AMD Athlon 64 X2 running very HOT!!! SOLVED!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WildViper

Feb 19, 2002
Ok...so here is the outcome:

It is SOLVED!!!!! The Heatsink was the freaking problem. After installed the new heatsink, the max temps(under FLV to MP4 test method) go up to 55C to 66C! It was idling at 21C to 34C.

I actually can start doing some "heavy duty" jobs! Yey.

THANK YOU TO ALL for helping me with this. By the way, this fan is ultra quiet. I had no idea computers can be this quiet.

Thanx again!

MyAthlonIsSoHot

Nov 29, 2019
Help me pls. I'm using Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I have stayed in BIOS for a bit temps have been 77 C. When I was in Windows just doing some browsing the temps on core 0 were 70-80 C and core 1 was 100 C.

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_184337.jpg
    IMG_20191129_184337.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 24

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Help me pls. I'm using Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I have stayed in BIOS for a bit temps have been 77 C. When I was in Windows just doing some browsing the temps on core 0 were 70-80 C and core 1 was 100 C.
First, this CPU is so old, I can't believe you are trying to use it. Its 10 years old !
As far as being how, you probably don't have the heatsink on, or its not mounted properly.

MyAthlonIsSoHot

Nov 29, 2019
[/QUOTE]
First, this CPU is so old, I can't believe you are trying to use it. Its 10 years old !
As far as being how, you probably don't have the heatsink on, or its not mounted properly.
The heatsink is installed properly. Also the other people in this thread were way nicer and you are a moderator smh.

• Haha
Reactions: TurtleCrusher

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I can help with some advice:

1. the BIOS allows the cpu to run normally.
2. windows sends a signal to the cpu to go into an idle state that keeps temps low.
3. did you clean the heatsink fan of dust?
4. did you apply new thermal paste to the cpu?
5. does your case have good airflow for cooling?

Reactions: soresu

MyAthlonIsSoHot

Nov 29, 2019
I can help with some advice:

1. the BIOS allows the cpu to run normally.
2. windows sends a signal to the cpu to go into an idle state that keeps temps low.
3. did you clean the heatsink fan of dust?
4. did you apply new thermal paste to the cpu?
5. does your case have good airflow for cooling?
I'm gonna try apply new thermal paste and like open my side panel lol

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Funnily enough I kept having crashes with my Athlon X2 back then when I bought it - stupid me was in such a rush to put the thing together and test my new dual core that I didn't even put the heatsink on!

That and a faulty Abit motherboard that had to be RMA'd for an initial production run fault, kept causing other crashes.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Something else to check is whether your fan was plugged in properly - I've seen people do the full shebang on the mounting and thermal paste for the heatsink only to screw the pooch on the cpu fan connector.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, let me tell you, I've seen "degredation" of those old-school Athlons, that once they get into that sort of condition, they become nearly impossible to cool no matter what kind of cooler you put on them, short of LN2. (*Ok, at the time, I didn't have AIO WC kits handy, but I tried multiple air coolers with TDP capacity exceeding what the CPU was rated for, and they still didn't help.)

Other than actual IC degradation, I believe that they used a TIM that dries out after 5-7+ years on those chips, and once that has dried out, you would need to de-lid them to be able to keep them cool again. Or possibly, the circuits simply get more "leaky" on the chip over time, drawing more power and current, and making them harder and harder to cool. Or possibly both. My best hypothesis as to what's happening with those CPUs, at least. I've seen it a few times with OEM AM2/AM2+ X2 5600+ and 6000+ CPUs.

Apr 20, 2008

The heatsink is installed properly. Also the other people in this thread were way nicer and you are a moderator smh.
[/QUOTE]
Mark and I had disagreed long in the past but I can tell you with certainty the guy is reasonable and far from rude.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Epic necro. Seeing someone trying to flog an old x2 definitely brings back memories.

@MyAthlonIsSoHot

That voltage is . . . high? According to a quick search, it looks like your CPU shouldn't need more than 1.3v-1.35v for default operation:

I'm assuming that's your chip? I don't think AMD ever released a 65nm Brisbane 5200+ though I could be wrong. Anyway, Windsor can run kind of hot. Just not THAT hot. Bring your voltage down and see if it's stable. Also check your HSF mount and re-apply TIM etc. etc. But mess with the volts first to see if you can tame that thing.

Wait, there IS a 5200+ Brisbane!

Same basic story though, your voltage is still too high, even if what you have is a Brisbane.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't rude. You are just too sensitive.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ive seem this issue a lot on first gen Athlon 64s and i could never fixed it. Its not the cooler, is the cpu and/or mb.

For example: I have a motherboard that started to overheat A64s, placing another CPU = the same issue.
I have a A64 that overheats, it does so on every MB that ive tested.

Is not always the case on both, i have motherboards that will not longer overheat a CPU when a new cpu is placed, and CPU that overheated on a MB will work fine on another.

