AMD Athlon 64 X2 running very HOT!!! SOLVED!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
All IHS factory installs I have seen, do not seal to the pcb 100%. They always leave a small gap to prevent any pressure differentials during heat cycles. Therefor there is no filling the cavity with any inert gases.

If there isnt a specific reason to use the x2, and dont want to spend the money, I'm sure theres some better processor setups at your local e-waste recycler. C2Q's and phenomII era cpus are quite common and a big jump up from what you are trying to use now.

The answer to fixing something isn't to buy a new thing, unless it's completely broken.

Oh, so regardless if its an upgrade at the same time, if it ain't broke dont fix it?
How old hardware are you on then? I've got AM3 and 775 stuff that shows no signs of age related problems, and performs daily tasks without issue, you must be on similar?

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I was talking of the CPU casing, also i dont think that it s void of atmosphere , in principle it is filled (at atmospheric pressure) by an electrically neutral element that will protect against oxydation, generaly Argon..

Are you talking between the die and heat spreader?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Oh, so regardless if its an upgrade at the same time, if it ain't broke dont fix it?
How old hardware are you on then? I've got AM3 and 775 stuff that shows no signs of age related problems, and performs daily tasks without issue, you must be on similar?

Dude asked how to fix his old CPU. He didn't ask for an upgrade. If it was completely dead, sure, say that it's dead and he has no other choice but to buy a new proc. But that's not the case, as far as we know.

Giving an irrelevant answer to a question is worthless.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Look as i said, other MB, other cpu or a delid are the only options, only if you already have extra hardware laying around as i have. DO NOT, i reapeat, DO NOT expend money on this.

Keeping in mind that:
1) There IS A ISSUE on MB side that causes the cpus to overheat, i can 100% confirm this. Try to reflash bios.
2) If you never did a delid there is a high chance of killing the cpu by doing so, i did kill two in fact, the other 3 that i did a delid showed an improvement but the problem still existed.

All these cases are all AM2 MB and A64... there is some kind of hidden issue there that causes overheat. I did not see this issue present on 939, 754 or AM2+ Athlon 2 cpus. And i cant remember of a single issue with AM2+ MB and a A64 cpu either but i cant confirm.

majord

Jul 26, 2015
Wasn't there a known issue with the ondie temp diode going bad on Brisbane after a while, making them read really high temps erroneously? I swear I had one with the issue

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wasn't there a known issue with the ondie temp diode going bad on Brisbane after a while, making them read really high temps erroneously? I swear I had one with the issue

My Brisbane (x2-3600+) never did show temps properly, if I recall correctly.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Are you talking between the die and heat spreader?

Inside of the CPU, i read above that Yeroon state that there s no filling but in this case (pun not intended) the one bar atmospheric pressure will increase the thermal bending, after all atmospheric pressure is the equivalent of ten tons per square metre, this amount to 1kg/cm2..