Info AMD confirms Windows 11 slow down its CPUs up to 15%

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deasd

Dec 31, 2013

The issue mentioned in the opening paragraph is caused by functional L3 cache latency which has increased by around three times on affected hardware. The programs that will suffer include those sensitive to memory subsystem access times. AMD noted another problem too, explaining that UEFI CPPC2 may not schedule threads on the processor’s fastest core preferentially.

Regarding the latter issue, applications sensitive to the performance of one or a few CPU threads will see a performance hit. The issue will be more noticeable on greater than 8-core processors that operate at over 65W. This issue should also be fixed this month.

hmmmm, whose fault is it this time? It screw up the future hardware review if true? what about Intel side?

AMD.jpg

ndjxev655tr71.png

Jul 27, 2020
Intel, likewise, has hardware you haven't mentioned at all in the x86 realm that will never run Windows 11 Home or Pro: comm equipment. Lots of little Atoms like Tremont spend their time in comm gear. And God only knows how much of that they sell. So you pretty much have to take THAT out of Intel's corner when calculating the market share that AMD and Intel control of CPUs that could conceivably run Windows 11.
Also, Intel Chromebooks.

Intel: 9.4 Million Chromebooks Sold in Q3 2020 - Thurrott.com

I was wondering why I haven't come across AMD Chromebooks on shopping sites. Now I know why: Ryzen for Chromebooks is a disappointing Intel alternative - 9to5Google

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
You're saying they have to be "told" by other people that there are problems with their own product running on the latest OS? If you want to talk about being lazy and incompetent....
Thank you for (unwillingly?) showing me how twisted your thinking is, so I don't have to make the mistake of talking to you in depth. You're absolutely correct, don't worry! 😉

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
So, yeah, based on what was sold in Q2 2021, 20-30% of x86 sales in CPUs that are not: server, workstation, console, semi-custom, or embedded may well have belonged to AMD. @LikeLinus ' numbers are probably accurate, or at least accurate enough for the purposes of this conversation.
I meant overall desktop/laptop marketshare. I was not including servers, consoles and other systems because they simply do not run Win 11. Sorry if my number was a bit vague, but I put it that way intentionally because I wasn't quite sure what the current number was, but I know the last time I saw it, it was in the mid to high 20% range and I was guestimating. :D It wasn't really my overall point, but I was more pointing out that the people this actually affected was a low percentage between CPU usage, people who have actually moved to Win 11 and the small percentage loss for software outside of games. My apologies for any misunderstanding. :beermug:

Once it's out of dev and in the channel, I'll probably dual boot it on a couple of my 5950 and 5800 to see how it goes. Keeping my Win10 intact until I can verify Adobe CC and other programs that I run are fine.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
BUT they have found the perfect balance in development resources to arbitrarily implement a big LITTLE scheduling paradigm for products that may or may not be launched in the near future and successfully continued on the desktop? Please don't come with market share again, because AMD CPUs will have orders of magnitude higher market share than Ader Lake CPUs for the foreseeable future.

Edit: please don't take the tone personally, I just wanna convey somehow, how unfeasible it sounds to me, that this is not 100% conscious negligence towards any vendor that isn't Intel. No conspiracies, no evil overlords... but also pretty much zero fracks given.
I remember you were one of the most vocal AMDers on this forum always expressing pessimism about how the MS scheduler was going to play havoc with ADL.
You both forget what a scheduling mess that could end up to be. These different cores can look as building blocks on slides, yes. They certainly don't look like building blocks to desktop operating systems though.
Umm... you know that the little cores do *not* have HT, right? What I mean with that question: I just can't see 2 really strong cores together with 8 'maybe Skylake' cores at God knows what freq, even with perfect scaling and scheduling (don't forget, we're still talking about Microsoft here), touching 8 full fledged Zen 3 cores in an MT heavy workload.
This napkin math requires not just actual clock parity as you mentioned, but also 100% efficient and perfectly managed windows scheduling between cores and threads and in-process tasks and such. Good lock with that! To Intel, I mean :)
You know what? I think Intel heard your warnings about how nasty the MS scheduler can get. They then took steps to beef up the scheduling mechanism of the new ADL. Keyword: Beef Up. Because this is where a lot of you, including the conspirators are displaying wanton ignorance. I already said in this thread that Intel and MS already have this same tandem scheduling already present inside Windows 10! Here's Intel on Lakefield, first x86 hybrid chip lauched in Q2, 2020.
Intel Thread Director (ITD) is built on top of Lakefield Hardware Guided Scheduling (HGS) support. It provides Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) awareness to the operating system to indicate performance differences (and power efficiency changes) between the Performance cores and Efficient cores. This awareness allows ITD to schedule threads on the core which best fit the task.
So, all of you who'd rather push this nonsense about Windows 11 being purposely designed for ADL are doing nothing but displaying ignorance. Windows 11 is a platform that supports several generations of x86 arch designs from both AMD and Intel. Intel worked hard to avoid any most pitfalls with the MS scheduler that y'all warned us about. Thank you. In essence, the notorious scheduler has not changed, only thing which has is Intel's foresight and hard work in ensuring that they don't leave their baby at the mercy of the MS scheduler. Maybe AMD should've done same, instead of expecting the W10 scheduler to work seamlessly on W11.
No, wait! This is mostly mostly @Joe NYC and other detractors looking to unload blame on MS without knowing the facts. In the upcoming high stakes game called ADL review, every point counts, and looking at how nobody gave ADL a chance to now seeing it trading blows with the current championship, it'll be fair to assume that some people have started losing sleep? Hah!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Once it's out of dev and in the channel, I'll probably dual boot it on a couple of my 5950 and 5800 to see how it goes. Keeping my Win10 intact until I can verify Adobe CC and other programs that I run are fine.
I just got Win10 21H1 through Windows Update today. Don't have AMD. Is it giving you the same performance as before?

