AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
In the presentation they showed quite a few RT titles, but they did not bother showing us the performance. Is there a review embargo in place? I am sure the reviewer will look into RT performance.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

> AMD tells me it has a new super sampling feature in testing, which is designed to increase performance during ray tracing. The company is promising its super sampling technology will be open and cross-platform, which means it could come to next-gen consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5. AMD is working with a number of partners on this technology, and it’s expecting strong industry support. Unfortunately, this won’t be ready for the launch of these three new Radeon RX 6000 Series cards.

So not a mature upscaling tech like DLSS 2.0 is. Imagine if their upscaling tech is as crap as DLSS was its first year. Since they didn't show it off at the show I don't have high hopes for it for a while.

Reactions: xpea

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
In the presentation they showed quite a few RT titles, but they did not bother showing us the performance. Is there a review embargo in place? I am sure the reviewer will look into RT performance.
I just think ray tracing is not very much of a value proposition to myself and many others.

People have shown how these early examples of ray tracing aren't really showing off what it can do and that it will take a few more years into this new generation of ray tracing enabled consoles to begin to take off. Really, it probably is going to be the generation of consoles after this one, launched in 2025 or so that will really push ray tracing.

By that point, both 3080's and 6800's will be obsolete and unable to perform modern ray tracing. It feels like a 30-50% performance penalty for extremely minor effects is just stupid, again just my opinion. Still looking to push maximum frame rates (144+) at the best possible price that will hopefully last me several years.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
So not a mature upscaling tech like DLSS 2.0 is. Imagine if their upscaling tech is as crap as DLSS was its first year. Since they didn't show it off at the show I don't have high hopes for it for a while.

I don't think it will be as bad as DLSS. Even basic upscaling with RIS was better than that. The rumor is that it won't be as good as DLSS2.0 in terms of quality but will be faster and much more widely compatible. AMD is being really tight lipped about it though, so who knows.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
I just think ray tracing is not very much of a value proposition to myself and many others.

If the game offers it, i am not going to skip it. If it is not a value proposition for you - thats totally ok but don't speak for others.
That having said, that Riftbreaker game they showcased did look very nice with RT enabled.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014

Yup need to be wait for the reviews i guess. Thats the second major point for me personally. RT performance need to be there and the upscaling technology should be much better than DLSS1.0 even if it is not quite up there with DLSS2.0.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone is going to have a <$500 video card under the tree this Christmas unless it's used or older. With no comparable RDNA2 products in the stack and RDNA 1 taking away the same wafers they need for Zen3 and RDNA2, it seems likely they might just let prices remain the same and draw down inventory until they launch the rest of the Navi 2x stack next year.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Yup need to be wait for the reviews i guess. Thats the second major point for me personally. RT performance need to be there and the upscaling technology should be much better than DLSS1.0 even if it is not quite up there with DLSS2.0.

For me it's AMD's drivers. If they're actually good this time and the price/performance is as good as indicated today, I'll have no issue switching to AMD.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Anyone think AMD is holding out on a 6900 that is being saved up to respond to NVidia's response to AMD's launch?

Not having a low tier for the 80 CU card means that every 80 CU card is possibly a lowest common denominator for full silicon. The potential upside of this is that AIBs can make their own better bins and offer some decent OC models or that that 6900XT you buy could be the golden sample in the card pile that has a massive amount of OC headroom.

The other possibility is that the 6900XT is really the 6900 with a fancy name and that AMD are holding back the real top 10% that will later be released as a new top card. Or those could just be sold to the third party manufacturers to create some kind of extreme OC model.

Either way, there's a lot of rumors about NVidia making something to slot in between the 3080 and the 3090 and the massive price gap that exists there and there's an obvious large price gap between AMD's own 6800XT and 6900XT where NVidia could target for their own card.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I don't think AMD showed any RT results so presumably NVidia wins there. I don't know if that win is worth $500 though. Sure $50 for the 3080 is worth if you care about RT, but it's a harder sell for a 3090.
I personally couldn't care any less about RT in its current state and form, even if only AMD had it so it's not about brands. It looks cool but nothing really exciting. Path tracing otoh.... I can't wait for it! Hopefully we'll get a real glance at it in 5 years or so.

Reactions: Tlh97

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Actually it's at 48:30. The stream is over now.

Ok, yeah, he's talking about the SAM needing a 5000 series CPU and 500 series MB. He's just kind of scatter brained talking about several different things at the same time. He starts to mention it's for the additional SAM feature but then stops and jumps to a different topic.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
And it cost almost same as 6800XT with 72CU...6800XT is also faster than 3080 and cheaper.Why 6800 cant also by faster and cost atleast same as 3070?

Its very possible AMD gave themselves some room to discount in case NVIDIA drops the price of the 3070. Regardless, I still think getting double the VRAM and a good bit more performance versus the 3070 for $80 is an amazing deal.

BestBuy has the RTX 3070's listed at $500-570 so it's not really more expensive as long as the performance hold up in the reviews.

Reactions: lightmanek

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was hoping to see an answer to DLSS 2.0. Even if their RT is on par with Nvidia's, which it won't be or else they would have said so, DLSS 2.0 gives Nvidia a big edge in games using RT. And with RT in the consoles now there is no way it's not going to get widespread adoption in AAA gaming.

Even with console supporting ray tracing we are already seeing the performance hit. Lots of games are 30fps with ray tracing or need to run at 1080p/1440 to get 60fps. I don't know if we will see a huge jump in games using ray tracing or not. It's kind of early for that. However, ray tracing performance will be a definite concern going forward. Leaked benchmarks put the RT performance of the 6800xt about 18% behind the 3080. That's not a very good start. However those same leaks put performance without ray tracing above the 3080. So maybe the raw performance can help make up for the hit ray tracing has? Not sure. Have to see what actual game benchmarks look like.

Like you mention though, some type of high quality super sampling technique is almost necessary to get the needed performance out of ray tracing enabled games. Hopefully the above mentioned technique AMD is working on comes soon and works well.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012

Now you have some fine details, or Ray Tracing hardware design in RDNA2 GPU.

In short, for example RX 6800/60CU has 60 Ray Accelerators.

2020-10-28_200149.jpg

Reactions: lightmanek

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
RX6800 numbers were with smart acces memory enabled...AMD claims 18% faster than 3070, but smart acces memory increase performance by 5-11%.So without it it will be only 10% faster than 3070.ADD to that no DLSS and slower RT + it will cost 16% more.I am not sure if its better buy than 3070.I think not.Only+ is 16GB Vram.
RX6800XT on other hand was tested without smart acces memory.
Btw for smart acces memory to work you need to have ryzen 5000 and B550/X570 board....

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Is there a "go to" AMD gpu manufacturer for their customer service and quality builds ? For example - EVGA only makes Nvidia boards and is always my go to for the customer service and quality builds such as the FTW series. I have never had a bad EVGA card. I remember when XFX made Nvidia cards. Now they specialize in AMD. Is there one company that's better than the other?