AMD back in gear, Centurion FX

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Not to be a negative nancy but what's the price and power draw gonna be on one of those things?

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
"5ghz Piledriver on air"

Hot. I mean that in a thermodynamic sense. I already have a stove.

"$795"

Hahahaha nice but a little late for April Fools.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
It's good it's 5Ghz on stock (I doubt it will just run like that when you start the system, probably at 3Ghz and needs manual multiplier change).
It's bad it costs that much. No wonder it's limited series, they don't expect to sell many of these. Power is not a concern for someone who wants to use LN2 or other extreme cooling methods on this thing. It's high leakage part so it will probably clock to 8Ghz and more for e-peen measuring on hwbot ;).

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That'd be really cool to play with. I would buy one if it was just a little higher priced than the normal FX8350. But $795... lol.

I'm not sure if I believe this rumor, I guess we'll wait and see.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I believe when I see it. Sounds like a rumor started by a former member of the Bulldozer marketing team.

Remember that debacle?

On a serious note my 8350 runs solid at 4.6Ghz but that's with upped voltage and water cooled with a Corsair H100.

Last edited:

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
You know, $795 wouldn't be bad if it was the price per pair and included a double-socket board.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Even if true, I'm not sure what this really signifies. Companies have binned products this way for years and hyped the heck out of them, but selling a few chips like this isn't going to really turn AMD's fortunes around.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Even if true, I'm not sure what this really signifies. Companies have binned products this way for years and hyped the heck out of them, but selling a few chips like this isn't going to really turn AMD's fortunes around.
It's just marketing for the brand (FX). With this being limited series it won't generate much income if at all.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
This is purely for the hwbot crowd, overclocking has become quite an expensive hobby there.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
"If I had 800$ to blow, it would be for an AMD CPU"

....said no one ever (not in the past decade anyway..)

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I have to say this thread was a major letdown...

I was hoping it was their new processor and it was so good they actually could get into a price war with 2011...

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
I have to say this thread was a major letdown...

I was hoping it was their new processor and it was so good they actually could get into a price war with 2011...
Well to be honest at 5Ghz FX8350 would be in the 3930/3960 territory performance wise. Out of the box that is.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
damn that would be at least a 150w CPU
Cool name thou. AMD needs something like this to get some decent margins :)

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Disappointing... This seems like a pure marketing chip. Sell a handful of incredibly harshly binned chips at a super high price, and try to get the "halo effect" back. A single chip that clearly beats the 3770k at stock would help AMD get a bit of cachet back, but be effectively meaningless in the real world.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
well, might be richland based
with a turbo "up to 5Ghz".....like 4.4-5.0GHz

high binned cpu + new turbo + refresh + mature 32nm...

...possible, but that sure smells like BS :hmm:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Even if it's not a hoax, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Intel had a special-run 4.4 GHz Westmere Xeon over two years ago. I'm sure they could easily make a shipping product over 5 GHz now, if they felt there was any point. In fact, given Intel's thermal headroom compared to AMD, I'd guess it would be a lot easier for them than for AMD.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I have found this post by Stilt at XS.
He says it's most likely hoax as numbers don't jive. This guy knows what he is talking about.

This is all based around power consumption of all modules at 5GHz, right? This could really just be turbo up to 5GHz, only attainable with one module active.

The thing that baffles me is that there could be 800MHz of margin over current processors that could be eaten up even with very aggressive binning. Or was the process that much worse than it is now?

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
Even if it's not a hoax, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Intel had a special-run 4.4 GHz Westmere Xeon over two years ago. I'm sure they could easily make a shipping product over 5 GHz now, if they felt there was any point. In fact, given Intel's thermal headroom compared to AMD, I'd guess it would be a lot easier for them than for AMD.

Given Intel's thermal headroom there is no reason i7s aren't shipping at 4.4GHz today except that competition from AMD hasn't forced them to ship CPUs that fast. It's like the P2/K6-3 days all over again except with no cheap highly overclockable Celeron 300A.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
This is all based around power consumption of all modules at 5GHz, right? This could really just be turbo up to 5GHz, only attainable with one module active.

The thing that baffles me is that there could be 800MHz of margin over current processors that could be eaten up even with very aggressive binning. Or was the process that much worse than it is now?
If it's real then it's 5GHz on all modules. But I trust Stilt so I too now think this might be a hoax or misinformation.

As for clocks and power, I think AMD has hit the power limit with present PD core and module number. Effectively they can MAYBE produce 4.2/4.4GhzT part that will replace 8350 and that's it. It's just physical limit of the process node and this uarchitecture. SR core is going on a 28nm bulk and we will have to wait and see how it does when it comes to clock and power.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Here's my opinion. Haswell will be out soon and will OC nicely and widen the gap between the 3770k and the 8350 (I own both and yes there is a gap).
AMD's marketing gurus will do what they can to derail that impact.

This whole rumor sounds much Yogi Berra's famous Deja Vue again line. Have we forgotten the rumors "leaked" by the AMD marketing department the summer prior to the 8150 Bulldozer release? Good Lord! They orchestrated that "infamous" Guiness world record run but close inspection showed an Uber cooled chip only running 1 Module (2 cores). Sounds like the same sillyness. This was after Intel had the SB released.

I honestly think AMD could release a 5 Ghz chip BUT thermals would be WAY high. I doubt you could run the chip to its full potential unless you used an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA mb with a Noctua cooler.

My experience with the FX8350 is that they pushed the stock clock about as high as you could go without tweaking the voltage. In contrast, Intel has the 3770k conservatively clocked.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
yea 5GHz AND SR ... then maybe..

even if SR added another 20% IPC and haswell turns out to be a mostly 0-3% increase, singlethreaded performance is still way behind .. I guess the question becomes, how much performance, pr core, would you sacrifice for going 4 core(+ some jacksonville) -> 8 core cmt? 20% ? 10% ? 0% ?

Last edited: