AMD Blows past expectations...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Looks like a big part of this was due to their graphics division. I wonder if that's going to mean that many less sales for Nvidia. If so Nvidia's numbers won't be pretty I'm willing to guess, especially if they are selling all those GTX260's at little/no profit to a loss.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
:

expecting a gainstown next week to fall into my lap. :T

i'll be able to see how they compare against my friends shanghi. :)

But glad to see AMD has pulled them out somewhat.

However cant the increase be related to middle east investors dumping a lot of money on AMD fabs?

I dont think AMD is where they were at, or will ever get there again for a very long time. They did lose complete control of there FABS unless i got my fact wrong.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Looks like a big part of this was due to their graphics division. I wonder if that's going to mean that many less sales for Nvidia. If so Nvidia's numbers won't be pretty I'm willing to guess, especially if they are selling all those GTX260's at little/no profit to a loss.

nV took it in the pants even worse, due to reimbursing it's partners for the high initial launch of GT200. Remember those $50-$100 in eVGA dollars they offered anyone who bought a GT200 on launch week? I bet I know who ended up with that bill.

Back on CPU topic, I don't really see AMD gaining any sort of market share anytime soon. Deneb may bring back a couple fanbois who bought a Core 2 only because it is the clear better choice, but it still doesnt look like they will have anything to compete with a $160 E8400 @ 4.2 ghz.

They will have to keep Denebs price down in order for OEMs to be able to use them against OEM Core 2s as well.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Same as what you claim yours to be, I'm not holding any Intel shares at the moment.

That, and I'm not a fanboy. :)

Yeah, uh huh, OK.

Otherwise, some useful thoughts about that state of the market. We need two top-tier CPU makers... AMD's had a near-death experience. I would not turn my nose up at a Deneb if the price and value proposition were right... I jsut hope the real-world results match up against the encouraging rumors.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I can't decide whether this forum is full of financial analysts, or hardware enthusiasts. LOL ;)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Same as what you claim yours to be, I'm not holding any Intel shares at the moment.

That, and I'm not a fanboy. :)

Yeah, uh huh, OK.

keys said stop the baiting and flaming.

Dont make him pwn you when he responded right after your post. :p

Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I can't decide whether this forum is full of financial analysts, or hardware enthusiasts. LOL ;)

im in it for the hardware. :rofl:

you should know that by now. I can care less whose in a better financial situation. What i care about is WHO has the best chips.

Yummy. :D

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Who said you can't be both? Plus they are related, since the financial strength of a company leads to more R&D dollars being available.

Thanks for stepping in with the Fanboy comments. I can't for the life of me understand what the point of comments like those are.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
AMD was profitable excluding one time charges.

A.M.D. reported a net loss of $67 million, or 11 cents a share, in the third quarter, compared with a loss of $396 million, or 71 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue rose 14 percent to $1.78 billion, helped by $191 million in revenue from technology licenses.

Excluding one-time charges, A.M.D. said it turned a profit of $80 million, or about 13 cents a share.

Analysts had expected a loss of 40 cents a share excluding charges, on revenue of $1.48 billion, according to a survey by Thomson Financial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10...CwqxOjcj2jWE0jx7w38oCg

AMD has done a few things right latley. Lower powered chips and improvements to their existing line, excellent chipset releases like the 780g and the 4000 series of graphics processors.

Call me a fanboy if you want. Remember, I'm writing this post on an E8400 box.

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: nerp
AMD was profitable excluding one time charges.

A.M.D. reported a net loss of $67 million, or 11 cents a share, in the third quarter, compared with a loss of $396 million, or 71 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue rose 14 percent to $1.78 billion, helped by $191 million in revenue from technology licenses.

Excluding one-time charges, A.M.D. said it turned a profit of $80 million, or about 13 cents a share.

Analysts had expected a loss of 40 cents a share excluding charges, on revenue of $1.48 billion, according to a survey by Thomson Financial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10...CwqxOjcj2jWE0jx7w38oCg

AMD has done a few things right latley. Lower powered chips and improvements to their existing line, excellent chipset releases like the 780g and the 4000 series of graphics processors.

