AMD breaks 7.0ghz on its cpu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Does anyone really care though? I couldn't give a **** if a CPU hits a high frequency on Ln2- that is of no use to me as a prospective (high end) buyer, interesting that AMD (and many manufacturers, Giga, Asus, DFI) keep sponsoring these events- I would think the money could be better used elsewhere.

I agree. Any O/C that isn't 24/7 is really a waste. I do really like turbo mode . . The new turbo on 32nm is really going to kick ass. But This world record stuff on Compressed gas is really cool . Besides I like AMD gets some sunshine. Hell I would like to see AMD exactly = to intel on performance per clock . See were pricies go. LOL

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Polish3d
I wonder what it would be like to OC in space

In a vacuum or in...say the space station.
In a space station, it would be similar to Earth, except you have a limited reservoir to dump the heat instead of an unlimited.

In a vacuum, well you could only lose heat via radiation. My roommate insists it's still dependent on the temperature difference and you would simply radiate most of the heat away, I think radiation is dependent on absolute temperature and is a very small percentage of the heat. I guess we could wikpedia to find out who's right.

Oh, if you're using liquid nitrogen or some other exotic coolant, I don't think there would be much difference at all. Possibly better, since the evaporated LN2 might form a cloud of cool gas that just surrounds the computer.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Radiating heat into a vacuum is achieved only through emission of black/grey body radiation, which can amount to a considerable loss of heat if your surface area is large and your emissivity is high. Things get cold in space quickly for a reason.

In other words, give yourself a heatsink with a large surface area (preferably painted black) and a nice pathway for heat to move from the die to the heatsink and you've got some nice cooling, though I think it would actually be easier to use a phase change cooling system and allow your massive heatsink to condense your coolant as it moves through pipes in the fins (or whatever structures comprise your heatsink; fins might not be necessary). Heck you could probably make it passive and rely on convection.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
At Dmens Hay I have watched your post along time . Settle back. We are at AT . Were not extremers here none of us. Were 24/7 stable.
I think its great that AMD can do this , Even tho I am bitter as hell about the EU decision . Thats not AMD. AMD still has to deal with Intel.

Its great the AMD guys get something to claps hands and stomp feet its good feeling . Since I started with P4s I went threw 3 grewling years of relentless banttering. Thats even while I was kicking AMD64 ass with my x800xtpe. and posting benchies I still got railed but extra hard LOL. These guys deserve a break .

Its not like AMD has anything that can run with intel 24/7 . Your good guy . keep it that way.

I thought all new these cpus are not scaling with mhz. thats been known since first posted bench.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Is that why racing engines use black paint. It a good theory in it proper environment.

The racing engine thing cool black . Problem . Clowns like me who laugh at such things view in such a micro way. So guess what color I use. White . to top it off I am only one with cooling problems . Yep thats right We run to cool I have hard time holding 180. when I want 200 or 210 exactly .

This white reflect black absorb . Is that light heat or radiant heat. As compared to contact.

I don't care what color you paint that heat sink . Its not going to change anything Just don't paint die area lol

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
are they painted black? or are they made out of an exotic material (rather then steel) which is black?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Is that why racing engines use black paint. It a good theory in it proper environment.

The racing engine thing cool black . Problem . Clowns like me who laugh at such things view in such a micro way. So guess what color I use. White . to top it off I am only one with cooling problems . Yep thats right We run to cool I have hard time holding 180. when I want 200 or 210 exactly .

This white reflect black absorb . Is that light heat or radiant heat. As compared to contact.

I don't care what color you paint that heat sink . Its not going to change anything Just don't paint die area lol

I feel like I need a decoding wheel from the bottom of a cereal box to sort out this post. Nevertheless, attempting to utilize dark surfaces to dissipate heat through black/grey body radiation is a bit of a wash on Earth due to the large number of other emitters present. Anything with high emissivity also tends to absorb electromagnetic radiation readily so it's a double-edged sword.

As far as racing engines are concerned, during the daytime and/or in the presence of other potential heat sources, I wouldn't think a black coating would help all that much. When running an engine in a cold, dark environment, a black coating might help.

