TFT Central Full Review

Nixeus NX-VUE24 24" 1920x1080 Freesync 144Hz Monitor

Legit Reviews Announcement
Source

Anandtech Announcement
Source

ASUS MG279Q

TFT Central Review

Samsung UE590 3840x2160 Freesync Monitors (23.6" & 28")

Samsung UE850 3840x2160 Freesync Monitors (23.6", 28", & 31.5")

Viewsonic VX2701mh 27" 1920x1080 Freesync Monitor

Overall Reviews - Freesync Technical Review (no monitor) or More than one Monitor:

LegitReviews

Will update this posting as more monitors are released & reviews are published.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
"The technology delivers. It does exactly what it was designed to do and worked as expected.

From what we’ve seen on pricing, AMD FreeSync compatible displays don’t carry much of a price premium at all. Because the technology doesn’t require any proprietary monitor hardware or licensing fees, if a manufacturer already has compatible panels and scalers in their supply chain, incorporating FreeSync is only a matter of updating the necessary firmware and qualifying the panel. The additional qualification and validation necessary and the AMD FreeSync bullet point may add a few bucks to the final cost, but it seems obtaining a FreeSync compatible display won’t break the bank."

--------------

That's all I wanted, it works as good as G-Sync from their gameplay and it has no major premium associated.

Freesync for the masses!

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Here they come!

Edit - This monitor has a very limited refresh zone (48Hz-75Hz)... I'm looking forward to some reviews with a little more range.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
From the article said:
There are a number of other AMD FreeSync enabled displays coming down the pipeline as well. AMD expects 11 FreeSync compatible displays to hit the scene in the next few weeks, starting with the LG 34UM67 we showed you here and a couple of 27” 1440P displays from Acer and BenQ with 144Hz max refresh rates (priced at $499 and $599, respectively). Additional models from Viewsonic, Samsung, and Nixeus will come later.

Way better than $800. Well, we now know Freesync works as promised, now we just need to see the products.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Looks promising. It even has some features that gsync doesn't. Pretty impressive for something that's "basically" free.

big_slide-2.jpg.ashx

The two graphs above show how frame rates are affected when enabling / disabling V-Sync. With V-Sync enabled (red line) on a display that has a refresh rate of 60Hz, and the games configured for high image quality settings to target the 40-60 FPS range, it is not uncommon to see frame rates bounce between 60 and 30 FPS for a time (half the monitor's refresh rate), which means many frames are duplicated, which introduces lag. We should mention that this is another area where FreeSync has an advantage over G-SYNC. With FreeSync, if V-Sync is disabled, frame rates are not limited by the max refresh rate of the connected display.
http://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-freesync-and-lg-34um67-widescreen-monitor-review?page=3

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Cool! But what about motion blur reduction? I had originally thought that ULMB mode was going to be available for AMD and NV card owners alike. It now seems that ULMB is a feature" of G-Sync, in that it's only enabled when a G-Sync compatible GPU is detected

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Cool! But what about motion blur reduction? I had originally thought that ULMB mode was going to be available for AMD and NV card owners alike. It now seems that ULMB is a feature" of G-Sync, in that it's only enabled when a G-Sync compatible GPU is detected

There are older samsung 120 Hz monitors which work on AMD cards.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
Why have tearing with v-sync disabled on Freesync ??? I thought that was the job of Freesync, to disable tearing without the help of V-sync.

Well, if the game is rendering over the monitor's max refresh rate, it will probably tear no matter what monitor you use. It doesn't matter if it's g-sync or freesync; it will tear because the display is unable to refresh at that rate.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
It's an optional feature, it would be for cases where you have high FPS and are limited by the monitors max refresh rate to reduce the mouse lag.

Below the max refresh rate = adaptive sync (less stutter, no tearing etc.)
Above the max refresh rate = less mouse lag than vsync, but possible tearing (Vsync off)
OR
Above the max refresh rate = mouse lag, no tearing (VSYNC on, the only option in GSYNC)

Competitive FPS spring to mind.

Since it appears to work as expected, prepare for a huge price drop on gsync, or an eventual switch to adaptive sync. Why would consumers pay $150-200 to get locked into NV without a single advantage over a free solution? If intel and NV start using adaptive sync consumers will benefit.

Well, if the game is rendering over the monitor's max refresh rate, it will probably tear no matter what monitor you use. It doesn't matter if it's g-sync or freesync; it will tear because the display is unable to refresh at that rate.
Nope, according to that article gsync isn't capable of that. It has the additional mouse lag above the monitors refresh rate.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

I thought that Freesync will operate like V-sync, if the GPU produces more fps, then the monitor will only output up to the max hz since it will try to sync with the GPU fps output.

If i have to enable V-sync in order to eliminate tearing i really dont see why i need Freesync.

Edit. If i remember correctly, when the GPU is aware of a FreeSync Monitor it automatically knows how many Hz that monitor is and adjusts its fps accordingly to sync with the Monitor refresh rate.

Last edited:

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
There are older samsung 120 Hz monitors which work on AMD cards.

