News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Another, older rumour. He did get Radeon 7, 16gb and performance target almost on the money. So I wonder if his info on number of cards can be relied upon too.

AMD has not commented on the 5k batch rumour
http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-vega-based-radeon-vii-for-consumers-and-gamers-exclusive/

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I figured since it was from a fairly reputable site and was published today, I'd post the link to the info.

Personally, I believe if AMD limited it to a very small number of cards after their big hoopla event where they announced it, I think it would leave a sour taste in quite a few people's mouth. If it turns out to be limited to 5000 cards, they should have have given that info at CES.

Reactions: garagisti

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I figured since it was from a fairly reputable site and was published today, I'd post the link to the info.

Personally, I believe if AMD limited it to a very small number of cards after their big hoopla event where they announced it, I think it would leave a sour taste in quite a few people's mouth. If it turns out to be limited to 5000 cards, they should have have given that info at CES.
They can easily sell 3-5k cards in NA alone, nevermind ROW. 20k run sounds more realistic.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Because it didn't move price / perf much, but "DAT COMPUTE MOSTER!" And now it's just "meh."

It is meh because it is 1080 Ti performance at 1080 Ti launch price and it launched 2 years ago. So 0 performance/$ improvement. They basically pulled an NV.

I wonder if NV just did some basic calculations at what Vega20 can do and what it will cost and priced their lineup accordingly (also with 0 performance/$ increase)

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Weeks before CES I had seen reporting that the initial Vega 7 run would be 20k cards worldwide. The 5k might just be the US allocation and Tweaktown doesn't have all of the information.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Weeks before CES I had seen reporting that the initial Vega 7 run would be 20k cards worldwide. The 5k might just be the US allocation and Tweaktown doesn't have all of the information.

I forget where I read it (and for all I recall it may have been in some video) but I do remember hearing that same 20,000 figure, but it may have been a range like 20,000 to 40,000.

It was all still rumors though, so it's not like this information is necessarily any more solid than any other figure.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Wouldn't it be dependent on how many faulty Instinct cards they're getting back? Not sure quite how they'd be able to predict that in advance.

Certainly can't imagine they'll be using any fully viable dies for these things.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Wouldn't it be dependent on how many faulty Instinct cards they're getting back? Not sure quite how they'd be able to predict that in advance.

Certainly can't imagine they'll be using any fully viable dies for these things.

Sort of. Feb 7th is the launch date so these cards are already built and on a boat to where ever they destined for in the world. AMD absolutely know how many card they have at this point in the process.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
I wonder how it will do in ETH mining. I get around 40 MH/s on my Vega 64 Nitro.
When asked at CES, apparently an AMD rep stated that Radeon VII would be "at least 25% faster" at mining Ethereum than Vega 56/64. If it's only a 25% boost that would put the hashrate in the 50-55 range. I'm skeptical that it isn't more than that, given how much ethash loves memory bandwidth, but either way we'll find out soon enough. If it's only low to mid 50's, then the older generation is still better bang for the buck. Not that it makes a lot of sense to expand mining operations these days anyway.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

Once you start getting wafers back, you can model this fairly reliably. Yield patterns have been studied for a long time and being able to predict the number and types of chips that you'll have is necessary when sourcing other components or determining what to charge.

Any full die is going to be an MI60 part. MI50 is the salvage part with 4 CUs disabled. The MI50 looks identical to the Radeon VII on paper, but there may be some other defects that separate those two. We know that the double precision FP rate isn't as good, so a good bet would be that any cards which have defects affecting that could be binned for consumer Radeon cards.

Otherwise, AMD would take a massive hit for each card sold as a Radeon VII that could otherwise be at least an MI50. Those cards cost thousands of dollars, so even if AMD makes a few hundred selling a Radeon VII at $700, they're losing out on significantly more profit.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
When asked at CES, apparently an AMD rep stated that Radeon VII would be "at least 25% faster" at mining Ethereum than Vega 56/64. If it's only a 25% boost that would put the hashrate in the 50-55 range. I'm skeptical that it isn't more than that, given how much ethash loves memory bandwidth, but either way we'll find out soon enough. If it's only low to mid 50's, then the older generation is still better bang for the buck. Not that it makes a lot of sense to expand mining operations these days anyway./QUOTE]

Gamers everywhere would be thrilled if it sucked at crypto-mining.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well, it's a cut-down compute card being marketed as a gaming card. So I question whether gamers will care either way when it's got such a tiny niche as an addressable market.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I broke down and can't take it anymore or wait. Just ordered a RTX 2080 ti FE and Asus 27" 1440p IPS 165Hz PG279QZ. Should get everything by this weekend.

