AMD delays the delay -Kaveri- is its last competitive market gone?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Haserath, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Haserath

Haserath Senior member

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/06/amds-kaveri-apu-slips-again-2014-now/

If so, that would be it for AMD. Haswell wins in everything. Nothing in the low power market. Servers are way behind.

GPU is barely hanging on as well, and will go down with the CPU division.

AMD is laying in the coffin. Without some magical reversal of performance, there is no way they will compete in a competitive way to Intel, or even Nvidia at this point(CUDA market, not consumer market).

What's left for them? Where will they go?

2. Eeqmcsq

Eeqmcsq Senior member

It's time to find another hobby, like SSDs or something. It'll be all Intel for the foreseeable future. Sigh.

3. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

ARM. But ARM is lower-margin and crowded. I hope they can spin off ATI before it's too late.

4. grimpr

grimpr Golden Member

Another AMD doom & glood thread, always returns back like a zombie.

5. MarkLuvsCS

MarkLuvsCS Senior member

And like most zombies, the risen dead lack the meat on the bones to make them whole :p.

6. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Platinum Member

Well they can shrink Trinity to 28nm and make some small improvements maybe. 28nm is bulk, so that wouldn't be too good for frequency/power, would it?

7. -Slacker-

-Slacker- Golden Member

These look more like rhetorical questions designed to get a certain reaction out of readers, rather than honest questions. I actually don't see the point of your thread, in any capacity, unless ... you know ... it's meant to extract a certain reaction.

Also semiaccurate/10.

8. BD231

BD231 Diamond Member

Why now is it not within AMD's reach to produce results similar to the k7 at its induction with a different arch?

9. NTMBK

NTMBK Diamond Member

The only possible benefit I can see coming from this is if they ditch FM2. They need more memory bandwidth for their APUs desperately- a DDR4 socket FM3 would let them really push the size of their on-die graphics. (Preferably backwards compatible with socket FM2, like they did with AM3, so that Vishera users don't get abandoned.)

10. Haserath

Haserath Senior member

I thought that, but with other companies creating custom designed cores, AMD would have to compete with that and Intel with Atom.

They don't have the money or time to do that.
    That's a big if. Plus, wasn't the k7 mostly an architectural revamp to allow higher clocks? I don't think any AMD generational jump has been big enough to make AMD equivalent to Intel at this moment, but, of course, they would only need to be close enough.
    Hard to say. I don't think they'd be able to change Trinity much even with the extra space, and I don't know what bulk will do to their arch after they've been on SOI for so long.
    Seems like a long time to wait though... They really need steamroller/GCN out ASAP on their APU.

Backwards compatibility would also require DDR3/4 controllers.
    If you weren't attached to the company, you wouldn't 'react'. It's easier to tell logical answers from emotional ones if you throw in a little bait.

They are somewhat rhetorical. Sort of to get people thinking about it without necessitating an answer, but I do like to speculate.

Charlie has been Pro-AMD for years, but even he seems to have given up hope. Whether this is true or not, only SA knows(edit: and AMD :p), but if true, this puts AMD in a worse position than I thought.

#10 Haserath, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  11. AtenRa

AtenRa Lifer

I don't expect even Haswells GT3 iGPU to overcome Trinitys iGPU performance.

12. Haserath

Haserath Senior member

Depends on the market you look at.

Mobile has them closer to each other than desktop, where iGPU performance is more important.

Haswell will be more enegy efficient and competent enough to compete with Trinity. Kaveri would've been enough to be sure AMD had the lead, but it's hard to say now.

Kaveri was also supposed to be the beginning of HSA and it's fully combined memory space.

I wonder if console developement has something to do with this...

13. AtenRa

AtenRa Lifer

I will have to disagree, in Mobile, at the same Wattage the performance difference is large in favor of Trinity. GT3 iGPU will not have less power consumption than HD4000 GT2.

also,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/12
    30% max for the low power models, thats not enough to overcome Trinity(perhaps in the 17W arena)

14. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I agree 100% because all these doom anandtech users are getting boring now :(

15. Olikan

Olikan Golden Member

+1

16. jones377

jones377 Senior member

Me thinks Charlie's article is a reaction to getting outscooped by donanimhaber.com, of course he would never admit that himself. I've noticed he does that alot. Some other site delivers a scoop, and the next day Charlie posts an article that says "Of course I knew that all along but couldn't publish it bla bla"

#16 jones377, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  17. Denithor

Denithor Diamond Member

Consoles? Maybe?

As long as it's not too little too late the consoles could give AMD a much-needed shot in the arm.

Unfortunately I hate to think about what's going to happen to PC gaming when all the devs are shooting for is A10-ish performance...

18. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

There are essentially no money for the suppliers to consoles. Its razorthin margins. Having Xbox360 and Wii didnt exactly shower AMD in gold.

19. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

DDR4 aint gonna be mainstream affordable until 2015.

20. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

On the bright side, my 5 year old HD4870 should be good until the next console generation.

21. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

If AMD goes under and gets parted out or sold, will Intel be able to keep producing x86-64 CPUs?

22. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Yes.

23. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Why can't amd focus on video cards and mobile dev?

24. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

I was thinking along these lines: if AMD gets bought out, the cross licencing agreement is broken. The company that buys AMD will not be able to produce x86 CPUs. Is not the same true of Intel? They would need to renegotiate with AMD's new owner as I'm sure all of their modern CPUs use some AMD IP. What am I missing?

25. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

Do you really think Intel would not have been smart enough to protect itself in the licensing agreement for the potential of AMD going bankrupt?