AMD 64 and Windows XP SP2

GfW

May 27, 2004
Microsoft has a new article in their knowledge base that says if you are using any AMD 64 processor (including Opteron) do not attempt to install the Windows XP SP2. It just plain won't work.

Don't you just love the folks from Redmond?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Link? The closest I see is 878474 which describes a possible problem if you have data execution prevention (DEP) enabled. Disable DEP and be happy.

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
I have it installed with DEP enabled with absolutely no problems. My computer is 100% stable and DEP works well.

foofoo

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2001
yet another sp2 user on 2 a64 machines with no problems whatsoever.
a big ymmv.

sisooktom

Apr 9, 2004
Originally posted by: GfW
Microsoft has a new article in their knowledge base that says if you are using any AMD 64 processor (including Opteron) do not attempt to install the Windows XP SP2. It just plain won't work.

Having fun trolling are we? That's not what the KB article says. It says you MAY have trouble using DEP if you have a hardware device that requires Mpegport.sys. Not exactly the same as "It just plain won't work":disgust:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
ymmv? thats a new one... whats it mean?

Another A64 + SP2, rock solid, except for an unrelated problem with my pc.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BlvdKing
I have it installed with DEP enabled with absolutely no problems. My computer is 100% stable and DEP works well.

cptCuervo

May 26, 2003
Ditto, no problems here, but my system is not using "Mpegport.sys".

However, Microsoft did recommend that it should not be installed on A64's. I wonder if there are other issues that may arise or that are not being discussed.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Jeez freaking Louise.

This is a driver BUG. An obscure driver bug. Sigma Designs is a decoder vendor. One of their products is the new chip for the next generation HD-DVD set-top DVD players (Blue Laser, not Blu-Ray). They have a decoder board that requires this driver from the looks of the products on their site.

This is not a SP2 problem. This is not an AMD64 problem. MS did not cause this. Intel's implementation of NX would probably yield the same results. It might have been MS that even discovered this as the WMV-HD guys would probably be playing in this field with that equipment. MS guys actually like AMD if you knew them (they have battles with Intel at times). MS is telling everyone who looks their way to write 64-bit drivers. AMD has been one of the biggest sponsors of the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference and still is.

ABM, right? :|

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: GfW

This is one of the dumbest thing I've read today :roll:

moparmaga

Mar 17, 2004
Another A64 user, works fine for me, but I did loose everything on the harddrive the first install attempt, but I think that had something to do with ZoneAlarm. I would get to the Windows welcome screen and it would reboot, over and over. Format and reinstall fixed it though.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: BlvdKing

skadoo323

Aug 15, 2004
keeping my fingers crossed, but i have SP2 installed on a laptop with an amd 64 3000 cpu and a desktop with an amd 64 3800+ cpu and havne't had any problems either.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nippyjun
how do you turn off DEP?
Control Panels - System - Advanced - Performance Settings - Data Execution Protection

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Somehow I have the feeling Microsoft would have noticed if it "just plain didn't work" during beta testing.
During pre-alpha testing actually.

carni

Mar 22, 2004
hmm..well. I did have teh problem when I installed SP2 and had to do a roll back. I couldnt disable DEP since DEP was preventing me from accessing "My Computer", "COntrol Panel" or the file manager. I did a spy ware sweep, and a virus check. Still to no avail. So I did a rol back and life is good. Not sure if it was due to my 64 chip, and personnally don't care. I can live without SP2 for awhile.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I have (2) - Athlon64 systems here and Service Pack2 on both and everything is perfect. :)

Jason