AMD Bristol/Stoney Ridge Thread

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
OK guys, this topic is to discuss about AMD Bristol ans Stoney.

Also I am not coming with no info.

In WCCF Tech, they released a new that the specifications of Bristol Ridge processors

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-fp4-family-leak/

If the info is correct, seems that AMD learned about Carrizo disaster.

Also, the Base Clock increase is brutal in all scenarios. Maybe is finally when BR becomes decent?

Or maybe the OEMs goes in mode retarded again and will screw up another generation of AMD

PS: Thanks dresdenboy for the information

Last edited:

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
It suggests a uplift in the efficiency but baseclocks are increased due to higher cTDP ceiling.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Those look really good actually. But...WCCFTech :/ Can we trust this data?

Still, this is what AMD needed like 2 generations ago. Now if only they can make sure OEMs treat their products properly! Carizzo died of essentially technological SIDS because the OEMs were holding a blanket over its face...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I thought DDR4-2133 was slow with Skylake.

Can't imagine what DDR4-1866 would be like.

Are these chips still limited to DDR4-2400 max?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Those look really good actually. But...WCCFTech :/ Can we trust this data?

Still, this is what AMD needed like 2 generations ago. Now if only they can make sure OEMs treat their products properly! Carizzo died of essentially technological SIDS because the OEMs were holding a blanket over its face...
INBF Bristol Ridge is ditched by the OEMs and only Stoney Ridge is shown up as the "highest" tier by the OEMs

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Given the DDR4 speeds, even at 2133 and 2400, one would likely want to run DDR3 to get the best performance. I think DDR3-2133 is probably the fastest ram on the chart?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Or perhaps if DDR4 is limited to 2400 and DDR3 is not speed limited?

But then, I don't think we ever got clear info on the DDR4 limit of these chips?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I guess there's nothing explicitly saying you couldn't run DDR4 at 1866. Hard to imagine that table is correct though.

It's so obvious, that if it's an error, you'd think it would have been corrected.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Intel lists DR4-1866 as a supported memory for Skylake, so I think it's not a mistake.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
There is no mistake, 15W TDP SKUs will only use 1866MHz speed.

That is unfortunate. I would have been nice if DDR4's lower power consumption had allowed higher memory speeds in the 15W bin, but perhaps those savings don't extend to the memory controller.

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
Im looking forward for FM2+ part and later for AM4 part of desktops Bristol ridges

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
By the time there is enough of GPU defective Bristol Ridge silicon, AM4 is already around. No need to release Bristol Ridge CPUs for FM2+.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
There is no mistake, 15W TDP SKUs will only use 1866MHz speed.

Just to point out that im expecting OEMs to still using 1600MHz single channel memory on those 15W TDP SKUs so dont expect too much.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Just to point out that im expecting OEMs to still using 1600MHz single channel memory on those 15W TDP SKUs so dont expect too much.

I am expecting AMD to send out review samples which are bugged in actually running dual channel RAM,and then Kaveri will beat it and so will Intel.

Then,notebookcheck or some other site which gets laptops from manufacturers will find it can run dual channel RAM fine,and its AMD just being cheapskate in sending buggy hardware out for review.

Anybody casually looking at the Anandtech article will have the take home message that OEMs don't care about AMD and that the SKUs actually for sale are in reality gimped with a half performance memory controller,etc so nobody should bother with AMD after all the hype with Carrizo.

Yet,look at the notebookcheck review who got their sample from HP,we see that Carrizo was a decent improvement over Kaveri at lower TDPs. It has a magical Carrizo chip which can run dual channel memory at 15W TDP unlike all the laptops at AMD HQ had which supposedly have gone back in time.

I expect the same for Bristol Ridge - AMD will probably fudge all the review samples in some way. They have done it with their last few GPU launches too. Then they will blame the OEMs.

Last edited:

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
Anybody casually looking at the Anandtech article will have the take home message that OEMs don't care about AMD and that the SKUs actually for sale are in reality gimped with a half performance memory controller,etc so nobody should bother with AMD after all the hype with Carrizo.
You don't need a tech blog article to illustrate the obvious. You only have to shop for AMD OEM systems and to know something of the industry's relationship with intel.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
You don't need a tech blog article to illustrate the obvious. You only have to shop for AMD OEM systems and to know something of the industry's relationship with intel.

In the UK you can get a reasonable number of Carrizo based laptops now.

But the problem is that the article indicates that probably ALL the Carrizo systems are probably gimped with the memory controllers which is not the case,which means the one advantage they have,ie, light gaming is more or less gone.

Even the people who I know wouldn't mind buying an AMD laptop,would probably look at the article and not bother.

The reality is that websites like notebookcheck have shown the memory controllers are fine,even at lower TDPs,as they can be run in dual channel.

So,what the heck somebody is smoking at AMD,I have no clue - firstly sampling bugged laptops which have memory controller problems not seen in production laptops people can buy and then using a Kaveri based laptop running in dual channel to compare to Carizzo systems running in single channel. FFS,how can you have faith in a company which doesn't even seem to realise the laptops in its own HQ are not even fully functional.

AMD has a problem of concentrating too much on the future.

They need to concentrate on the present first so they can actually sell their products,and then that way they can probably stop making the amateurish mistakes they have made with so many of their CPU and GPU launches.

Then its another quarter when they will take a "charge" for inventory write downs.

Even if Bristol Ridge is a decent update and Zen is good,this is the problem with AMD - their marketing just fails massively nowadays and seems very disconnected and disorganised. It lacks coherent focus and misses on important details during launches.

Since AMD is a combined CPU/GPU vendor they need to even more vigilant as any screw-up on both sides affects the AMD brand as a whole. Plus their competitors are ruthless and will make sure any missteps are taken advantage of.

Companies like Nvidia and Intel have released poor products too or hit some big problems too,but in the end their marketing seems to be more in tune with the companies as a whole and have tended to help and not hinder the companies in the long term.

Last edited:

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
AMD should configure Bristol Ridge APUs so that they won't boot unless both RAM channels are populated. That may be the only thing that stops OEMs from sabotaging this release the same way they did with Carrizo. Unfortunately, even that won't stop the OEMs from using 1366x768 TN panels, terrible trackpads, and all the other things that make a laptop into a craptop. Ideally, AMD should design a reference ultrabook and make it available for sale to enthusiasts and business customers, but this may not be financially feasible.

I agree that AMD's marketing is utterly terrible. I can't believe that they mismanaged the Anandtech Carrizo review so badly - this is complete amateur hour. Hopefully, Zen and Polaris will be good enough that the marketing department won't be able to screw them up...

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
OEMs in general cut corners wherever they can. Even my Dell 7559 comes with 1x8GB DDR3L-1600, when the 6700HQ/HM170 in it is dual channel... talk about crippling the performance! Day 1 upgrade is another 8GB stick.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
OK guys, this topic is to discuss about AMD Bristol ans Stoney.

Also I am not coming with no info.

In WCCF Tech, they released a new that the specifications of Bristol Ridge processors

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-fp4-family-leak/

If the info is correct, seems that AMD learned about Carrizo disaster.

Also, the Base Clock increase is brutal in all scenarios. Maybe is finally when BR becomes decent?

Or maybe the OEMs goes in mode retarded again and will screw up another generation of AMD

PS: Thanks dresdenboy for the information

I am glad to see AMD have separate model designations for the 15W 512sp model and the 35W 512sp model.

With Carrizo we had no way of knowing if FX-8800P in particular laptop was 15W cTDP or 35W cTDP.