AMD 7900GRE general release

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Global release (was China-only), price-cut from $650 to $550. Also 7700XT gets a $30 price-cut to $419.

OMG guys, AMD must be selling both cards at a loss, amirite? o_O

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
At the same MSRP the 7900GRE is almost 30% faster in Raster and only 10% slower in RT at 1440p against the RTX4070.
16GB vs 12GB and excellent thermals and noise levels.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have to give the devil his due. Rich has the best look at the card I've seen. How and why he tested as he did, and the fact he changed the cost per frame Ferengi math from what all the other big outlets use, is praise worthy. There is obvious the perfunctory Nvidia marketing points; he likes money. It didn't keep the review from being entertaining and balanced though.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
HWUB is my go to, and the GRE was even worse than I was expecting. It's barely above the 7800XT, and it's being purposefully crippled by low memory speeds. What is the point?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
HWUB is my go to, and the GRE was even worse than I was expecting.
LULZ yeah man, we all know your POV by now. It was tested 6 months ago what were you expecting to change? Don't answer that it's rhetorical. ;)
What is the point?
So when they clear out the early adopters they can release a super version. Wait, no, that' not right. A Titanium Rabbit Edition. No, its element symbol is Ti... can't do that. Platinum Rabbit Edition, yeah that's better.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wonder if there will be BIOS mods for overclocking the memory further. Would be neat.

Reactions: KompuKare

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This thread is off to a great start! :D
Watch the DF vid if you get a chance. Changing the Ferengi math was something I appreciate. Rich, despite the close relationship with Nvidia still produces some good content for other vendors. This is a fine example. Going all the way back to 2016? when he showed the FX 8350 was better in Witcher 3 than the i3 and i5 of the time, I have perused his content. No one else was taking the time to test Novigrad market or the docks where CPU load is heaviest, and he put the extra work in.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I have to give the devil his due. Rich has the best look at the card I've seen. How and why he tested as he did, and the fact he changed the cost per frame Ferengi math from what all the other big outlets use, is praise worthy. There is obvious the perfunctory Nvidia marketing points; he likes money. It didn't keep the review from being entertaining and balanced though.

I don't think that they are highlighting nvidia marketing points due to money, the people involved in DF clearly appreciate RT as enthusiasts of the latest graphics tech and the value and polish of DLSS

I think his analysis was very fair, the card is offering better value than others around it, but there are some disadvantages still.

Reactions: Heartbreaker

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't think that they are highlighting nvidia marketing points due to money, the people involved in DF clearly appreciate RT as enthusiasts of the latest graphics tech and the value and polish of DLSS
Here we disagree. They are provided and promote exclusive sponsored content from Nvidia. If you don't think that comes with some "editorial direction"; the same kind they tried to push on hardware unboxed, then <insert we are not the same meme here>. Sometimes it's digital foundry, sometimes it's digital founder's edition. I am far from alone in this opinion.
I think his analysis was very fair, the card is offering better value than others around it, but there are some disadvantages still.
Here we agree and I wrote as much.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Watch the DF vid if you get a chance. Changing the Ferengi math was something I appreciate. Rich, despite the close relationship with Nvidia still produces some good content for other vendors. This is a fine example. Going all the way back to 2016? when he showed the FX 8350 was better in Witcher 3 than the i3 and i5 of the time, I have perused his content. No one else was taking the time to test Novigrad market or the docks where CPU load is heaviest, and he put the extra work in.
The HWUB and DF reviews are drastically different in data points and conclusion.
Who do I believe? 🤔 :tearsofjoy:

Jul 27, 2020
Consider just this point: Geforce cards will get slower with age due to being left out of future driver optimizations but Radeon cards will get faster with fine wine drivers!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The HWUB and DF reviews are drastically different in data points and conclusion.
Who do I believe? 🤔 :tearsofjoy:
Here's an idea. Don't believe anything. Look at half dozen reviews out there. How each tested, what they tested with. Which games they used and at which settings for those games. Then maybe form you own conclusion. Or you can let Aussie Steve spoon feed you and be content with not having your own opinion.

Daniel-San tested not only resolution but different quality settings at those resolutions, upscaling, RT, and frame generation. GN tested with a 12700KF so their results are interesting too.

After watching and reading, I've concluded it falls exactly where it should for price to performance. It's a boring release because of that. If they had drop the rest of the 7000 series stack below it $50 and made the MSRP $499 it'd be much more interesting.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

It's funny how they never talk much about Nvidia's DX12 driver overhead that hurts the cards with lower end cpus but they screamed it from the rooftops when AMD's DX11 driver overhead made their gpus a problem with lower end cpus years ago.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Here's an idea. Don't believe anything. Look at half dozen reviews out there. How each tested, what they tested with. Which games they used and at which settings for those games. Then maybe form you own conclusion. Or you can let Aussie Steve spoon feed you and be content with not having your own opinion.

Daniel-San tested not only resolution but different quality settings at those resolutions, upscaling, RT, and frame generation. GN tested with a 12700KF so their results are interesting too.

After watching and reading, I've concluded it falls exactly where it should for price to performance. It's a boring release because of that. If they had drop the rest of the 7000 series stack below it $50 and made the MSRP $499 it'd be much more interesting.
I'm not an enthusiast, so Thanks for the executive summary! I read the Tom's conclusion and it's somewhere between the extremes.

I think the 7700 XT will undercut $400 at some point, and the 7800 XT could sniff $460 and below.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
These are out in force at MC. Great availability and at MSRP or very close:

1709047761405.png

The daily email from MC highlighted the launch and their availability.

I highlight this because I thought maybe we'd get one or two skus with handful in stock at most. This seems like a legit launch.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm not an enthusiast, so Thanks for the executive summary! I read the Tom's conclusion and it's somewhere between the extremes.

I think the 7700 XT will undercut $400 at some point, and the 7800 XT could sniff $460 and below.

I agree. When we see the 7700XT/7800XT/7900GRE lineup hitting 399/449/500 then we'll be finally getting some value back after years of one way price movements. Heck, I'd like the 7700XT closer to $350 but oh well.

I am hopeful that I will get an RDNA4 card that doubles the perf of my 6800 for less than $600 pre tax. That means a card with perf between the 7900XT and 7900XTX. We inched a little closer today.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
More options and more downward price pressure. Say what you will about the card itself, its general release is a good thing, not unlike many of the Super cards.
The 7700XT just got an official price cut to $419. Should be seeing sub $400 sale prices on lower end models soon. But it's always these little dink and dunks. I agree with @blckgrffn that $350 is where it would shine. Replacing the 6700XT and 6750XT for that price range.

If AMD keeps doing this dumb bang for buck adjustment vs Nvidia? Always trying to maximize profits for themselves and their partners whenever possible, for as long as possible? Then lets say I'd enjoy seeing what happens if Gandalf/B series shows up and wizard staffs them right in the tenders.