News AMD Announces Radeon VII

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
If RTX had come in at sane prices, this card would not exist in this space. So I guess in a way, if you're not one for the 'fluff' features, we can thank nvidia for allowing another option to exist at this price point.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Has anyone been able to sign up on AMD site to be notified about release ?

Last few days I keep visiting the site and fill out info and keep getting the following error. I may call Investor Relations tomorrow and see what going on for them to pass the word of error-

Please correct the following errors:

• We were unable to process your request; please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support for assistance.

Reactions: Kenmitch

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Has anyone been able to sign up on AMD site to be notified about release ?

Last few days I keep visiting the site and fill out info and keep getting the following error. I may call Investor Relations tomorrow and see what going on for them to pass the word of error-

Please correct the following errors:

• We were unable to process your request; please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support for assistance.

I signed up this morning(United States).

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Damn, I'll try another PC then. I disabled uBlock Orgin thinking it was blocking the process but same error.

Edit: this is bunch of BS, I tried 3 different PC and even installed Chrome to try and same error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenmitch

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I am not interested in buying one, but I signed up to be notified about release to see if I had a problem and didn't have any issue. uBlock was on as well.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Would be great if it's a compute beast. Attacking the competition in the lucrative markets while offering competitive products at attractive prices hurts them more than AMD loosing a little profit.

Don't you think it would better if AMD priced it, $750? Maybe even $800? I mean, if their own slides showed it beating a $800 RTX 2080, surely they are confident it can go toe-to-toe with it? And if on the compute side it can, as so many are hoping for, compete with a $2500 Titan, surely $800 is justifiable?

I get prices are soaring, but seriously is this how pro-AMD posters expect AMD to catch up? By continuously underselling their products? Again, the HD 4870 redux conundrum. You see it almost everywhere regarding this company. It's almost as it's loyal users/buyers would rather the company exist as a small player selling cheaper products versus making money and competing on a better platform?

Pre-Polaris launch: 90% of GTX 1080 in DX12 for half the price. Yeah, sure
RX 580 - GTX 1070 performance closer to GTX 1080 overclocked, for half the price!. Yeah, sure.
Vega - poor Vega.
Zen - you had posters expecting a i7 4970 killer for half the price. You can argue they got something to what they wanted in multi-tasking threads.

But why are the people you'd expect to prop AMD usually the first who want the world for half the price?

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I never saw that mentioned, website form is website form as well, unless they blocking my IP address.

I'm going to call investor relations tomorrow and demand I get on this list. I own several thousand shares of AMD. If not, then I'll be getting RTX 2080. I need a card upgrade now.

--------

> In the terms on that page it says mention of living in Europe but I dont see specific info that you must live in Europe... very strange

If you are located in the European Economic Area, you understand that: (i) your personal information may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area; and (ii) you may have additional rights in relation to the personal information you supply to us.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Don't you think it would better if AMD priced it, $750? Maybe even $800? I mean, if their own slides showed it beating a $800 RTX 2080, surely they are confident it can go toe-to-toe with it?

As numerous others have said time and time again, we already know what happens to sales when AMD charges the same price as NVidia.

In an ideal world this wouldn't be the case, but NVidia has mindshare that AMD doesn't, and brands do have value. It's why Apple can sell phones for $1000 when other companies can barely get by selling equivalent hardware for half the price.

$700 is already a niche market. It doesn't really matter what AMD does here as they're not planning on shipping massive numbers of these cards. An extra $50 may not even result in an additional quarter million dollars in revenue if some of the rumors regarding the limited supply of these cards are to be believed.

If this card happens to fit your niche needs and represents a good value, by all means purchase one. I think that most of us would rather hold out for Navi and hope that AMD has made significant improvements to their architecture and that they sell them at prices that represent a similarly significant improvement in value to the consumer.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't you think it would better if AMD priced it, $750? Maybe even $800? I mean, if their own slides showed it beating a $800 RTX 2080, surely they are confident it can go toe-to-toe with it? And if on the compute side it can, as so many are hoping for, compete with a $2500 Titan, surely $800 is justifiable?