This will hold me off for a while and my next system will be all AMD.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
@Thrashard it'll be fast. I seriously hope you don't get one of the space invader cards.

I'm terrified about that, but going to take a chance. Ended up getting it directly off Nvidia site and much cheaper than Amazon prices.

Worst case scenario, the RMA process will be easier getting directly from Nvidia. Was reading Kyle from [H]ardOCP got 2 bad cards, but that was few months ago.

Originally I was going to maybe settle with a Vega for now, but I waited too long to upgrade and I don't want a used card from someone - Especially if it came from a Bitcoin rig, and been reading stories of people doing custom BIOS flashes to the card. Too much of a mess right now to get a card.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
AMD Radeon Vega VII Will Feature 64 ROPs and Botched Down FP64 Support – Rumored To Have Less Than 5000 Units With No AIB Models

Alright so first up, we have a rumor by TweakTown which states that the AMD Radeon Vega VII graphics card will have less than 5000 units made during its production cycle and each card is going to be sold at a loss considering these are just repurposed Instinct MI50 parts that could’ve been sold for much higher prices to the HPC sector.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-vega-vii-5000-units-64-rops-no-fp64-compute/

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
AMD Radeon Vega VII Will Feature 64 ROPs and Botched Down FP64 Support – Rumored To Have Less Than 5000 Units With No AIB Models

Alright so first up, we have a rumor by TweakTown which states that the AMD Radeon Vega VII graphics card will have less than 5000 units made during its production cycle and each card is going to be sold at a loss considering these are just repurposed Instinct MI50 parts that could’ve been sold for much higher prices to the HPC sector.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-vega-vii-5000-units-64-rops-no-fp64-compute/

Two post above yours is an official statement from AMD debunking what you just posted (Which in itself had already been posted earlier).

Reactions: krumme and kawi6rr

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Two post above yours is an official statement from AMD debunking what you just posted (Which in itself had already been posted earlier).
it did?????

quote:
This morning AMD has released an official response to these rumours, claiming that the company expects to meet demand from gamers, declining to release detailed production numbers. On top of that, AMD also confirmed that the company's AIB partners would be selling Radeon VII graphics cards, alongside their retail presence on AMD.com, which means that AMD has produced their new graphics card in large enough quantities for AIBs to receive a sizable stock allocation.

Sadly this statement doesn't confirm whether or not there will be any custom variants of the Radeon VII, such as an ROG Strix model, MSI GamingX version or a Sapphite Nitro variant. In this case, versions from AIB partners are likely to use AMD's reference design, which already boasts a triple fan cooler design. The statement below should not be seen as a confirmation of custom AIB versions of the Radeon VII.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it did?????

quote:
This morning AMD has released an official response to these rumours, claiming that the company expects to meet demand from gamers, declining to release detailed production numbers. On top of that, AMD also confirmed that the company's AIB partners would be selling Radeon VII graphics cards, alongside their retail presence on AMD.com, which means that AMD has produced their new graphics card in large enough quantities for AIBs to receive a sizable stock allocation.

Sadly this statement doesn't confirm whether or not there will be any custom variants of the Radeon VII, such as an ROG Strix model, MSI GamingX version or a Sapphite Nitro variant. In this case, versions from AIB partners are likely to use AMD's reference design, which already boasts a triple fan cooler design. The statement below should not be seen as a confirmation of custom AIB versions of the Radeon VII.

right, I agree that AMD's statement didn't really debunk that rumor. It's typical company speak. They just aren't saying anything beyond "we expect to meet gamer's demand," which could just as easily mean: "we don't see much demand beyond 5000 units of this product." :D

as to the first part, these aren't parts that could have been sold as M150 parts. These chips didn't make the cut, so never would have been sold as a full M150 anyway. Selling them for $$$ is better than tossing them for 100% "loss," isn't it? Granted, you spend money on boards that you wouldn't otherwise have made, but it gets you more cash out of a full wafer, where only a certain percentage of that wafer was netting proper chips.

Or something.

Reactions: happy medium

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
right, I agree that AMD's statement didn't really debunk that rumor. It's typical company speak. They just aren't saying anything beyond "we expect to meet gamer's demand," which could just as easily mean: "we don't see much demand beyond 5000 units of this product." :D

as to the first part, these aren't parts that could have been sold as M150 parts. These chips didn't make the cut, so never would have been sold as a full M150 anyway. Selling them for $$$ is better than tossing them for 100% "loss," isn't it? Granted, you spend money on boards that you wouldn't otherwise have made, but it gets you more cash out of a full wafer, where only a certain percentage of that wafer was netting proper chips.

Or something.

Small and not very meaningful, but for clarity, it is MI50, not M150.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017

Or something.

Based on what?