News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review/18

going by this it looks like GTA V has abnormally high memory bandwidth requirements with Radeons, maybe that's where Nvidia almost always wins in it (with their compression stuff)...

the card overall is the expected I guess, mostly the gain in clock... a little behind the 2080 on average, with the games you pick really making it a big deal or not.
given the price and availability... this card is not really all that relevant...
if it was cheaper than the 2080...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Performance between 2070 and 2080. Pathetic.

If you look at some of the reviews that have minfps, the Warhammer II numbers may surprise you. Hell look at the 99th percentile numbers in Battlefield 1. Are you not entertained?

example on Warhammer II:

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/amd-radeon-vii-review/8/

Not sure why AT refused to publish minfps/99th percentile on that game, but Radeon VII beats everything in minfps except (oddly) a 1080Ti. The game is obviously friendly to AMD cards (look at the 590 and Vega) but Radeon VII comes out on top.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Performance between 2070 and 2080. Pathetic.
So a theoretical 2070ti hitting the middle ground between 2070 and 2080 in both performance and pricing would be pathetic. Good to know you think this way of Turing.

I would expect this card to get the flak for poor day 1 driver support, noise, availability, but performance?!

Reactions: lightmanek

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
So a theoretical 2070ti hitting the middle ground between 2070 and 2080 in both performance and pricing would be pathetic. Good to know you think this way of Turing.

I would expect this card to get the flak for poor day 1 driver support, noise, availability, but performance?!

The 2080 was, quite rightly, hammered for it's poor price/performance. AMD has somehow managed to turn up late with a card that offers even worse price/performance. Plus all the other issues you just mentioned. 5-10% slower and yet costs the same. There's no reason someone would buy it for gaming unless they absolutely refuse to buy Nvidia cards.

Reactions: tviceman

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

I just hope they do support this card with better drivers. having only 10,000 or so made and Navi on the way, somehow I don't see it.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Sometimes you just got to call it what it is - it's a bad card. It's slower, more power hungry, louder, has less features, very likely o/c worse, and is from a less premium brand then it's direct identically priced competitor. That competitor (the 2080) regularly gets flamed for it's price/performance so there's no way that something measurably worse in nearly every way deserves anything less then the full roasting.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'm a bit disappointed overall but at least we have something that's better than Vega. That beefy cooler should theoretically be quiet but the actual tested load noise levels show its an epic fail.

Also while RTX/DLSS certainly suck balls, nVidia has far more robust drivers. Their parts consistently slot performance where they should be while VII is barely faster than Vega in many games. You can easily tell only games like BF5 and Tomb Raider have received proper driver optimizations.

Things will no doubt improve further down the line, but for $700 that's simply not good enough. Nobody drops down $700 with the expectation to wait months/years to get good performance.

Reactions: happy medium

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
There's no reason someone would buy it for gaming unless they absolutely refuse to buy Nvidia cards.

Depends on the games you want to play. For example for BF V, I would choose the Radeon VII over the RTX 2080.
Plus its comparable with all freesync monitors unlike the RTX cards.

https://techreport.com/review/34453/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card-reviewed/9
YVIMQVV.png

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
That's really just a tie though, isn't it? it's likely within the margin of error of testing and not anything you'd notice while playing the game.

I will suggest you look again at the frametime diagrams, you will definitely notice while playing the game especially in Online MultiPlayer games like BF.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
As I have said in an other forum, Radeon VII is a good 4K card for its price, neck and neck with the RTX 2080. Its a little faster in some games and little slower in others. Good thing we have a competitor at $699 and a second choice for 4K Gamers.

But, Im not going to recommend the Radeon VII nor will I recommend any RTX cards due to the unacceptable pricing.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The 2080 was, quite rightly, hammered for it's poor price/performance. AMD has somehow managed to turn up late with a card that offers even worse price/performance. Plus all the other issues you just mentioned. 5-10% slower and yet costs the same. There's no reason someone would buy it for gaming unless they absolutely refuse to buy Nvidia cards.
I challenge you to watch this space for people defending the value proposition of VII, then go look at the RTX 2080 threads and see how it went down. If we are to be objective both offerings from both vendors offer little to no value over their previous gens, and yet there still are posters like the one above who thinks only today's product brings "pathetic" performance.

In my view it's a little sad that Nvidia fans got so complacent when it comes to combating the competition that they virtually need to be fed the proper talking points. If it were only the 5% performance difference this card would be a decent competitor, but it's not, and the reasons posted above give a far more accurate picture of this product than wether or not it definitely matches RTX 2080.

Reactions: krumme

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Real shame on some ways the HBM cost never let them admit it was basically an xx70 competitor, downclock to something sensible and leave it.
(For all the Vega family)

The ~300w power draw is just silly.