AMD Briefing with Eric Demers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: nitromullet
I'm glad to see that ATI's marketing dept is keeping at it. ATI (and AMD) have always 'played nice' in comparison to NV and Intel, and it's good to see them going on the offensive a bit.

Yeah, a typical behavior of a company being run by engineers and not marketing experts, finally some offensive moves. :roll:

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm glad to see that ATI's marketing dept is keeping at it. ATI (and AMD) have always 'played nice' in comparison to NV and Intel, and it's good to see them going on the offensive a bit.

This. Nvidia's marketing has been "agressive" to say the least time after time. Being passive doesn't help much in marketing and hopefully AMD got the clue finally and keep up the pressure.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
nvidia wasn't aggressive because of personalities just like ati wasn't passive; they both do what their market position dictates. ATI's current dominant position dictates that they should go on the offensive; when gt300 comes out and opens up some of mr huang's whoop ass, nvidia will resume their offensive. When ati/amd is playing 2nd fiddle (most of the time in both gpus and cpus) they are more apt to be quiet like a mouse. This is an unfamiliar position for nvidia, but they have clearly learned from their competitors and are now focused on getting the engineering right before talking smack.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: RobertR1

This. Nvidia's marketing has been "agressive" to say the least time after time. Being passive doesn't help much in marketing and hopefully AMD got the clue finally and keep up the pressure.
It's not like they need to do much either; they currently have a product that pretty much sells itself. If this was the chance or incentive they were waiting for to get the ball rolling, I'm glad as well to see them finally "get in the game."

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: MrK6

It's not like they need to do much either; they currently have a product that pretty much sells itself. If this was the chance or incentive they were waiting for to get the ball rolling, I'm glad as well to see them finally "get in the game."

While people like us on tech boards like to think that good tech will sell itself, it has been demonstrated that this is not the case. Take a look at Pentoum D vs. Athlon64 X2...

Sure, AMD sold a lot of cpus to enthusiasts and certainly gained some mind share, but AMD failed to capitalize on this success to see them through the leaner Phenom years. Whereas Intel could comfortably rest on their laurels to see them through the Prescott and Pentium D era, and now they've come back with Core.

The difference: marketing and brand recognition. Everybody knows who Intel is, but no one knows who AMD is.

It seems that this concept has finally made its way into ATI's strategy.