AMD Freesync Monitors & Reviews Thread

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Freesync/gsync monitors should ship with the variable frequency range in the product specs. Not just 60Hz, 75 Hz or 144Hz. We should know both top and bottom.

Yeah, the width of the range is a huge deal. I'd say that the percentage difference between top and bottom of the range has more potential to be a dealbreaker than the maximum frequency. I'd rather steady good performance than great performance interspersed with jarring problems.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Thank-you everyone for providing new updated review links... wow that one's Over Drive is disabled too?!
All freesync screens at the moment.

I'd say it's more of a problem on the slow lg ips screens. On the 144hz TN ones you might see it a bit, but shouldn't be too distracting.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Price point is decent on the XG270HU, but it is really stripped down. No VESA mounts and a crappy stand kills it for me.

sakete

Apr 22, 2015
Just saw this press release from Asus released yesterday regarding the MG279Q:

http://rog.asus.com/420062015/gamin...g-display-with-144hz-and-freesync//#prtrigger

Release date in Asia/Europe is early May, North America is late May. Did just see another thread that Asus is already recalling the monitor due to frame skipping (they require a firmware update?)

In some store in the Netherlands it's retailing for &#8364; 620, so in the US it might retail for around $600. Not too bad. This could be my next monitor (waiting on reviews first though).

tg2708

May 23, 2013
Does anyone know if the overdrive is disabled on the asus too? Looking to order one as soon as they are available.

Last edited:

RoarTiger

Mar 30, 2013
the long rumored module free G-SYNC finally arrives
http://anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

Hopefully after another cycle of improvement from the panel manufacturers we can do away with the add on scaler for desktops too. Now the question is when will GPU makers stop decieving consumers by trying to brand the adaptive sync functions included in the adaptor spec.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
the long rumored module free G-SYNC finally arrives
http://anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

Hopefully after another cycle of improvement from the panel manufacturers we can do away with the add on scaler for desktops too. Now the question is when will GPU makers stop decieving consumers by trying to brand the adaptive sync functions included in the adaptor spec.

Gsync news in a Freesync thread? You ought to start a new thread.

RoarTiger

Mar 30, 2013
You can make a new thread if you like. This is hardly the fist post about G-SYNC here. The thread abandoned any semblance of Freesync only discussion on this first page and became a discussion of adaptive sync tech from several manufacturers. Post doesnt need to be moved or all those other related posts would be lost. A title change would be more fitting.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You can make a new thread if you like. This is hardly the fist post about G-SYNC here. The thread abandoned any semblance of Freesync only discussion on this first page and became a discussion of adaptive sync tech from several manufacturers. Post doesnt need to be moved or all those other related posts would be lost. A title change would be more fitting.

I wasn't chastising him. This is a subject deserving it's own thread. It's not just the usual banter between sides. Gsync without the module is pretty major.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Please create a new thread. We are not mixing the two brands in one thread that was started for Freesync. It is too late to change the thread title.

-Rvenger

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Legit Reviews

Source

Anandtech

Source

NX-VUE24%20Social%20Media.jpg

Key features include:

• AMD FreeSync Certified Monitor
  • Resolution: 1920x1080p
  • Refresh Rate: 144Hz with 30Hz -144Hz Adaptive-Sync Range
  • Response Time: 1ms
  • Inputs: DisplayPort 1.2a, HDMI, Dual-Link DVI, and VGA

Looks like the first AMD Freesync monitor with 30Hz to 144Hz range!

I see comments on their Facebook that it is using a TN Panel.

I also read somewhere on another tech forum that they have Over Drive working with Freesync!
Source
[quote name="Peter Nixeus" url="/t/1546934/various-amd-freesync-reviews/1650_50#post_23863846"]

That is correct - Over Drive has been working in our NX-VUE24 displays since AMD provided us with their first non-public BETA Freesync Drivers last year... Over drive is also working with the current AMD cards and current public BETA Freesync Drivers. During our own validation process when we turned ON Over Drive with Freesync ON - it was too strong and had significant pixel overshoot, but at the time we had other more important bugs (unrelated to Adaptive Sync/Freesync) to resolve at the time to get our monitor to be consumer ready.

When it came time to address the Over Drive performance with Freesync, we consulted with AMD and our scalar partner to fine tune it to the best that the display can handle to minimize both ghosting and pixel overshoot. It was a significant improvement and is no longer an issue. From my own eyes, with Over Drive enabled performance was about on par with other VRR monitors I have to play with.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I don't see it getting much traction in consoles. People who buy them just want to plug it into their existing TVs, not buy a new one. Even if all TV manufacturers jumped on board it will be years before it becomes regular appearance.

Maybe if Sony released a Freesync TV specifically for PS4 I could see it being a bullet point against Xbox One. Fluid console gaming between 30-60Hz, quite intriguing since a lot of games struggle to keep their frame rates.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I don't see it getting much traction in consoles. People who buy them just want to plug it into their existing TVs, not buy a new one. Even if all TV manufacturers jumped on board it will be years before it becomes regular appearance.

Maybe if Sony released a Freesync TV specifically for PS4 I could see it being a bullet point against Xbox One. Fluid console gaming between 30-60Hz, quite intriguing since a lot of games struggle to keep their frame rates.

It may take a while, but I predict Freesync TVs will become a thing, and at least one console will support them.
At that point, Nvidia will be really going against a big ecosystem, and it'll be up to them if they want to lose the HTPC market to AMD in order to sell high priced gaming monitors and establish vendor lock in.