would feel the same way. I'm like a Seahawks fan right as they passed from the 2 yard line. (And as a Patriots fan, I got enough tears going towards the Giants haha).

I guess what makes it worse is the constant "wait for X" from the other team supporters. Like holy crap, how much more can we wait?

And IF (keyword) Win10/Cat 15.20 doesn't deliver what is expected I already know the next response "Wait for DX12 games."

EDIT: But here is my prediction. Once OC/OV is unlocked, we'll see why Fury X was put on water. That thing is going to suck down watts and possibly not even get 20% OC on top. It will just make Maxwell 2 look that much better.
that is what I need before I buy. nothing else matters. I need oc vs oc reviews!

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
And you'd be wrong. There are code copy pastes. Some of the code documentation is copy pasted over. This topic has been exhaustively covered in threads dedicated to the topic. Vulkan is a fork of Mantle, DX12 is Mantle's spiritual successor/co-developed and the evidence is strong is uses the exact same code in places.

Ok, still waiting on a reference. If it's exhaustively covered you should be able to pick something up pretty quickly.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

Is there any evidence of actual code copying or just copying of some documentation? Documentation is not code and not proof of code copying.

Vulkan is based on Mantle, albeit with some GCN dependant parts stripped out for cross vendor support and some D3D parts replaced; both with OpenGL equivalents. As far as I see it there is no direct evidence of code copying for DX12, just some documentation copying and some of it isn't exactly the same.

It is a shame that Fury and Mantle don't get along too well, I just hope it's not a sign of where future API developments are possibly headed.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I'll probably pick up a FuryX over a 980ti after a bit. The AIO liquid cooling makes up for the difference in release day performance between the two. I'll be replacing a 780 that replaced a 670 so I think I'm pretty neutral.

When I bought the 780 zotac amp over a 290x it was because it was more quiet and ran cooler as well.

It'd be nice if you gave a 3 month follow up post as you've owned all nvidia cards for awhile now and are switching over. I'm sure it'll be interesting to hear your take on the drivers and software side having switched over from a long time nvidia user to an AMD card. I think the Fury X is worth the price due to the AIO cooling too. I just don't think I game enough to justify buying it. I was about to buy a 290 but still am not sure but the OC tools have me wondering what is really possible with that AIO cooler.

All depends really if VSR on my projector is willing to go above 1440p. 1800p/4k is ok. But 1440p I'll just get a R9 290.