Info AMD confirms Windows 11 slow down its CPUs up to 15%

deasd

Dec 31, 2013

The issue mentioned in the opening paragraph is caused by functional L3 cache latency which has increased by around three times on affected hardware. The programs that will suffer include those sensitive to memory subsystem access times. AMD noted another problem too, explaining that UEFI CPPC2 may not schedule threads on the processor’s fastest core preferentially.

Regarding the latter issue, applications sensitive to the performance of one or a few CPU threads will see a performance hit. The issue will be more noticeable on greater than 8-core processors that operate at over 65W. This issue should also be fixed this month.

hmmmm, whose fault is it this time? It screw up the future hardware review if true? what about Intel side?

AMD.jpg

ndjxev655tr71.png

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hmm, I'm generally opposed to most conspiracy theories, but.... I would be shocked if this issue is fully resolved by the time Alder Lake is released and hardware sites run their benchmarks and put out their stories... It's going to be a one sentence explainer or a footnote at the bottom of pages at best, and we'll probably see UserBenchmark just run wild with this one...

You have to think that MS and their testers have had representative AMD products on their desks for months by now and this hasn't come up before?!?!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Who would use Win11 RTM as their sole review testing platform? You'd have to disclaim everything as being a potential artefact of Win11's lack of maturity. It would be like reviewing gaming graphics cards but only with one game that was released yesterday.

It would make some sense to have a dual platform (in terms of OS versions) setup, but this scenario works best for MS to show off Win11's improvements.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
This is Microsoft fault, but why AMD didnt realised this sooner? everyone has access to the insider builds.

On one hand I can understand AMD thinking, "pre-release product, let's wait till they have something closer to release", on the other hand I'm surprised that they haven't been working with MS prior to RTM.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Hmm, I'm generally opposed to most conspiracy theories, but.... I would be shocked if this issue is fully resolved by the time Alder Lake is released and hardware sites run their benchmarks and put out their stories... It's going to be a one sentence explainer or a footnote at the bottom of pages at best, and we'll probably see UserBenchmark just run wild with this one...

You have to think that MS and their testers have had representative AMD products on their desks for months by now and this hasn't come up before?!?!

I dunno dude. This entire OS seems like a rushed release. Heck, the updated paint doesn't even have a dark mode. Let me repeat that. Their own app doesn't support the theme in their own OS. Just crazy.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
I dunno dude. This entire OS seems like a rushed release. Heck, the updated paint doesn't even have a dark mode. Let me repeat that. Their own app doesn't support the theme in their own OS. Just crazy.

It's the best to stay away from this garbage for 6-12 months.

It's not even close to being ready if they are finding obvious showstopper bugs 3 days after release...

Clearly, there is no testing / QA done by Microsoft. They just send it out for users to test their code.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Clearly, there is no testing / QA done by Microsoft. They just send it out for users to test their code.
Just to joke about Bethesda games and took to calling them Bugsoft as they always released games where their users had to fix all the issues. Just was well TES (and later Fallout) modding took off; and didn't Microsoft recently buy Bethesda?

Maybe Microsoft are going to release a Creators Kit for Windows so users can fix their QA issues?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You should definitely upgrade now if you're cool with a beta OS and don't need your computer for any critical tasks.

It can't be that beta of an OS. It's just Windows 10 with some UI tweaks and a new name so OEMs can push buying new.

It's not even close to being ready if they are finding obvious showstopper bugs 3 days after release...

I bet they've known about it for awhile, they are just making it public now because of the release. Not sure if this is an AMD specific security hole they are patching or an Intel conspiracy.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
I bet they've known about it for awhile, they are just making it public now because of the release. Not sure if this is an AMD specific security hole they are patching or an Intel conspiracy.

Where do you get that this is a security hole? No one said that.

Security hole does not manifest itself typically with a 15% slowdown.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Just to joke about Bethesda games and took to calling them Bugsoft as they always released games where their users had to fix all the issues. Just was well TES (and later Fallout) modding took off; and didn't Microsoft recently buy Bethesda?

Maybe Microsoft are going to release a Creators Kit for Windows so users can fix their QA issues?

Modders have already started :innocent:

Windows 11 Tweaks Fixes And Modifications - Post Index

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Yep

I really question why you need to release it now? Holiday release / CES 2022 new hardware release?

Bad press will hurt Windows 11 more than 3 months of sales.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Joe NYC

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yep

I really question why you need to release it now? Holiday release / CES 2022 new hardware release?

Do you really have to ask?

It's not just for today either. The sooner you get it out there, the sooner corps running Skylake and Kaby Lake who don't have a formal refresh process will be compelled to buy new.

Bad press will hurt Windows 11 more than 3 months of sales.

"It runs bad on AMD" isn't going to hurt Intel laptop sales.

Reactions: lobz and lightmanek