AMD breaks 7.0ghz on its cpu

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
WTF are we discussing here? World records? This is a WR for a thread going OT in cpu forum history! WOOT!1!

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: taltamir
i honestly never heard of the practice... it sounds very marginal and "nerdy"... don't get me wrong, I am a nerd, but I am having a hard time imagining an average kid enjoying a cryptography project in his cereal.

I remember when I was a kid they had cereal boxes "Fruity Pebbles" or "Lucky Charms" or some other sugar-sweetened cereal, and your find a pair of red glasses inside the lid that would let you read the code letters on the outside of the box and then there was a rotating wheel inside the box that you would spin for each letter to get the coded answer... which was always some marketing thing as I recall.

At the time, I thought it was pretty cool. But I've always been a nerd.

Back on the original topic, I'm always amazed that the PLL's can lock at these frequencies and the Hypertransport SerDes connection can train. It's one thing to run CMOS digital binary logic inside the CPU at some insane speed... it's CMOS, noise-margins are amazing, it scales. What always boggles my mind is that analog circuitry - particularly cryogenically frozen analog circuitry which interfaces with non-cryogenically frozen circuitry - is able to work. If I'd never seen anyone do it and people asked me if it could be done, I'd have to say "no, that would never work". But I must be overanalyzing it because it does work.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
One thing that sort of confuses me when some large corporation like AMD does a liquid nitrogen or helium overclock as a publicity stunt is their insistence on utilizing techniques similar to those used by comparatively-poor hobbyists that have attempted the same thing. They put a pot on top of the ihs, bolt it on, and pour in the ln2.

Granted they may have done things differently with the LHe but I'm ignorant when it comes to their exact methods for handling that stuff.

Why don't they submerse every element of the system in coolant? Well, every element not possessed of moving parts. Are they worried that some PCB will embrittle and crack?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
One thing that sort of confuses me when some large corporation like AMD does a liquid nitrogen or helium overclock as a publicity stunt is their insistence on utilizing techniques similar to those used by comparatively-poor hobbyists that have attempted the same thing. They put a pot on top of the ihs, bolt it on, and pour in the ln2.

Granted they may have done things differently with the LHe but I'm ignorant when it comes to their exact methods for handling that stuff.

Why don't they submerse every element of the system in coolant? Well, every element not possessed of moving parts. Are they worried that some PCB will embrittle and crack?

As pm is touching on - there are lots of analog components on your motherboard which simply cease to function electrically when reduced to cryogenic temperatures.

Those vrms you need to regulate the voltage for the cpu and ram for instance. And the capacitor decouplers, some simply stop being capacitors when you get the temperature low enough.

But beyond that, the reason the technique seems so similar and garage'esque is because AMD brought in the same guys who do it that way in their garages. And the reason for that is AMD wants to be seen as supporting well known OC'ers who have street cred...it adds even more advertising value to the endeavor. Otherwise it would just be paid-for shills do some shilling.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well thanks for clarifying. I didn't know caps could cease to function at cryogenic temperatures. Learn something new every day!

Yeah the whole street cred thing makes sense. It probably saves AMD some money by doing things the same way people on a budget would do it anyway.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Does anyone really care though? I couldn't give a **** if a CPU hits a high frequency on Ln2- that is of no use to me as a prospective (high end) buyer, interesting that AMD (and many manufacturers, Giga, Asus, DFI) keep sponsoring these events- I would think the money could be better used elsewhere.

I agree. Any O/C that isn't 24/7 is really a waste. I do really like turbo mode . . The new turbo on 32nm is really going to kick ass. But This world record stuff on Compressed gas is really cool . Besides I like AMD gets some sunshine. Hell I would like to see AMD exactly = to intel on performance per clock . See were pricies go. LOL

meh, i'd like to see AMD clearly kick intel's ass for about 5 years, and make it to at least 40% marketshare on desktops, laptops, and servers.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
OCing IN DA HOOD STYLE is basically what AMD is doing. ha, its kinda funny when a large corporation tries to be "hip" and "down with it"

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
OCing IN DA HOOD STYLE is basically what AMD is doing. ha, its kinda funny when a large corporation tries to be "hip" and "down with it"

And if AMD had of put money into it you'd be here jabbing at their more professional attempt which would then be criticized as anyone can pay for those numbers and then make a comment on how they should be using their money more wisely to help them out their financial problems though right?

Right?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
right. because its true.

I want to see them get a nice watercooling and aircooling overclocking competition aiming at STABLE repeatable settings that can be used on multiple chips of similar properties and give no errors... in other words, so that anyone could buy an identical chip and mobo and ram, input identical figures, and get a godly overclock.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
right. because its true.

I want to see them get a nice watercooling and aircooling overclocking competition aiming at STABLE repeatable settings that can be used on multiple chips of similar properties and give no errors... in other words, so that anyone could buy an identical chip and mobo and ram, input identical figures, and get a godly overclock.

But then macci and sampsa would have to get real jobs...for gods sake man, think about what you are saying, this is a family forum :shocked: