AMD Aims To Give OpenGL A Big Boost, “API Won’t Be The Bottleneck”

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eyeofcore

Oct 1, 2013
If AMD fixes their Linux drivers and provides a better Open GL support then nVidia is literally screwed, I've seen benchmarks and AMD is better or on par to nVidia even with lacking support compared to nVidia that has at least some decent support for it though Valve should rather choose AMD because of Mantle and their support of Open GL and with Steamboxes if they choose AMD they could use Open Source drivers and make their own drivers and even ask AMD to give them the code compared to nVidia that will not. nVidia is on a rampage since they lost all the consoles, you see Origin dropping AMD since they nVidia sponsored them with probably a term of dropping AMD's GPU's with a BS excuse and that will backfire to Origin. AMD already got another vendor, it is Origin's lost and that could cost them their head, if someone is gaining a momentum then you should be following him, not choose another direction towards a freaking cliff.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I thought we were talking about software and drivers, not hardware, but what is the point of being first when it's filled with caveats? Did AMD ever get multi-threaded functionality in their DX11 drivers? That's a pretty big feature to have been left out for so very long.

And I thought DirectX was software...I guess not? :confused:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The proverbial pot of course.

I just don't understand how anyone could find that inflammatory. Direct to metal would be huge for pro animation/modeling apps. Unlike gamers pros would like nothing better than reducing the minimum hardware requirements.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I just don't understand how anyone could find that inflammatory. Direct to metal would be huge for pro animation/modeling apps. Unlike gamers pros would like nothing better than reducing the minimum hardware requirements.

This would be in line with previous comments by AMD but I seriously doubt any brand is going to develop anything for a 0% of its user base. More considering that AMD can't get its OpenCL drivers right. Remember that ATM there are zero production ready renderers for AMD GPUs.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
This would be in line with previous comments by AMD but I seriously doubt any brand is going to develop anything for a 0% of its user base. More considering that AMD can't get its OpenCL drivers right. Remember that ATM there are zero production ready renderers for AMD GPUs.

I'm not talking for the rendering pipeline. To my knowledge pros still aren't using GPU rendering anyway. Pro render farms are CPU based. I'm talking for the editor side of the program, which does use GPU rendering and AMD does make products for.

As far as the software companies adding it, I doubt there's much chance of that. At least not on their own. Again, AFAIK any implication of vendor specific API's, like CUDA for example, have been on the hardware manufacturers shoulders, and the software companies just give input and help with testing, then endorse it.

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
amd wants to make its opengl support better. threadcrap all over the place.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
No, they havent.

The most hilarious example is equivalent Nvidia cards are running significantly faster than AMD/ATi cards on AMD processors in Battlefield 4.

AMD/ATi stonewalled DICE into not supporting multi-threaded rendering in Battlefield 3 but it was not able to do so for Battlefield 4.

You are continually blabbing on about this "multi-threaded driver issue" that AMD has. How about you post some ACTUAL proof? A link to a reputable article, something. Otherwise, stop spreading mis-information.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
And I thought DirectX was software...I guess not? :confused:

Directx is software. How did AMD innovate and/or create directx? They did not. They simply followed specs (well, kind of... still missing dx11 features in their drivers) set in stone by Microsoft. So again, AMD is always catching up with functionality and features in their drivers. Their hardware engineers are always two steps ahead of their driver team, hence the reason I said

Has AMD suddenly hired additional software engineers? They were already ALWAYS playing catch up with functionality and features, now they've added their own proprietary API and are still trying to get CFX working properly at all times. On top of that, they reiterated their support for Linux last week. Sounds like they are making bold claims which will be a long time in coming to fulfill. I think they'd be best off just working on and getting their drivers across all products up to full functioning status and lay off the long-term bold claims.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35579134&postcount=12

You follow?

Last edited:

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
All my favourite games are OpenGL such as Quake HD with the Dark Places mod, Quake II with the Berserker mod, RTCW, Wolfenstein, Quake III: Arena and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Rage.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_linux312_major&num=1

Those benchmarks of a Radeon HD 4000 series GPU showed the Linux 3.12 kernel bringing major performance improvements over Linux 3.11 and prior. Some games improved with just low double-digit gains while other Linux games were nearly 90% faster!

[...]

In fact, the upstream open-source AMD driver developers aren't exactly sure of the cause... The change in performance isn't due to DPM as it isn't enabled by default on Linux 3.12, it wasn't the blit code change to use the CP DMA engine as that's an R600-only change, there were no visual corruption/artifact issues to indicate bad rendering, etc.

Alex Deucher, the lead open-source Radeon driver developer at AMD and a regular contributor to the Phoronix Forums isn't sure of the cause of the significant Radeon OpenGL performance improvements. Alex wrote on Saturday in the forums, "[To be honest], I don't know of any particular changes that would have had much impact on performance."

Luckstruck?

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
I'm not talking for the rendering pipeline. To my knowledge pros still aren't using GPU rendering anyway. Pro render farms are CPU based. I'm talking for the editor side of the program, which does use GPU rendering and AMD does make products for.

As far as the software companies adding it, I doubt there's much chance of that. At least not on their own. Again, AFAIK any implication of vendor specific API's, like CUDA for example, have been on the hardware manufacturers shoulders, and the software companies just give input and help with testing, then endorse it.

Define pros.

Pixar has been using GPU based tesselation for hair and cuda rendering for so long it's more or less an accepted standard. It's no secret that Dreamworks has been partnered with Intel for a long time but even they have started using gpu opengl based rendering in house.

That aside, accelerated viewports for editing aren't really much of a discussion on the tech relevance side because most of the features are driver locked to sell expensive professional cards.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
They are welcome to start caring for OGL ecosystems by bringing their Linux drivers to some standards.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
You are continually blabbing on about this "multi-threaded driver issue" that AMD has. How about you post some ACTUAL proof? A link to a reputable article, something. Otherwise, stop spreading mis-information.

This doesn't constitute proof, but look at how massive the difference in performance is compared to AMD and NVidia in BF4 beta;
specifically the FX-8350 scores. That's a huge 32% difference!

But as far as I know, BF4 hasn't been officially claimed to support DirectX Multithreading.. NVidia has had multithreaded drivers for a long time though, even before DirectX 11.

bf4_cpu_radeon.png

bf4_cpu_geforce.png

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I thought we were talking about software and drivers, not hardware, but what is the point of being first when it's filled with caveats? Did AMD ever get multi-threaded functionality in their DX11 drivers? That's a pretty big feature to have been left out for so very long.

Still nothing in Catalyst 13.11. Its simply pathetic. The feature missing is Command lists.

Command lists can be created on multiple threads — A command list is a recorded sequence of graphics commands. With Direct3D 11, you can create command lists on multiple CPU threads, which enables parallel traversal of the scene database or physics processing on multiple threads. This frees the main rendering thread to dispatch command buffers to the hardware.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Wow, posting beta results as proof of anything.

Seriously...

Obviously you didn't read the post. I plainly said that it didn't constitute proof, but it's definitely something to look at because I know the GTX 770 isn't that much faster than a 7970Ghz, and the game is releasing very soon so I don't think the AMD drivers should be that un-optimized..