AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
can we really tell if it's actual limited stock vs bots?

No, we can't. And tech sites that hammer on the supplier for limited availability are missing a prime opportunity to apply some pressure to the e-tailers that are just fine selling to the bots because they get their money either way. Some sustained negative publicity MIGHT move the needle a little on this issue. Also, if these are actual tech journalists, then maybe they could do some investigative journalism on the supply chain to determine what the real issue is instead of assuming. I'd be the first in line to chide AMD or anyone else if some real journalism gave evidence of a "paper launch".

Edit: Man, I'm in a cranky mood today for a Friday. Not suffering hot takes, ignorance, assumptions. People giving me a wide birth today at work too. I've had my coffee today, I swear! :mad::eek::oops::p

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
Looking forward to the 6900XT reviews and would love to snag one, but wow... this is more of a paper launch than nVidia's 30xx series.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
doesn't come out for another 18 days so i'd say it's definitely a paper launch.

It's a vapor launch. Or maybe cyber-paper? Just a announcement until the official sale availability.

Even a reasonably large quantity won't last the day I'd imagine. The scalpers are buying up everything!

I snagged a 3070 today hoping that a local scalper that gets hold of a 6800(XT) will be willing to make a fair trade.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Looking forward to the 6900XT reviews and would love to snag one, but wow... this is more of a paper launch than nVidia's 30xx series.
Why is every single person choosing to forget that AIB vendors aren't even launching until next week?

NVIDIAs launch had both reference and AIBs. Anyone attempting to judge this release before next week smacks of bias or ignorance.

Reactions: DiogoDX

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Does that matter with AMD these days? Not being purposely obtuse, I'm genuinely asking because back a few years ago Nvidia had the much larger game dev relation budget to be able to send engineers to work directly with the programmers or incentivize them to use Nvidia-exclusive features. It seemed like with AMD sponsored games, it didn't make that much if any impact (I remember some AMD-sponsored games even ran better on Nvidia cards at launch). Haven't been keeping up with how the whole sponsorship efforts have panned out though.
It seems like it does - Godfall for example has RT support on AMD but not on NVIDIA. Of course, it is also the other way round in case of Cyberpunk 2077. Though it seems like it is a matter of both AMD getting optimizations done on time versus NVIDIA falling behind in select few cases. Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 come to mind, where it took quite some time for NVIDIA to claw back performance with GeForce compared to Radeon.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Why is every single person choosing to forget that AIB vendors aren't even launching until next week?

NVIDIAs launch had both reference and AIBs. Anyone attempting to judge this release before next week smacks of bias or ignorance.

And man had they better be using that time well. RDNA AIB cards were a hot mess at launch.

I returned AIB designed 5700xt one after test driving a reference 5700 for a couple weeks. Reference blower worked fine, wasn’t really loud, solid performance. Bought a fancy 5700xt at Best Buy and it didn’t freaking turn its fans on until 100C at which point games freaked out and it turned into a hair drier. Many zero RPM fan bugs. ASUS who didn’t tighten heat sinks to spec and MSI that neglected to put thermal pads between the memory and the heatsink on some large part of their day 1 stock? Maybe there were driver issues but with so many hot garbage cards the noise ratio was likely very high.

This just has to go better. Fingers crossed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hm, overclocked to 2.6ghz.

cooler is beast. Only 1k of those things? good luck, nobody that will ever own one.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It seems like it does - Godfall for example has RT support on AMD but not on NVIDIA. Of course, it is also the other way round in case of Cyberpunk 2077. Though it seems like it is a matter of both AMD getting optimizations done on time versus NVIDIA falling behind in select few cases. Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 come to mind, where it took quite some time for NVIDIA to claw back performance with GeForce compared to Radeon.

Godfall will have RT support on NV, just not in the initial RT patch. For Cyberpunk, CDPR said that no RT on AMD cards was a misunderstanding and that Cyberpunk uses DXR so any card that supports DXR will be able to use RT in Cyberpunk. I do expect it to be optimized for NV cards though.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I blame ninjas and their mind-wiping techniques.

AnxiousSilverIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

To be fair, AMD could have waited a week to launch with the AIB partners. Even if all of those cards blow the reference card from AMD out of the water, AMD would still sell every single one of the reference cards because the demand is so high.

Even if there are far more AIB cards available, they'll still sell out quickly and people will just keep calling it a paper launch regardless. There's just too much pent up demand for high-end GPUs now for a whole variety of reasons. Even NVidia loyalists would gladly take a 6800 right now that they'll sell later when they can get a 3080 Ti.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Godfall will have RT support on NV, just not in the initial RT patch. For Cyberpunk, CDPR said that no RT on AMD cards was a misunderstanding and that Cyberpunk uses DXR so any card that supports DXR will be able to use RT in Cyberpunk. I do expect it to be optimized for NV cards though.
Nah, Cyberpunk will not get RT on RDNA2 GPUs at launch, just like Godfall won't get RT on NVIDIA GPUs at launch. CDPR gave an official statement to Computerbase.

We're working with AMD to integrate ray tracing options for their graphics cards as quickly as possible. However, this will not be the case when the game launches.

Reactions: Tlh97