Looking at the AMD of today I'm thinking the overall strategy is too bring the competition to them and not follow them. If you make a compelling product that can satisfy the market(s) and sell it for a reasonable price it makes the competition look overpriced. If AMD'S offering cuts into the competitor's sales they have to cut prices, offer more, or both. Zen did this to Intel. Sure Intel still sells, but now a person pays less for more than in the past. Gotta hurt Intel more than the extra bucks AMD would make. Same philosophy applies towards Nvidia. AMD just went after Intel 1st.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Looking at the AMD of today I'm thinking the overall strategy is too bring the competition to them and not follow them. If you make a compelling product that can satisfy the market(s) and sell it for a reasonable price it makes the competition look overpriced. If AMD'S offering cuts into the competitor's sales they have to cut prices, offer more, or both. Zen did this to Intel. Sure Intel still sells, but now a person pays less for more than in the past. Gotta hurt Intel more than the extra bucks AMD would make. Same philosophy applies towards Nvidia. AMD just went after Intel 1st.

With the FP revelation, even r/AMD is changing their opinion on Radeon 7. It went from "Titan Killer" to "well this is DOA now."

Zen was a massive upgrade to previous AMD processors. I don't feel like Radeon 7 is that to Vega 64, but will wait for Radeon 7 reviews, but I'm already guessing a repeat of Vega 64 vs GTX 1080, well hopefully without the miners. I just watched a DF video for RE2:Remake that made me put on my tinfoil hat. The person noted bad reflections on the PC version of the game versus the console version. He believes this game may have some DXR/RT functions. If DXR gets more usage, and devs go down this rabbit hole - well, I'll keep my tinfoil hatting to myself.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005

I get prices are soaring, but seriously is this how pro-AMD posters expect AMD to catch up? By continuously underselling their products? Again, the HD 4870 redux conundrum. You see it almost everywhere regarding this company. It's almost as it's loyal users/buyers would rather the company exist as a small player selling cheaper products versus making money and competing on a better platform?

Pre-Polaris launch: 90% of GTX 1080 in DX12 for half the price. Yeah, sure
RX 580 - GTX 1070 performance closer to GTX 1080 overclocked, for half the price!. Yeah, sure.
Vega - poor Vega.
Zen - you had posters expecting a i7 4970 killer for half the price. You can argue they got something to what they wanted in multi-tasking threads.

But why are the people you'd expect to prop AMD usually the first who want the world for half the price?
According to AMD's benchmarks it's around 10% slower than the 2080 and around 1080ti perf. You're making it look like they can either price it at $700 or $400. They don't. They could've priced it at $600 and it would've been much better. At $700, for gaming, it competes against a faster and more efficient 2080 with the usual Nvidia PR feature (stereoscopic 3D, physx, gameworks, rtx or whatever). Unless benchmarks show otherwise, the only thing going for it is "future proof" 16GB ram - which might (or might not) pan out.

Of course this is pending reviews. If the card is faster than a 2080 from day 1 - then at least it'll be give people other options and maybe some mindshare, but I don't see that happening. Also, that's obviously for gaming. If you need something for compute, then that's something else eniterly.

Reactions: Muhammed

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
As numerous others have said time and time again, we already know what happens to sales when AMD charges the same price as NVidia.

In an ideal world this wouldn't be the case, but NVidia has mindshare that AMD doesn't, and brands do have value. It's why Apple can sell phones for $1000 when other companies can barely get by selling equivalent hardware for half the price.

Yeah, I know, but this isn't what I was originally addressing. I was addressing this notion that people thought AMD was rolling out an MI/Titan competitor for $700. If they honestly thought this, they haven't been following AMD's latest moves in the GPU sector.

$700 is already a niche market. It doesn't really matter what AMD does here as they're not planning on shipping massive numbers of these cards. An extra $50 may not even result in an additional quarter million dollars in revenue if some of the rumors regarding the limited supply of these cards are to be believed.

If this card happens to fit your niche needs and represents a good value, by all means purchase one. I think that most of us would rather hold out for Navi and hope that AMD has made significant improvements to their architecture and that they sell them at prices that represent a similarly significant improvement in value to the consumer.

