AMD cuts price on 300 & Fury GPUs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Where's the smartness when you lose half the frame buffer for 30$?

Have you seen how games utilize video ram nowadays? I am not saying that they actively need more than 4GB to render high textures with high settings, but they can easily use excess video ram to store important data that will be requested later.

In any case, if someone is buying Hawaii, I don't see the point of not opting for the 8GB model, to give himself some future proofing.

Some people may think that such a card will run out of gpu power long before it runs out of vram. This may turn out to be true. I believe we have all seen that the most important setting that makes a game ugly, is the texture quality setting. Something that affects video ram usage directly. Why would someone want to risk that for 30$?

jack enough assets to fill that 8gb vram, and that single 390x gpu will be choking. reduce enough asset to have that 390x singing and vram will be half empty.

the point is you have absolutely no practical use for that extra vram.

bottom line is. it is your money. spend it as you see fit. even if it has zero performance improvement, perhaps the bragging rights are worthwhile.

obviously we are all guilty of spending way way to much on bragging rights. at least some of us did not buy into it blindly. we actually knew we were buying bragging rights.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eh, I've helped plenty of people here, but I don't feel the need to brag about it. Guess I'm just more humble than others... :)

To be fair, he is a lot less brand-biased than you are. He only focuses on specific metrics and ignores everything else, but he never really shows brand-based bias.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
To be fair, he is a lot less brand-biased than you are. He only focuses on specific metrics and ignores everything else, but he never really shows brand-based bias.

Everyone has brand bias. That is inherent. And that bias doesn't always stem from logical reasoning (I admitted long time I go I went for Radeon over Nvidia because red is my favorite color, that kicked off a 15+ year Radeon devotion haha).

It's when that bias starts to cloud reasoning that it is an issue. I'd never say Russian is illogical, but he is without a doubt bias, and it's towards AMD. I'd say I still favor AMD over Nvidia. I just couldn't support them this round because of the price to performance of my tier.

It wasn't until I slapped an NV card into my rig that I suddenly became an Nvidia fanboy to some people around here, which is sad to be honest.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Not everyone is biased; quite the contrary. Its fairly indicative of your mindset that you would project bias onto everyone... though there are certainly many biased posters around here.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Not everyone is biased; quite the contrary. Its fairly indicative of your mindset that you would project bias onto everyone... though there are certainly many biased posters around here.

There are different levels of bias. But everyone certainly holds some bias. No one is 100% objective. Though it is a good goal to aspire towards.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Everyone has brand bias. That is inherent. And that bias doesn't always stem from logical reasoning (I admitted long time I go I went for Radeon over Nvidia because red is my favorite color, that kicked off a 15+ year Radeon devotion haha).

It's when that bias starts to cloud reasoning that it is an issue. I'd never say Russian is illogical, but he is without a doubt bias, and it's towards AMD. I'd say I still favor AMD over Nvidia. I just couldn't support them this round because of the price to performance of my tier.

It wasn't until I slapped an NV card into my rig that I suddenly became an Nvidia fanboy to some people around here, which is sad to be honest.

If one bias is a metric and a certain brand has generally an advantage on that metric it might not be easy to figure where the bias come from.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

No, his bias is toward the things that he cares about most, such as price/performance. It just happens that AMD fills those qualities better in every segment except enthusiast right now, and that's reflected in everything he says. Even then, however, he pretty much recommends the 970 and 390 equally. At the same time, he's attacked AMD over the price hike on Hawaii, and he never recommends the Fury X, and very rarely recommends the Fury or the Nano.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
RS always recommends almost purely based on price-to-performance. AMD has led in this field almost exclusively until the 980 Ti, with small periods of Nvidia undercutting (680, 970 launches).

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
No, his bias is toward the things that he cares about most, such as price/performance. It just happens that AMD fills those qualities better in every segment except enthusiast right now, and that's reflected in everything he says. Even then, however, he pretty much recommends the 970 and 390 equally. At the same time, he's attacked AMD over the price hike on Hawaii, and he never recommends the Fury X, and very rarely recommends the Fury or the Nano.

One can be bias and critical. I didn't call him a fanboy, and I'd never act like he is. I also said he is never illogical (ie he doesn't let his personal opinion affect his recommendations), however, from all the years posting here and following his posts, he has shown time and time again to prefer AMD over NV.

If I had to guess, it stems to his dislike of Nvidia's tactics. Which is completely understandable. However, I'd wager if all things were equally, he'd choose an AMD product. Hell, I know I would.

Before I get any infractions, I'm a just leave it at that. I like RS, I just like to rib him a few times (mostly for calling me names ;) ).