My theory is that there are two separaed issues that could cause this:
1) One on motherboard side causing overvolt, all the motherboards that had this issue had no way to undervolt, so no way to try to fix it.
2) The CPU thermad pad is dried up. This has been mentioned as the cause of the problem on CPU side, i did some delids to no effect.

My recomendation: Dont waste time with this, when the issue presents itself it is almost impossible to fix.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Curious case, as pointed by DMLordX the voltage is somewhat too high but that increase temps by only 4°C in this set up, dunno about dried paste but since it s inside an hermetically closed case not sure that it could really happen.

As for CPUs getting olds, and for the sake of the verification, i just posted this post using a laptop with an Athlon XP-M 1800+....

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Curious case, as pointed by DMLordX the voltage is somewhat too high but that increase temps by only 4°C in this set up, dunno about dried paste but since it s inside an hermetically closed case not sure that it could really happen.

As for CPUs getting olds, and for the sake of the verification, i just posted this post using a laptop with an Athlon XP-M 1800+....
"Dry" paste will almost certainly be a problem, if not the sole problem, unless I missed the part where it has been properly cleaned and reapplied (which is likely since I skimmed above).

And even in an "hermetically closed case" the atmospheric volume to absorb any (even vaguely) volatile components from the TIM is many orders of magnitude larger than the volume of the TIM itself.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
And even in an "hermetically closed case" the atmospheric volume to absorb any (even vaguely) volatile components from the TIM is many orders of magnitude larger than the volume of the TIM itself.

Possibly, but then it would be generalised to all Athlon 64 X2s of this era, wich is simply not the case, the fact that it is only a minority within a minority point to the cooler being the main culprit, unless of course that it is a motherboard issue.

Anyway it would have been of great help if the MB model was mentionned, a screen shot with just a few infos is not exactly what one in need of help would provide to get valuable support...

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Possibly, but then it would be generalised to all Athlon 64 X2s of this era, wich is simply not the case, the fact that it is only a minority within a minority point to the cooler being the main culprit, unless of course that it is a motherboard issue.

Anyway it would have been of great help if the MB model was mentionned, a screen shot with just a few infos is not exactly what one in need of help would provide to get valuable support...
Oh I can see the confusion. My question about reapplying TIM was about the aftermarket stuff between the heatspreader and HSF. And this is easily the most likely problem here (again, unless I missed something).

Though I maintain it's entirely possible for an "internal" TIM of that generation to degrade like that and produce the exact same symptoms, even inside a tiny sealed enclosure. *And as you'll know from your XP-M 1800+ (and I found out by smoking my 1900+) integrated heatspreaders were still in their infancy during the Athlon 64 days and I doubt lasting ~15 years was a design priority. But again I think this is much less likely than the obvious solution.

*Edit: Woops I confused XP-M with MP and for some reason missed the "laptop" part. Anyway the point of my story was that the XP line were all bare die (AFAIK) and the 64's and 64 x2's were very early in the era of AMD heatspreaders.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
When you can get an E4500 allendale core2 duo for $6 (refurb) free shipping, and like deals, why even mess with a 10 year old CPU ? I mean the Ryzen line, no older than 2 years starts at $80 for a quad core 1200. And those aren;t even black friday deals.

And a motherboard for the Ryzen is as low as $45 !

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
The answer to fixing something isn't to buy a new thing, unless it's completely broken.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The answer to fixing something isn't to buy a new thing, unless it's completely broken.
Unless the fix cost more than a new (or refurb or used) thing. Just like a car being totaled. Its fixable, but at what cost ?

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

Paste certainly dries up and turns basically into chalk. Hermetically sealed items have all the air sucked out and then are sealed in a vacuum. I have never seen a pc hernetically sealed. Or even heard of one lol!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have never seen a pc hernetically sealed. Or even heard of one lol!

Actually, subjecting PC components to a vacuum could have unfortunate side-effects due to off-gassing. It would be better to use an airtight enclosure filled with nitrogen or argon, though that might still not stop drying of thermal paste, depending on which solvents are evaporating from the paste itself.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
The issue is confused because some dudes above were talking about internal TIM under the heatspreader (which is not under a vacuum) but some could still consider them "airtight". This doesn't mean there's no air though, nor does it mean they're actually "airtight" when we're talking decades.

It's an interesting line of thought though, and perhaps something we're only just seeing ~15 years after integrated heatspreaders were introduced. But very doubtful the issue at hand.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Paste certainly dries up and turns basically into chalk. Hermetically sealed items have all the air sucked out and then are sealed in a vacuum. I have never seen a pc hernetically sealed. Or even heard of one lol!

I was talking of the CPU casing, also i dont think that it s void of atmosphere , in principle it is filled (at atmospheric pressure) by an electrically neutral element that will protect against oxydation, generaly Argon..

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Honestly that's the first thing that popped into my head. I was thinking there's no way you are trying to use an old Athlon X2 unless it's for some old retro/legacy gaming (and there are more appropriate CPUs for that).

Are you sure that's what you have?