The reason why emissivity is such a big deal in space is that you don't have all that many other emitters present if you're floating around in an empty void away from stars and such. And even if you are near a star, if you're orbiting a larger body that is blocking direct radiation from said star, it can still get very cold.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX

I feel like I need a decoding wheel from the bottom of a cereal box to sort out this post. Nevertheless, attempting to utilize dark surfaces to dissipate heat through black/grey body radiation is a bit of a wash on Earth due to the large number of other emitters present. Anything with high emissivity also tends to absorb electromagnetic radiation readily so it's a double-edged sword.

As far as racing engines are concerned, during the daytime and/or in the presence of other potential heat sources, I wouldn't think a black coating would help all that much. When running an engine in a cold, dark environment, a black coating might help.

The reason why emissivity is such a big deal in space is that you don't have all that many other emitters present if you're floating around in an empty void away from stars and such. And even if you are near a star, if you're orbiting a larger body that is blocking direct radiation from said star, it can still get very cold.

Well with my secret decoder ring. That I sell at bargain basement pricies. You would of found thats exactly what I said.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX

basically, its not that emissivity is the best way to get rid of heat, it is just the ONLY way to do so in a vacuum.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: taltamir

basically, its not the emissivity is the best way to get rid of heat, it is just the ONLY way to do so in a vacuum.

Damn right.

Well with my secret decoder ring. That I sell at bargain basement pricies. You would of found thats exactly what I said.

I would recommend posting links to that ring in the hot deals forum were it not a violation of the rules there.

I'm in for two!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sure. I found Nemesis' post incomprehensible. Well, mostly.

I likened it to a gibberish message produced via weak encoding, such as simple character substitution, that one might receive from an old-timey radio program encouraging one to buy a certain product in order to obtain a decoder ring with which to "crack the code".

You know, drink more Ovaltine, that sort of thing.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
i honestly never heard of the practice... it sounds very marginal and "nerdy"... don't get me wrong, I am a nerd, but I am having a hard time imagining an average kid enjoying a cryptography project in his cereal.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
i honestly never heard of the practice... it sounds very marginal and "nerdy"... don't get me wrong, I am a nerd, but I am having a hard time imagining an average kid enjoying a cryptography project in his cereal.

There was a time when almost nobody would ever admit to that! :laugh:

You must be young, yet. Decoder rings and very basic cryptography were popular stuff with kids in the 1950-70's.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Fox5

It's more impressive that AMD finally has a core that clocks well at all, under any conditions. I think the last time that happened was the pre-SOI 90nm Athlon 64s. Since they've implemented SOI, they've barely outdone launch speeds.

The original Athlon 64 "Sledgehammer" was 130nm SOI :confused:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle

There was a time when almost nobody would ever admit to that! :laugh:

You must be young, yet. Decoder rings and very basic cryptography were popular stuff with kids in the 1950-70's.

"decoder ring" is still a phrase in common vernacular for the electronics industry too. Its used when referring to internal code names and acronyms that are specialized by sub-segment.

One would use a "decoder ring" comment when asking for a lookup table that tells you what CPU clockspeed an i7-950 runs at, for example.

Another example is this graphic used in Anand's HD4770 review.

It would be understood among many circles if someone were to ask for the decoder ring on ATI's naming schema, I would immediately know what they wanted and would link them to that graphic.

It's also still a phrase used to connotate that something that is being presented to an audience contains too many acronyms and unfamiliar terms...someone will invariably ask the presenter for a "decoder ring" so they can understand the presentation, as a joke of course but it is meant to communicate something to the presenter nonetheless.

grant2

Golden Member
May 23, 2001
basically, its not that emissivity is the best way to get rid of heat, it is just the ONLY way to do so in a vacuum.
Or you can expel material, e.g., water into space. Of course you're now limited by the amount of water you bring with you.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: grant2
Or you can expel material, e.g., water into space. Of course you're now limited by the amount of water you bring with you.

Fly to the nearest beer nebula and your Urine Expulsion Cooling System(tm) will be primed and ready to go!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
1. you run out of material FAST
2. expelling the material will desync your orbit and send you crashing down as a ball of fire (or out into space)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not too mention that relativistic effects (time dilation in this case) runs counter to the efforts of overclocking anyways :laugh:

Your 5GHz OC'ed rig will do less folding/day in orbit than it will down here on terra firma. ;)

(before anyone gets pithy, yes I do understand the magnitude of the time dilation effect will be significantly less than a part per quadrillion...spare me the technicalities and enjoy some geeky humor)