Jul 27, 2020
Anyone using a 3D engine other than Unreal or Unity is either going to have a nice headache adhering to these guidelines or they will simply ignore them for a few years until x86 big.LITTLE becomes commonplace. Looking forward to ADL reviews/forum posts benchmarking not-so-common games.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I remember you were one of the most vocal AMDers on this forum always expressing pessimism about how the MS scheduler was going to play havoc with ADL.
You wrote a book for nothing. At the time there was no imminent Win 11 release with superduper scheduler (which, funnily enough, somehow screws up a perfectly well functioning scheduling for Zen 🤣) in sight, and just days ago every leak suggested ADL will work better on Win 11, despite all the valiant efforts you've so enthusiastically described. I enjoyed the show nonetheless 🙂

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
You wrote a book for nothing. At the time there was no imminent Win 11 release with superduper scheduler (which, funnily enough, somehow screws up a perfectly well functioning scheduling for Zen 🤣) in sight, and just days ago every leak suggested ADL will work better on Win 11, despite all the valiant efforts you've so enthusiastically described. I enjoyed the show nonetheless 🙂
So, after all deriding and chidings you dish out in these forums, you're also just another speculator after all? And your speculations aren't even based on possibilities, they require everything to to be frozen in time? At the time indeed! :D Not to speak of the fact that you're just looking for a way out. I gave you a little education that doesn't agree with what you typed TODAY! Just accept your ignorance like a man.

Personal attacks and insults are not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director[/b[

Last edited by a moderator:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I just got Win10 21H1 through Windows Update today. Don't have AMD. Is it giving you the same performance as before?
I only have it running on my Surface Pro right now. I haven't installed it to any of my other computers because I use them for work from home and they are mission critical. I'm going to throw an additional SSD in my main editing machine and install Win11 on that and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Jul 27, 2020
I only have it running on my Surface Pro right now. I haven't installed it to any of my other computers because I use them for work from home and they are mission critical. I'm going to throw an additional SSD in my main editing machine and install Win11 on that and see how it goes. I'll let you know.
"Win10 21H1", not Win11 21H1. Which version of Win10 is your 5950 running?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
My own speculation here. Microsoft and AMD were both aware of the problem, and were working on a solution. Microsoft pushed the release date up to accommodate Intel and Alder Lake, figuring they'd get the problem sorted shortly after launch. It isn't a grand conspiracy, though Microsoft should have been a little more professional and diligent.

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Today no one can force a "well-informed user" to do any Windows upgrade or update. :mask:

Regular Windows Update, this is not to put it that way a cure for cancer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...e-warning-update-chrome-browser/#4f4d0b965f8f

If not broken do not repair.As an example, in the past i have been using Windows 7 for six years+Windows Update Off.Windows 10, i have same practice WU Off and no problem.
My own speculation here. Microsoft and AMD were both aware of the problem, and were working on a solution. Microsoft pushed the release date up to accommodate Intel and Alder Lake, figuring they'd get the problem sorted shortly after launch. It isn't a grand conspiracy, though Microsoft should have been a little more professional and diligent.

Even then. The reverse wouldn't ever happen.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
No, wait! This is mostly mostly @Joe NYC and other detractors looking to unload blame on MS without knowing the facts. In the upcoming high stakes game called ADL review, every point counts, and looking at how nobody gave ADL a chance to now seeing it trading blows with the current championship, it'll be fair to assume that some people have started losing sleep? Hah!

No, I expected ADL to be very strong, and that extraordinary strong response to it will be needed from AMD with the 3D stacking of however many layers it takes to equal or beat ADL.

It seems that AMD dropped the ball on that and is taking a break from being a performance leader, "celebrating" past glories (with this cringe video) instead of competing.

Luckily for AMD, Windows 11 have such a strong odor right now that it will keep some buyers away from ADL.

PS: I have a long series of posts in this thread on the subject, that AMD will need to meet the ADL challenge:
Info - 64MB V-Cache on 59XX Zen3 Average +15% in Games | AnandTech Forums: Technology, Hardware, Software, and Deals

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
It seems that AMD dropped the ball on that and is taking a break from being a performance leader, "celebrating" past glories (with this cringe video) instead of competing.
Not a good sign. Makes me think there will be several months between now and AMD's eventual competitive hardware response to Alder Lake.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Not a good sign. Makes me think there will be several months between now and AMD's eventual competitive hardware response to Alder Lake.
ADL is not out yet, and has yet to prove anything like dominance, or even competitiveness. As I said in the Intel thread, I will wait until multiple reviews have proven something to even comment. The only thing I have seen suggests that MAYBE it is competitive in performance, at a much higher power rating. But again, I reserve judgement until Next Wednesday (assuming the reviews come out then)

Jul 27, 2020
ADL is not out yet, and has yet to prove anything like dominance, or even competitiveness. As I said in the Intel thread, I will wait until multiple reviews have proven something to even comment. The only thing I have seen suggests that MAYBE it is competitive in performance, at a much higher power rating. But again, I reserve judgement until Next Wednesday (assuming the reviews come out then)
Assuming AMD is not able to bring 3D V-cache to Ryzen 5600 and ADL i5 is 10% faster in games, suddenly AMD won't have the best mainstream gaming CPU. I think this is what AMD is trying to counter with their "celebration" video. Sell as many CPUs as possible before they have to resort to price cuts to make their CPU more attractive to gamers.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
"Luckily for AMD, Windows 11 have such a strong odor right now that it will keep some buyers away from ADL."

LOL, Win 11 doesn't have any issues with ADL. Heck, ADL hasn't even been released yet. This was/is solely an issue with AMD. No clue why people buying ADL would care about something so insignificant, not relevant, and is already fixed.

Good for a laugh though.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
There is no reason about AMD "not being able" of using V-cache even on the 5600X. I saw the AMD video only as a tease of incoming products, because they probably relized this time there is quite the hype for ADL and they wanted to say "we have something competitive in the pipeline".

Reactions: Tlh97

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I doubt AMD can do V-cache on a large volume part like the 5600X. Might be too cost prohibitive for them. They might reserve it for the Ryzen 9.
They're obviously going to come out with another SKU, they won't just replace the 5600X with the "new" 5600X in the channel, and they will increase the price commensurate with the performance increase as well, it won't be free as in beer.

As far as reserving it for Ryzen 9 - consider the GPU equivalent - infinity cache. ALL 6000-series GPUs, even the lowest (so far) RX 6600 have infinity cache. I doubt that they wouldn't make a 6-core SKU with added cache.

Reactions: prtskg

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
I doubt AMD can do V-cache on a large volume part like the 5600X. Might be too cost prohibitive for them. They might reserve it for the Ryzen 9.

Possibly, and maybe reducing the cost of 5600X. But, technically, there is no reason not to. Also, it must be seen, where the cost for die area of ADL is.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
"Luckily for AMD, Windows 11 have such a strong odor right now that it will keep some buyers away from ADL."

LOL, Win 11 doesn't have any issues with ADL. Heck, ADL hasn't even been released yet. This was/is solely an issue with AMD. No clue why people buying ADL would care about something so insignificant, not relevant, and is already fixed.

Good for a laugh though.

Windows 11 was rushed to release, without being properly tested.

There could not be clearer evidence that Microsoft did not do proper QA on Windows 11 than the bug we are discussing. A 15 year old YouTuber can do better QA than the entire Microsoft Corporation.

So most sane people will give Windows 11 the proper time to mature - the proper time Microsoft did not give it with the rushed release.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
There is no reason about AMD "not being able" of using V-cache even on the 5600X. I saw the AMD video only as a tease of incoming products, because they probably relized this time there is quite the hype for ADL and they wanted to say "we have something competitive in the pipeline".

It does not count for much without giving reviewers Zen 3D to test against ADL.