AMD build with ECC support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Reddit r/AMD AMA (Lisa Su, Robert Hallock & James Prior)

This is what I can find. Just search for ecc on the thread
Just replicating the relevant parts for anybody interested.

A: AMD_Robert Technical Marketing
ECC is not disabled. It works, but not validated for our consumer client platform.

Q:
What does "validated" mean in this context? What sort of stumbling-block does that represent to those who want ECC? Will it still be possible to build ECC-enabled servers with consumer-grade (and consumer-price-range) hardware on the Ryzen platform? There are a significant portion of users who want ECC for their NAS/Homelab setups.

A: AMD_james Product Manager
Validated means run it through server/workstation grade testing. For the first Ryzen processors, focused on the prosumer / gaming market, this feature is enabled and working but not validated by AMD. You should not have issues creating a whitebox homelab or NAS with ECC memory enabled.

Q:
So the Ryzen has full ECC support, if I install a ECC memory, it would work in ECC mode, not non-ECC mode?

yes, if you enable ECC support in the BIOS so check with the MB feature list before you buy.

Q:
Thank you for the answer! So, the AM4 platform / socket theoretically has everything to fully support ECC and it's only up to mainboard manufacturers. Is that correct?

A: AMD_Robert Technical Marketing
Bingo.

Yes, it's down to BIOS support.

Reactions: Drazick and Markfw

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I just did some research. It appears that all Ryzen PRO CPU's have integrated video, but my example I was searching for is 3700U, so its a 3000 series, but with a vega 10 GPU on board.

I don't know how this was a mystery to me until now.....
There are PRO versions of most of the previous CPUs, eg: 1700, 2700X, 1600, etc. I assume that the 3XXX series will be the same.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
I just did some research. It appears that all Ryzen PRO CPU's have integrated video, but my example I was searching for is 3700U, so its a 3000 series, but with a vega 10 GPU on board.

I don't know how this was a mystery to me until now.....

There are pro cpus with and without integrated graphics - any based on the 8c die wouldn't have any.
Models are split between having no gpu and those with gpus.

Edit: Ha, seems maddie beat me to it with the same source.

scjrr

Feb 7, 2012
I have successfully installed unbuffered ECC RAM on an x370 taichi motherboard with a Ryzen 1800x running 64GB of DDR4-2400.

I have also successfully installed unbuffered ECC RAM on an x570 taichi motherboard with a Ryzen 3900x running 64GB of DDR4-2666. I've stuck to the Taichi motherboards for ECC since it seems that people have had the most success with ECC for these boards.

Windows reports that ECC is installed for both platforms (Memory error correction code 6: Multibit ECC) reported by the powershell command "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection ".

Memtest86 sees the ECC for the 1800x but doesn't detect ECC with the 3900x (probably because its so new).

If you read the Taichi motherboard documentation, it says that Picasso/Ravenridge (APUs) do not support ECC except for the pro series. All the non-APU silicon supports ECC without needing pro versions.

None of the ECC kits are very fast. The fastest I've seen is 2666.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Sorry for late reply, I went to sleep, but I see that other members jumped in with most of the links to relevant pieces of information.

Here is link to one of Level 1 Tech videos where he talks about overclocking ECC memory on Ryzen. His demo rig is running X470 chipset and I think he is using AsRock motherboard.

There was also big thread on overclockers forum but I'm on holidays typing this from phone so please use google for more info.
Bottom line is, Ryzen 1xxx 2xxx and 3xxx series works with ECC. If it correctly reports errors to system watch, depends on BIOS.

Reactions: Yeroon

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Jumping in incase anyone cares. I've been running 1st gen 1700 (@3.7) on an ASUS X370-F (mid-high range consumer board) with 64GB ECC (4x16GB) since Q3 2017. ECC RAM is stock CL17 @ 1.2V 2400, but been running same timings @ 1.35V 3000 since day one. I can't imagine the situation has got worse since then.

Reactions: lightmanek

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
3200 speed unbuffered ecc memory should be here any month now ...
Anyone seen some in the wild yet ?

Reactions: Drazick

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
3200 speed unbuffered ecc memory should be here any month now ...
Anyone seen some in the wild yet ?
Considering how easy my older ECC RAM handled an OC I would not be surprised.

And I'd assume the market for EUDIMMs will increase rather than being tied down to ulltra conservative settings as it's historically been because of it's association to pro markets.

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I have many HP 16gb 2133 ddr4 cl15 original rdimms from my work where i have many dl380g9 servers.
You think they will play fine with a 3700? I have still not decided what motherboard i will buy but im considering something with ipmi even if it is x470 like the asrock one because i need ecc support for my home vlab
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications
No. Ryzen won't work with registered dimms. You can only use unbuffered ECC ram.

Reactions: bluechris and houe

houe

Nov 10, 2005
I'm looking at the possibility of the ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 series processor. I don't see any validated memory from asus for ECC however. Are we just on our own to select memory?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm looking at the possibility of the ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 series processor. I don't see any validated memory from asus for ECC however. Are we just on our own to select memory?
In my experience RAM is RAM. For my ECC I have 2666 Crucial, 2400 Crucial and 2400 Kingston. All worked without a hitch in my X370/X470 motherboards. The only thing to watch out for - refer to my last post - Ryzen only supports unbuffered ECC ram which is typically harder to find and more expensive than RDIMMs that are sold on ebay in droves.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
In my experience RAM is RAM. For my ECC I have 2666 Crucial, 2400 Crucial and 2400 Kingston. All worked without a hitch in my X370/X470 motherboards. The only thing to watch out for - refer to my last post - Ryzen only supports unbuffered ECC ram which is typically harder to find and more expensive than RDIMMs that are sold on ebay in droves.
The aren't too expensive. 16 gig ECC ram.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The aren't too expensive. 16 gig ECC ram.
Prices have fallen down. I remember paying $150 per stick for mine. They're still more expensive than RDIMMs you can get from ebay - current low is $60 for 16GB DDR4 2666 RDIMM. Unfortunately Ryzen only works with unbuffered RAM and you can't buy those for cheap on ebay. That was my point - unbuffered ECC DIMMs is the most expensive kind to buy, if you need/want 64GB or more, you'll have to shell out some serious money on RAM.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Thx... I need 64gb at least so this is a good expense.... Care to say a specific 16gb stick to buy?
As I said before, in my experience it didn't matter one bit. I have Crucial 2400, 2666, and Kingston 2400, they all work fine. Just get whatever fastest ram fits your budget. If you have heatsink clearance issues Crucial even makes 2666 low profile sticks although they're a bit harder to find and more expensive than the rest.

Reactions: bluechris

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
lol no. I don't see it happening either.
I don't see why not.
Ryzen Pro has official ECC support and if someone decides to launch Workstation class laptop based on Ryzen Pro ...

I can test my ASUS TUF with ECC SODIMMs if I can get my hands on a set. I'm semi expecting it to work.

d351r3d

May 14, 2020

The ram doesn't show as compatible in pcpartpicker but the supported part by the motherboard say that the part is compatible with the ryzen 3700X.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-14-15-26-24-698_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-14-15-26-24-698_com.android.chrome.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 7