Ah yes that's right. As I recall, those were monitors with Lightboost (an NV feature) which could be made to work with AMD cards via a hack.

Nonetheless, AFAIK, all G-Sync monitors with high refresh rates typically come with ULMB too. So I'm curious to see whether an equivalent feature is natively available on future FreeSync monitors

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Ah yes that's right. As I recall, those were monitors with Lightboost (an NV feature) which could be made to work with AMD cards via a hack.

Nonetheless, AFAIK, all G-Sync monitors with high refresh rates typically come with ULMB too. So I'm curious to see whether an equivalent feature is natively available on future FreeSync monitors

No, they didn't come with lightboost. It was simply turning on frame sequential 3D while in 2d mode. It was samsungs own stuff. The monitors were actually AMD HD3D monitors.

I'm curious about new implementations for AMD too, I believe Benq has their own motion blur implementation but I'm not sure if it works on AMD cards.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
I thought that Freesync will operate like V-sync, if the GPU produces more fps, then the monitor will only output up to the max hz since it will try to sync with the GPU fps output.

Yes it will.

But you can disable that feature and let it tear above max frequency.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Since it appears to work as expected, prepare for a huge price drop on gsync, or an eventual switch to adaptive sync. Why would consumers pay $150-200 to get locked into NV without a single advantage over a free solution? If intel and NV start using adaptive sync consumers will benefit.

I don't think there will be a large price drop on these monitors. Maybe a small drop. Technically they are not competing with Freesync because those who prefer Nvidia only have Gsync as an option. It is not Nvidia's style to drop prices.

Why is there not an ultrawide 1440 listed. Until that arrives I am not purchasing.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
AMD did a FreeSync Conference with their partners yesterday. Here is the Youtube link for those that want to listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3kj0_5P0Y

Good info in the Q&A portion:
1. Eyefinity requires identical Freesync monitors to enable Freesync+Eyefinity (Makes Sense as Freesync is timings dependent)
2. Crossfire + Freesync drivers will be month later (hopefully) from today. That is dissappointing. Gsync fixes frame pacing issues with SLI in my experience so surprised about explanation that the XF drivers will be later due to Frame pacing fixes done for XF in past year.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001

If i have to enable V-sync in order to eliminate tearing i really dont see why i need Freesync.

You are assuming correctly based on the FreeSync Conference video linked by decoy11. V-Sync on is just a way for the driver to cap the framerate to max refresh rate to prevent tearing (same as GSync which will behave this way if VSync is on or off). V-Sync off will allow Freesync to have no frame rate cap at expense of tearing above max refresh rate with the benefit of lower mouse lag.

The mouse lag benefit I'd assume would help more with <100hz monitors so probably a good feature for 4k 60hz monitors. For > 100hz monitors the lag difference between capped and uncapped framerates would probably not be noticeable for most people.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
pls tell me WHERE in that review there is BS.
TESTS AND FACTUAL ANALISYS
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

"subjective analisys" (the title of the page itself
The panel's 75Hz rate and decent response time meant there was no visible ghosting either. If you're viewing content with a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio, however, you'll end up with large, unused portions of the screen, like you see in the 4K Avengers clip above.

We also did quite a bit of gaming on the LG 34UM67, both with and without FreeSync enabled. We played some older titles like Left 4 Dead 2 (which can run at very high frame rates), and some newer titles like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light.

When playing games that run at very high frame rates, the effects of FreeSync aren't quite as noticeable. We're sure if you stopped and stared and looked specifically for visual artifacts, you'd find some, but during actual gameplay they are not always noticeable.

When playing more taxing games, however, with frame rates that may fluctuate above or below 60 FPS or so, the effect FreeSync has on the on-screen imagery and / or lag is great. Disabling V-Sync may eliminate lag, but tearing is evident. And enabling V-Sync may eliminate the tearing, but the lag can be annoying. With FreeSync, the on-screen images don't suffer from visual artifacts and the tearing is also gone.

We wish there was an easy way to visually convey how adaptive fresh technologies like FreeSync and G-Sync affects on-screen animation, but there isn&#8217;t. We don&#8217;t have a means to capture DisplayPort feeds and shooting video of the screen and hosting it on-line doesn&#8217;t capture the full effect either. In lieu of an easy visual method to show how effective adaptive refresh rates can be, you'll just have to take our word for it.

We should also mention that simply using a higher refresh rate on your desktop is also great. There is a noticeable improvement when mousing or even moving windows around the screen, even at the LG 34UM67's 75Hz. If you're the type that gets headaches when looking at a 60Hz screen for too long, higher refresh rates may also help with that.

one review has stats and charts. the other has "feels". feel free to go with the second if you dont care about the actual science behind these two technologies.

a "good" review would be putting a freesync monitor next to a crt and film it on high speed camera. measure the input lag of a mouse factually and not limit yourself to "it feels fine". because in many applications i would not be able to "feel" the lag which is, nevertheless, affecting me. just because its not "visible" it doesnt mean its not there.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I hope the other monitors will be significantly better than the LG. 48 minimum FPS to keep freesync running is rather high. Also looking forward to highspeed cam compares between freesync and gsync.