Yeah, I completely agree. As more info comes out, man how do they botch things THIS bad!, people have mostly lost interest. It won't be a compute card hitting outside of it's price point. It will probably beat RTX 2080 in some games, loses in some, while using absurd amounts of more power out of the gate. People are better off waiting for Navi. Again, my initial concern with this continuing mentallity is it almost feels like people don't want AMD to charge more even if they have the better product. Sure, sell $700 GPU that can compete with a $1000+ cards. Sure ignore that your rival is charging 2x-3x what you are for the same performance. Just undersell them, and expect for the monies to roll in!that.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
According to AMD's benchmarks it's around 10% slower than the 2080 and around 1080ti perf. You're making it look like they can either price it at $700 or $400. They don't. They could've priced it at $600 and it would've been much better. At $700, for gaming, it competes against a faster and more efficient 2080 with the usual Nvidia PR feature (stereoscopic 3D, physx, gameworks, rtx or whatever). Unless benchmarks show otherwise, the only thing going for it is "future proof" 16GB ram - which might (or might not) pan out.

AMD is going to price it where they feel it would make the most impact. I have NO issue with this. Are people missing my comments about "why would AMD sell a GPU that competes in $1,000+ markets for $700" part? If AMD charges $400 for a card that goes toe-to-toe with a $800 card, that's the same issue. They are leaving money on the table. Money they can use, and I'm sure would want! Hell, this product might even have supply issues, they can even charge more! But, that's me thinking more of "how can AMD make as much as possible" versus "how can AMD cater to me more."

Of course this is pending reviews. If the card is faster than a 2080 from day 1 - then at least it'll be give people other options and maybe some mindshare, but I don't see that happening. Also, that's obviously for gaming. If you need something for compute, then that's something else eniterly.

I completely agree! If you swung by r/AMD, before people learned of the FP cap, it was a "Titan killer" now its been revealed it won't have FP and its more like "well, at least now it's an alternative." I don't get this. You want AMD to be healthy but you expect them to do so by underselling their products by huge amounts. This is solely on the initial expected FP performance. Gaming performance was ignored. Because it didn't move price / perf much, but "DAT COMPUTE MOSTER!" And now it's just "meh."

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I think that most of us would rather hold out for Navi and hope that AMD has made significant improvements.

A possible problem I see is Navi will probably be a PCIE4 card with advanced features forcing you to upgrade your Motherboard and pray your Memory works right. This is all a major upgrade leading to better 4K support and performance.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Yea, PCIe4 will work with 3, but you are only getting a small taste of it's bigger potential. By the time the 2nd and 3rd revision Motherboards come out, there will be a whole new better video card. It's a constant game

This is really tough position for me and forced to wait even till March, I was looking to buy a video card almost a month ago...ugh Good thing is RTX 2080 has dropped almost $200 since then.

For me, regardless RTX 2080 vs Radeon 7, I will see a 300+% performance boost to really enjoy 1440p and future proof my system as a last Oorah while running PCIe3.

I don't play much new games and this new The Division 2 game looks sick. Since the game was designed with AMD, I have a feeling the Radeon 7 will perform much better than 2080 running in 1440p

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Yea, PCIe4 will work with 3, but you are only getting a small taste of it's bigger potential.

There's nothing magical with PCIe4, it's just better throughput. Considering that you don't even need more than 8 lanes for a 1080 Ti, there's no added benefit for mainstream cards. Maybe if AMD figured out how to achieve ridiculous Crossfire scaling and 4x Navi cards were a thing, then there's a benefit to having PCIe4 since you can get by giving each card fewer lanes.

The average consumer doesn't see much additional benefit from it.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Hardocp has an interview with Scott H from RTG today. They talked about why 16gb of vram was important. It’s nice to have but all the talk with vega was hbcc so you didn’t need huge vram buffers because it could use system ram. Now the marketing changes

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Looks like a lucky lottery..lol. For world-wide distribution, 5,000 is nothing.

If Division 2 is coming out in March there will have to be more cards coming out.

So nothing from Asus or other companies and wait ? My understanding AMD never released the RX 590 and this was by Asus, Sapphire. To make things even odder is Diamond Multimedia only released RX 580 and never released any Vega cards. What's up with Diamond ?? They used to be a solid company, unless they will be releasing something that no one knows yet ?

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007