AMD Fury X Reviews

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This review is all over the place. Some benchmarks show the 980 beating the 980 TI.... I'll just wait for techpowerup, hardwarecanuks, [H], and anandtech. There will be plenty of time to piss and cry later. :D

Yeah the initial Asian sites that go up early usually have funky numbers. First real review though. I expect a couple of the other Asian sites to break NDA tonight as well :awe:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah, review seems to be unreliable. Only thing I can think of is that they use fraps during gameplay and aren't consistent at all as to what happens during the session. Either that or they just mixed up a bunch of their numbers trying to publish first, or it's a big troll job, lol.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Yeah, review seems to be unreliable. Only thing I can think of is that they use fraps during gameplay and aren't consistent at all as to what happens during the session. Either that or they just mixed up a bunch of their numbers trying to publish first, or it's a big troll job, lol.

For AMD's sake I hope it is. Besides a few anomalies here and there, that review shows Fury X being considerably slower overall than 980 TI.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Fury review thread should be in the AMD section... let's not create more of these here.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Fury review thread should be in the AMD section... let's not create more of these here.

Then we cant compare it to nvidia performance though right? Even mentioning the competition in the brand specific subs is against the new rules right?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Then we cant compare it to nvidia performance though right? Even mentioning the competition in the brand specific subs is against the new rules right?
Who said that?
The rules seem clear enough, AMD specific stuff goes to AMD section, nvidia specific goes nvidia section, and the rest go here.

They just don't want to see fighting / trolling going on, and I don't blame them.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Who said that?
The rules seem clear enough, AMD specific stuff goes to AMD section, nvidia specific goes nvidia section, and the rest go here.

They just don't want to see fighting / trolling going on, and I don't blame them.

From the sticky.

"They are NOT intended for debate, rumor speculation, comparisons between competing brands"

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, I would think it means that comparisons would need to go in the general video card thread...

Feb 19, 2009
Wait they used FRAPS? that explains a lot.

I was surprise by this statement cos I use fraps too, mostly fine but in a few games I noticed it stuttered and had to turn it off.

Then I remember psolord's tests in Wolfenstein, AMD drops in performance a lot when OSD of fraps is used in some games.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
If you want to discuss and compare Fury X with Nvidia cards then it needs to be done here.
Moderator Subyman

Tapoer

May 10, 2015
I was surprise by this statement cos I use fraps too, mostly fine but in a few games I noticed it stuttered and had to turn it off.

Then I remember psolord's tests in Wolfenstein, AMD drops in performance a lot when OSD of fraps is used in some games.

Yep, on my laptop with a 5650 I have lower performance and stutter if I have OSD on some game (specially Fallout 3 and Skyrim).

OSD kills performance on some games with AMD cards.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009

Actually it was MSI Afterburner's OSD (RTSS) that gave me the trouble in that OGL game. :)

Feb 19, 2009
Why do these sites test BF4 or Hardline in DX11 mode when Mantle for those games are clearly superior in frame rate and smoother in frame times?

Osjur

Sep 21, 2013
Why do these sites test BF4 or Hardline in DX11 mode when Mantle for those games are clearly superior in frame rate and smoother in frame times?

It's not atm and DX actually gives better performance.

And soccerballtux: I was being sarcastic. If Fury is within hair's breadth of Titan X at 4K with that "lousy" 4GB ram then it just proves my earlier posts that 4GB is enough and allocated memory != memory really needed.

I stopped looking at those memory utilization graphs a long time ago because they only measure how much program allocates memory.

Last edited: