AMD Congratulates Nintendo for the Wii

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: A554SS1N
I have to say, looking at the Wii's graphics in reviews, they are the most awful I have ever seen - on par with something like the original playstation, and a complete joke for modern consoles given that it costs alot more than even a PS2.

As for a name change to AMD silly graphics name, I'm an NVidia fan myself, but I much prefer the name ATi, as it is a recognised decent brand of graphics processors. AMD Hollywood sounds naff.

This thread *seems* like more of an ATi bashing attempt, rather than providing anything useful, but I don't want to jump to any harsh conclusions first, so lets let the OP respond.

obviously wii pales in comparison to the power houses nestling inside the 360 and PS3

but its still more powerful than the flipper GPU in the gamecube and look what they did with that.....it even had a fixed function TnL logic and it still produced nice graphics.

i couldnt care less if graphics cards were called "sick inducer 9000" id stil buy it if it was good

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: Greenman
Lol, I had no idea ati was in the ps3. I see a rock and a hard place in my future.

It's actually NVidia that's in the PS3.

I just can't get anything right today. Though since I'll never own ps3, wii, xbox or whatever other box is out there, it doesn't really matter.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Lol, I had no idea ati was in the ps3. I see a rock and a hard place in my future.
:confused:
I just can't get anything right today. Though since I'll never own ps3, wii, xbox or whatever other box is out there, it doesn't really matter.
It only doesn't matter anymore because you've ran out of possible GPU suppliers. It's okay, the PS3 has an S3 GPU in it, they haven't practiced viral marketing yet so their GPU's are okay....

I understand what you're saying though, viral marketing isn't exactly something to be happy about. It's just that companies are going to do it, and as long as they make good products I will buy. They can implant viral marketers to forums but they can't do the Jedi-mind-trick to make you unconsciously buy their product.

However, this thread isn't about who practices viral marketing and who doesn't. It's about some pathetic troll who wants to constantly spout flame-bait ramblings and call them threads.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Keep it coming guys. It's a good way to weed out the little children. At least at the mentality level. You know, I could spend an hour, search and dig, and come up with reasons why you should never buy a commercial item ever again, from any company. Actually, any of you can dig a bit and find a reason or two never to buy from a particular company.

"viral" marketing is used by more companies than DAAMIT and Nvidia, I assure you.

You missunderstand. It's not the marketing I have issue with, it's the over the top method that nvidia applies to it. Their approach is along the lines of a used car salesmen, and it annoys the hell out of me. Just look at crusaders first post in this thread, what was the point? Was there any information that any of us needed? Was it an interesting read? Was it something that might make us think a little bit? No, no and no. The only reason was to crow, to hold up a big foam rubber finger and shout "nvidia is #1". nvidia can kiss my a$$, and if ATI responds with their own halfwit I'll say the same to them and go buy a ps3.

There's an nvidia GPU in a PS3. Now I suppose you'll boycott those and go Xbox 360? Oh wait, you can't that has an ATI GPU in it. Well, there's always Wii. Oh wait.........

Your right. There is nothing we can do about companys that do things we don't agree with. There is no point in taking any action at all. What we should do is just accept that we have no controll over anything, take whatever they hand us at whatever price they decide to charge, and say thank you.

btw, you need to reread my post, I have no real issue with viral marketing, so you don't need to defend it.

Why you are assuming I am defending viral marketing is going to remain a mystery even if you try to explain it.

What I am trying to tell you is:

Use your grey matter. Don't get all radical. Just know what to buy and if it's a good match for your needs, regardless of who makes whatever and how they market it. I'm just sitting here watching TV with my son for a while tonight, and all the toy commercials are in full on afterburner for the Christmas season. I just sit and laugh at how they try to get your children to say "Daddy, I want that.... pweeeeeeeease? ::::big cheesy smile::::". You want to hate any type of marketing, you should hate the ones that target children like that. It makes me absolutely sick. Now, I am not saying I will not get my son any of these things he asks me for, but I wont be an idiot either and by crap that I can plainly see is just that, crap.
My son wanted a little plastic piece of garbage train set. He saw it on TV. It looked like it would last all of 6 1/2 minutes and then fall apart. Anyone can see it's garbage and under the use of a 5 year old, couldn't possibly do the things shown in the commercial without careful adult orchestration and planning, and a number of commercial takes. So what did I do? I bought my son a lionel set. Something made well. (I researched countless sources to find the best I could get for my money) and we will be setting it up shortly after he opens it on Christmas morning.

Just to make myself clear Greenman, and so you don't ever say it again, I do not defend viral marketing. You just missed the point I was giving you. Use the grey stuff upstairs and buy smart and not with your heart.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Keep it coming guys. It's a good way to weed out the little children. At least at the mentality level. You know, I could spend an hour, search and dig, and come up with reasons why you should never buy a commercial item ever again, from any company. Actually, any of you can dig a bit and find a reason or two never to buy from a particular company.

"viral" marketing is used by more companies than DAAMIT and Nvidia, I assure you.

You missunderstand. It's not the marketing I have issue with, it's the over the top method that nvidia applies to it. Their approach is along the lines of a used car salesmen, and it annoys the hell out of me. Just look at crusaders first post in this thread, what was the point? Was there any information that any of us needed? Was it an interesting read? Was it something that might make us think a little bit? No, no and no. The only reason was to crow, to hold up a big foam rubber finger and shout "nvidia is #1". nvidia can kiss my a$$, and if ATI responds with their own halfwit I'll say the same to them and go buy a ps3.

There's an nvidia GPU in a PS3. Now I suppose you'll boycott those and go Xbox 360? Oh wait, you can't that has an ATI GPU in it. Well, there's always Wii. Oh wait.........

Your right. There is nothing we can do about companys that do things we don't agree with. There is no point in taking any action at all. What we should do is just accept that we have no controll over anything, take whatever they hand us at whatever price they decide to charge, and say thank you.

btw, you need to reread my post, I have no real issue with viral marketing, so you don't need to defend it.

Why you are assuming I am defending viral marketing is going to remain a mystery even if you try to explain it.

What I am trying to tell you is:

Use your grey matter. Don't get all radical. Just know what to buy and if it's a good match for your needs, regardless of who makes whatever and how they market it. I'm just sitting here watching TV with my son for a while tonight, and all the toy commercials are in full on afterburner for the Christmas season. I just sit and laugh at how they try to get your children to say "Daddy, I want that.... pweeeeeeeease? ::::big cheesy smile::::". You want to hate any type of marketing, you should hate the ones that target children like that. It makes me absolutely sick. Now, I am not saying I will not get my son any of these things he asks me for, but I wont be an idiot either and by crap that I can plainly see is just that, crap.
My son wanted a little plastic piece of garbage train set. He saw it on TV. It looked like it would last all of 6 1/2 minutes and then fall apart. Anyone can see it's garbage and under the use of a 5 year old, couldn't possibly do the things shown in the commercial without careful adult orchestration and planning, and a number of commercial takes. So what did I do? I bought my son a lionel set. Something made well. (I researched countless sources to find the best I could get for my money) and we will be setting it up shortly after he opens it on Christmas morning.

Just to make myself clear Greenman, and so you don't ever say it again, I do not defend viral marketing. You just missed the point I was giving you. Use the grey stuff upstairs and buy smart and not with your heart.

In reality, I agree with you 99%. But if a company annoys me I'll try not to give them my money. I don't think for a second that ATI marketing is any better than nvidia marketing, it's just that nvidia chose the wrong people to support their product (Rollo and and prolly Crusader). With main stream video cards the difference between the two brands is nothing, so my cash goes to the one that doesn't annoy me.

Nelsieus

Mar 11, 2006
Originally posted by: josh6079
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the reason why Crusader made his self-admitted worthless thread: So that if AMDs GPUs are better than Nvidias he can say that he bought an AMD one instead of admitting he purchased something made by ATI.

Your just as pathetic as you are childish. Grow up and stop trying to invoke arguments about names.

That's a pretty long post (didn't quote it all) just to bash somebody, Josh. If you really don't care about the story, then why are you displaying such fury, which quite frankly isn't needed.

Many weeks ago, we had people like apopin and others continually make statements to the degree of "ATI is still a seperate co., they're just closer to AMD now." And instead of those individuals able to come into discussions with open minds to the theory that perhaps AMD really was going to discontinue ATI branding, they attacked people and tried to spin facts to their advantage.

Just because it didn't happen yesterday doesn't dismiss their attitudes, and I see this as merely a person (crusader) with an opposite view providing facts supporting why he believes ATI will not be used as a logo anymore. And wouldn't you admit, this story does do a good job in supporting that point? Even I was a little surprised by how ironic it was being called the "AMD Hollywood."

So instead of going on your witch-hunt tyrades, please be a little more respectful to others' right to defend their positions. Thanks

Nelsieus

Mar 11, 2006
Originally posted by: josh6079
However, this thread isn't about who practices viral marketing and who doesn't. It's about some pathetic troll who wants to constantly spout flame-bait ramblings and call them threads.

This statement is over the top. If Ghondi made his point by killing people, he wouldn't have acomplished much. So you complaining about flamers and then making comments like this is a little ironic.

Nelsieus

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Nelsieus
Just because it didn't happen yesterday doesn't dismiss their attitudes, and I see this as merely a person (crusader) with an opposite view providing facts supporting why he believes ATI will not be used as a logo anymore. And wouldn't you admit, this story does do a good job in supporting that point? Even I was a little surprised by how ironic it was being called the "AMD Hollywood."

But AMD IS keeping the ATI brand and asked their partners to continue using the ATI logo.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20061110103024.html

dreddfunk

Jun 30, 2005
Key - sure, people can use their noodles and try to defuse the impact that marketing has on them. If you look to psychological and sociological studies of the matter, however, this only goes so far. To take a far more serious analogy: a person (even an adult) who is subjected nonstop to continual discrimination and denigration will, over a period of time, eventually have their self-esteem affected negatively. It's human nature: we need the validation of others and constant rejection has an impact.

The deluge of marketing has reached too far into our lives, IMHO. If you want to make factual claims about your product, fine, but selling a beauty cream to my daughter by making her paranoid of acne (and the implication that acne makes her 'ugly' and 'unlovable') is going over the top.

The point is: it's not only our right as consumers to use our 'noodle' but it is also our right to set limits to what constitutes appropriate marketing behavior. For myself, viral marketing is inappropriate on any number of levels.

I understand that you aren't defending it, I'm merely pointing out that the 'use your noodle' response is insufficient.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: dreddfunk
Key - sure, people can use their noodles and try to defuse the impact that marketing has on them. If you look to psychological and sociological studies of the matter, however, this only goes so far. To take a far more serious analogy: a person (even an adult) who is subjected nonstop to continual discrimination and denigration will, over a period of time, eventually have their self-esteem affected negatively. It's human nature: we need the validation of others and constant rejection has an impact.

The deluge of marketing has reached too far into our lives, IMHO. If you want to make factual claims about your product, fine, but selling a beauty cream to my daughter by making her paranoid of acne (and the implication that acne makes her 'ugly' and 'unlovable') is going over the top.

The point is: it's not only our right as consumers to use our 'noodle' but it is also our right to set limits to what constitutes appropriate marketing behavior. For myself, viral marketing is inappropriate on any number of levels.

I understand that you aren't defending it, I'm merely pointing out that the 'use your noodle' response is insufficient.

But if you use your noodle and do a little research on what it is you're going to give your hard earned cash for and let the facts paint the picture, it becomes sufficient.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
If you really don't care about the story, then why are you displaying such fury...
Fury? Who's the one still crying about what they're going to call the chip? Crusader's obviously butt-hurt about there being conflicting reports out as to what label will be on future cards and has an ongoing desire to finally label "ATI" as "AMD."
...which quite frankly isn't needed.
If we're going to talk about necessities, why not enlighten me as to why we needed Crusader to give us more premature evidence? I didn't exactly see threads emerging with titles such as "Where'd ATi's cards go?" or "When did AMD start making GPU's?"

We won't really know what the verdict will be until the R600. Until then differing viewpoints will just be thrown at each other with conflicting evidence until the posters are blue in the face. I just don't see the reason for such a thread unless the purpose is just to ruffle feathers, which seems to be Crusaders goal.
Many weeks ago, we had people like apopin and others continually make statements to the degree of "ATI is still a seperate co., they're just closer to AMD now.". And instead of those individuals able to come into discussions with open minds to the theory that perhaps AMD really was going to discontinue ATI branding, they attacked people and tried to spin facts to their advantage.
This is pure rhetoric that just fails at what it is implying. And there weren't people suggesting that ATI's name would vanish in those threads? Please. There were just as many "attacks" coming from Crusader's viewpoint as there were apoppin's.

You're spinning the previous threads' summary to sound as if those quoting AMD's press release didn't have an "open mind." I haven't seen apoppin say the disappearance of ATI is impossible. I've only seen him state AMD's words claiming that they won't get rid of the name. Whichever happens...who knows--and better yet, who cares?
Just because it didn't happen yesterday doesn't dismiss their attitudes, and I see this as merely a person (crusader) with an opposite view providing facts supporting why he believes ATI will not be used as a logo anymore.
Then you have completely missed Crusaders intentions that he described later:
Originally posted by: Crusader
I knew I'd get flamed for this thread...But theres a lot of people here fighting for the memory of ATI, and the company is just gone.
AMDs running the show now, and that can only mean improvements...The hatchet needs buried in ATIs memory and only AMD itself will convince these guys.
Seems to me he knew that his thread would do a whole lot of nothing. If you knew that making a thread would be pointless, would you still make it?

I'm not surprised Crusader did, and I feel that the majority of Anandtech's Video forum regulars aren't either.
So instead of going on your witch-hunt tyrades...
Witch-hunt? Pointing out the fact that someone made a thread they knew wasn't going to do anything but try and provoke arguments is witch-hunting now?

But now you seem to be turning this thread into a witch-hunt status. That's fine, but give me some warning before you choose to change topics so quickly, because that was rather confusing trying to figure out where pointing out a threads meaningless existence became a witch-hunt.
...please be a little more respectful to others' right to defend their positions. Thanks
Alright. I think Crusader is a worthless troll who only seeks to further his post count with Nvidia compliments and ATi insults instead of contributing useful information. Will you be respectful to my opinion and my right to defend this position?

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: n7
Crusader, you really don't realize how stupid you look do you? :D

I'd think he was AEG, but there's no way AEG would admit to having someone so naive working for them :laugh:

i don't know why ppl keep bringing up AEG stuff; it's an old subject. there is no affilitation between AEG and nVidia at this time, and hasn't been for months. the "nVidia User Group" only works with nVidia directly, and for the most part you'll see signatures indicating that (ck out nzone forums for example).

The nVidia User Group is made up of hardware enthusiasts nVidia has selected to perform a variety of activities.

members get free video cards, access to the same type of info review sites receive, beta drivers, etc. in exchange they use the hardware, report any problems encountered, and forward concerns others post in forums (such as here at AT) to nVidia.

liquid51

Oct 14, 2005
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the good read everybody. Now I won't have to watch Guiding Light or General Hospital for my soap fix.

I got an extra kick out of the wii haters. You guys are definately hardcore.

Oh btw, just be thankful that companies like nintendo and ATI (oops, I'm sorry. AMD) are producing competing products so we ALL don't have to pay $750 for 8800GTX's...