News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Sometimes you just got to call it what it is - it's a bad card. It's slower, more power hungry, louder, has less features, very likely o/c worse, and is from a less premium brand then it's direct identically priced competitor. That competitor (the 2080) regularly gets flamed for it's price/performance so there's no way that something measurably worse in nearly every way deserves anything less then the full roasting.
No such thing as a bad product, only a bad price.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So a theoretical 2070ti hitting the middle ground between 2070 and 2080 in both performance and pricing would be pathetic. Good to know you think this way of Turing.

I would expect this card to get the flak for poor day 1 driver support, noise, availability, but performance?!

yeah, kind of weird that this is "pathetic" when nVidia releasing a card 2 years later that matches their old card's performance, at the same price, is revolutionary.

Underwhelming is probably the right term here, but this isn't a card that was seriously hyped for any amount of time.

Reactions: happy medium

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
yeah, kind of weird that this is "pathetic" when nVidia releasing a card 2 years later that matches their old card's performance, at the same price, is revolutionary.

Underwhelming is probably the right term here, but this isn't a card that was seriously hyped for any amount of time.
Lots of people griped about the 2080.
Lots of people voted by keeping their 1080ti cards.
Lots of people recommended a 1080ti over a 2080.
They still do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lots of people griped about the 2080.
Lots of people voted by keeping their 1080ti cards.
Lots of people recommended a 1080ti over a 2080.
They still do.

It's still the recommendation now, though, because it has gigarays! Understandably, if you can't find a 1080ti anywhere, it kinda makes sense.

In the end, I think all the cards since the ~1080ti release are just underwhelming and we'll probably be saying that until at least early next year. Yeah, the midrange (now known as low range) is still solid, but pricing is garbage.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Once again, AMD's GPUs have disappointed me in their gaming performance, power draw, noise levels, and now cost. I'm not sure what AMD was going for with this card. Unless there's some massive improvements to be made with drivers, this seems to be a miner's card or possibly encoding card for the price and nothing more. It's certainly not a gaming card as it stands.

I was very ready to give AMD my money. I guess I'll be waiting another cycle.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Amd Radeon VII 'not ready for launch'...

Because AMD completely overhauled its API calls for this card, no current software utilities work for it. Afterburner is broken, GPU-z needs an update (and its creator is on vacation), and Wattool is also largely non-functioning. This leaves us with AMD’s WattMan, which is also presently in a largely unusable state.

Aside from innumerable other bugs encountered, some of which we’ll list below, the most noteworthy was that manual overclocking yields worse performance than running stock in at least 9/10 cases. That one time it doesn’t is typically within variance. All “overclocks” must be validated with performance testing, as misreporting of the clocks will lead users to believe the OC is actually working...

AMD’s drivers have largely improved over the past months, which is perhaps why it’s so disappointing that the Radeon VII drivers are so riddled with bugs. The company has worked hard to eradicate this perception of bad drivers, and has done well to fix its image and its driver packages, but botched the entire thing in one go with Radeon VII. Here’s a small list of what we encountered – we didn’t write all of them down...

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3437-amd-radeon-vii-review-not-ready-for-launch

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I've absolutely never had issues with any Radeon drivers in my life. I think they are just finding frivolous issues.

They said that AMD changed how the new Vega handles API calls so it's certainly not beyond belief that the driver could be pretty buggy at this point and need some ironing out.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Is there some conspiracy with Quake ? I don't see any mention of Quake in these reviews. Everyones notes look like the came from the same Cracker Jack Box.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Amd Radeon VII 'not ready for launch'...

Because AMD completely overhauled its API calls for this card, no current software utilities work for it. Afterburner is broken, GPU-z needs an update (and its creator is on vacation), and Wattool is also largely non-functioning. This leaves us with AMD’s WattMan, which is also presently in a largely unusable state.

Aside from innumerable other bugs encountered, some of which we’ll list below, the most noteworthy was that manual overclocking yields worse performance than running stock in at least 9/10 cases. That one time it doesn’t is typically within variance. All “overclocks” must be validated with performance testing, as misreporting of the clocks will lead users to believe the OC is actually working...

AMD’s drivers have largely improved over the past months, which is perhaps why it’s so disappointing that the Radeon VII drivers are so riddled with bugs. The company has worked hard to eradicate this perception of bad drivers, and has done well to fix its image and its driver packages, but botched the entire thing in one go with Radeon VII. Here’s a small list of what we encountered – we didn’t write all of them down...

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3437-amd-radeon-vii-review-not-ready-for-launch

So according to this review by gamersnexus, Radeon VII is equal in performance with RTX 2080 at 4K , same MSRP price and according to this review at the same total system power consumption.

amd-radeon-vii-power_all.png

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
So according to this review by gamersnexus, Radeon VII is equal in performance with RTX 2080 at 4K , same MSRP price and according to this review at the same total system power consumption.

But then you have to pick:
card with more, but unused, features
or
card that may or may not work depending on your choice of game at launch

Woof.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

I did not focus on the power draw here, but rather the buggy mess that the reviewer had to go through reviewing the card. Secondly, not sure how consistent power draw measurements can be from game to game, you have to look at other charts, reviews to determine whether an overall pattern may better represent the power draw. I hate cherry picking individual points of data to reach absolute conclusions on anything, and I will say that even this review (by a well regarded reviewer) should not be taken as a final say regarding the product in question.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
People with pro needs or miners will buy all cards anyway. There will be zero left.

I only game bf lol so I would take this and probably get excellent resale value due to the pro values but in most other games if not all 2080 is faster.

Meaningless card for gamers imo. Display of a failure.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Excellent, now release a 175W TDP Radeon VII Nano to compete against RTX 2070

Ha! Good luck with that.

People with pro needs or miners will buy all cards anyway. There will be zero left.

Yup. It's funny watching people bash Radeon VII when they're selling like crazy. 1/4 FP64? For $700? Holy crap. Can't wait to see stuff like TensorFlow benchmarks on this card.

Meaningless card for gamers imo. Display of a failure.

I dunno man, look at where Vega56 is today and tell me that it was as much a failure as people said it was when it launched. The main failure of Vega56 was finding one for sale at MSRP. Just a few tweaks and Vega56 is a respectable card for the money (though not a 2080Ti by any means).

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Goodness knows, but it doesn’t precisely give confidence in something this expensive if it is, does it?

I know the ‘2070’ competitor version is a pipe dream for now but it really would be an objectively rather better card. The few of these they make will sell fine for semi pro compute and people with random interest anyway, so genuinely unimportant :)