Call me a fanboy if you want. Remember, I'm writing this post on an E8400 box.

Why would any one call you a fanboy for what you said , its all truth... :)

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
A look at AMD's and Intel's stock:-

Intel Corporation -0.38 (-2.39%) 87.14B
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. +0.09 (2.18%) 2.56B

Never realized that the Market Cap for Intel was so high!!! Seems Intel is down by 2% and AMD up by 2%..!!! Ironic

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
A look at AMD's and Intel's stock:-

Intel Corporation -0.38 (-2.39%) 87.14B
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. +0.09 (2.18%) 2.56B

Never realized that the Market Cap for Intel was so high!!! Seems Intel is down by 2% and AMD up by 2%..!!! Ironic

They have over $20B in fabs they could sell off if they went totally bust tomorrow.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
AMD could start selling crack and heroin thru a new subsiduary. They could make billions!:laugh:

Wouldn't be able to document the earnings though, so the public would never learn about it and consequently the stock price would never reflect it.

Illicit business is best left to private equity ventures. Or in the case of the federal government, the CIA.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: FalseChristian
AMD could start selling crack and heroin thru a new subsiduary. They could make billions!:laugh:

Wouldn't be able to document the earnings though, so the public would never learn about it and consequently the stock price would never reflect it.

Illicit business is best left to private equity ventures. Or in the case of the federal government, the CIA.

haha well the money can be laundered as underhanded incentives for employees and thus they can lower the salaries and still be pumping out the goods at a reliable rate. i beleive this is how the arabs manage their arms trade :cool: so hehe and the arms business is the most profitable business in the world.... ;)

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
They're GPU department (ATI) is raking in the dough for the 48xx series, which was a real boost for them.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Would be nice to know what AMD has up its sleeve. Hopefully their 45nm core has more done to it than the added L3 cache. :beer:

Jason

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

nV took it in the pants even worse, due to reimbursing it's partners for the high initial launch of GT200. Remember those $50-$100 in eVGA dollars they offered anyone who bought a GT200 on launch week? I bet I know who ended up with that bill.

Back on CPU topic, I don't really see AMD gaining any sort of market share anytime soon. Deneb may bring back a couple fanbois who bought a Core 2 only because it is the clear better choice, but it still doesnt look like they will have anything to compete with a $160 E8400 @ 4.2 ghz.

They will have to keep Denebs price down in order for OEMs to be able to use them against OEM Core 2s as well.

AMD doesn't need to worry about any e8400 cpu clocked at 4.2ghz. Because there are no oem cpu Intel has even near that clockspeed. You and I are simply rubbish to AMD and Intel. We give them maybe 1-2% of there total sells.

So overclocks doesn't mean much to either maker.

Jason

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: formulav8

AMD doesn't need to worry about any e8400 cpu clocked at 4.2ghz. Because there are no oem cpu Intel has even near that clockspeed. You and I are simply rubbish to AMD and Intel. We give them maybe 1-2% of there total sells.

Jason

I do agree the volume sale of OCable parts means little to Intel/AMD, but the sales from bragging rights /good reputations should not be underestimated. It's like if Toyoda wins Datona 500 it's not immediate sale impact but the publicity generated will push sales.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
AMD stock sure is doing well these days.

That is funny. I was actually going to buy some stock if AMD ever dipped below $5, but I was busy when it did and didn't get to it. Now I am glad I didn't since it is now around $2.80, and with them spinning of the fabs, they have very few actual assets to protect my investment.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: formulav8

Jason

Like someone mentioned earlier, of course it matters who has the performance crown. When grandma calls the family "computer guy", guess what he is going to recommend?

RiverRicer

Aug 28, 2007

Like someone mentioned earlier, of course it matters who has the performance crown. When grandma calls the family "computer guy", guess what he is going to recommend?

AMD? Maybe Grandma wants to try OCing a Phenom? :D

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
AMD stock sure is doing well these days.

Yeah, Nasdaq is up 8% today, Intel is up 8.5%, and AMD is down a penny.

May be time for me to take the writedown on this turkey.

Edit:
Just saw that the Broadcom sale is worth $53M less to AMD than AMD predicted. That will be another write down this quarter.