AMD build with ECC support

houe

Nov 10, 2005
I haven't paid much attention to computer cpus for quite a few years now. I'm running an intel 3770k right now. I'm looking to do a new build and I would like to probably go with AMD but I really want to have ECC memory. I'm hearing conflicting information on AMD's support for ECC memory. Can someone set me straight on this? What CPU and mobo/ram would someone pair up to get an official supported ECC build? Thanks guys!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The current CPU's all support ECC, its the motherboard that must also support it. Maybe someone here knows which do support ECC for sure.

Edit: Maybe it more widespread support than I thought. The x470 ASRock Taichi for example supports it. Its in the description.

Reactions: Drazick

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
In the Taichi's case and probably all cases, you need a PRO CPU to use the ECC ram properly.

I've seen them on Ebay but I don't trust it as too easy to falsify. Anyone know a retail reputable vendor of PRO CPUs

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Are EPYC all PRO CPUs? I'm really looking to build a workstation class computer. I work with embedded Linux and have to build Linux and complete file systems.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Are EPYC all PRO CPUs? I'm really looking to build a workstation class computer. I work with embedded Linux and have to build Linux and complete file systems.
Threadripper is HEDT, EPYC is server, those ALL support ECC on any motherboard, but they are most costly. Whats the budget ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I just saw the budget. EPYC is out. ECC is out. But you can get a 16 core 32 thread 2950x threadripper, and a x399 ASRock Taichi, and 32 gig of pretty good ram(4 x 8 gig, expandable easily to 64) for $1200. NOT ECC though. ECC memory is really expensive. EPYC is expensive and 8 channel ram and motherboards are expensive for them

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Ok let's do it like this. What would it cost for cpu/mobo and 32gb ecc ram. That's my budget. I'll reuse the rest of my computer.

houe

Nov 10, 2005
Thanks scannell. Is threadripper the only way to get ecc memory? I guess gen3 TR isn't out yet...

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks scannell. Is threadripper the only way to get ecc memory? I guess gen3 TR isn't out yet...
Some X570 motherboards support ECC. I think the Gigabyte ones? Have to do a bit of research first.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
You can wait few more weeks for TR3 or go with Ryzen 3000 CPU.

All Ryzen CPUs will work with ECC memory if motherboard supports it. ASUS has their workstation AM4 motherboards, Gigabyte and AsRock too have ECC support enabled on AM4. How usable it is, is something you will have to investigate.
Ryzen PRO officially supports ECC where Ryzen does it without AMDs support, but it works.

Threadripper platform is build with ECC support for all boards and processors, so least confusing and easiest to get working.

I would personally wait for TR3 if not in a hurry with your purchase.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
You can wait few more weeks for TR3 or go with Ryzen 3000 CPU.

All Ryzen CPUs will work with ECC memory if motherboard supports it. ASUS has their workstation AM4 motherboards, Gigabyte and AsRock too have ECC support enabled on AM4. How usable it is, is something you will have to investigate.
Ryzen PRO officially supports ECC where Ryzen does it without AMDs support, but it works.

Threadripper platform is build with ECC support for all boards and processors, so least confusing and easiest to get working.

I would personally wait for TR3 if not in a hurry with your purchase.
Can you point me to where I can find definitive info on this?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Some board vendors advertise as such. Like here. A first-hand report it is not easy to come by because the use case is rather uncommon.

Reactions: lightmanek

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Some board vendors advertise as such. Like here. A first-hand report it is not easy to come by because the use case is rather uncommon.
That motherboard link implies the use of a PRO CPU to unlock ECC. No apparent support for the normal Ryzen CPU. It appears that this is the case for all. The dubious claim for ECC with normal Ryzen desktop CPUs is not supported by the MB vendors. Anyhow, it's still good to know.

from the specs list
"ECC Memory (ECC mode) support varies by CPU"

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That motherboard link implies the use of a PRO CPU to unlock ECC. No apparent support for the normal Ryzen CPU. It appears that this is the case for all. The dubious claim for ECC with normal Ryzen desktop CPUs is not supported by the MB vendors. Anyhow, it's still good to know.

from the specs list
Stupid question, as I have seen multiple mention of a Ryzen Pro CPU, but what is the model number ? And maybe a link ?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

from the specs list
All Ryzen CPU's support ECC. The APU's and the construction core AM4 chips do not. It's up to the motherboard vendor to support and validate it.

Reactions: lightmanek

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I run regular Ryzen chips with ECC ram.

If one can trust the following command to properly report ECC support in windows: "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection" then pretty much every single motherboard I've tried supports and works with ECC ram.

I have personally tested Asrock X370 Professional Fatal1ty, Asus X470 Prime Pro, and Asus X470 Strix-F with a variety of Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 chips. In every single instance the following command reported that I had ECC ram. So while nobody officially supports it, it would appear that unofficially there is pretty wide support for it anyway.

Keep in mind that ECC ram is pretty slow though, I think my fastest chip is 2666.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Stupid question, as I have seen multiple mention of a Ryzen Pro CPU, but what is the model number ? And maybe a link ?
From what I've seen there are Ryzen PRO equivalents for all the normal Ryzen models, down to the xxxxge APUs. I've only seen them on Ebay for sale as a retail item.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I run regular Ryzen chips with ECC ram.

If one can trust the following command to properly report ECC support in windows: "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection" then pretty much every single motherboard I've tried supports and works with ECC ram.

I have personally tested Asrock X370 Professional Fatal1ty, Asus X470 Prime Pro, and Asus X470 Strix-F with a variety of Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 chips. In every single instance the following command reported that I had ECC ram. So while nobody officially supports it, it would appear that unofficially there is pretty wide support for it anyway.

Keep in mind that ECC ram is pretty slow though, I think my fastest chip is 2666.
Stupid questions?

Is it safe to assume that it's working correctly in error correction mode versus just reporting that ECC ram is in the memory slot?
Or, does it need, maybe a flag to be set correctly to work, which happens when a PRO CPU is in the socket?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Stupid questions?

Is it safe to assume that it's working correctly in error correction mode versus just reporting that ECC ram is in the memory slot?
Or, does it need, maybe a flag to be set correctly to work, which happens when a PRO CPU is in the socket?
The motherboards that are actually validated for it, like the one in the above link use it correctly. Not all motherboards are validated for it, so choose wisely when purchasing one for that.

Reactions: maddie

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Stupid questions?

Hard to say. Theoretically if a system detects flipped bit it should log it into Windows Event Log. So far I haven't seen any. One could overclock the memory beyond being stable and see what happens, that's the only practical way I can think of that would definitively tell if it's working or not.

Here's a very old article on ECC ram when Ryzen just came out:
https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threads/ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-a-deep-dive.75030/

In their review the wmic command reported 3 which is NO ECC. In my systems that I've tested it reports 6 on all systems equipped with ECC ram.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just did some research. It appears that all Ryzen PRO CPU's have integrated video, but my example I was searching for is 3700U, so its a 3000 series, but with a vega 10 GPU on board.

I don't know how this was a mystery to me until now.....