AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:

dr1337

May 25, 2020
That's silly. You can't toss out "flagship cards" and then say, "well, not that flagship card"
The only thing silly here is you trying to rewrite history and label dual GPU cards as the flagship when back then nobody really considered them to be the flagship. There's a reason why in the 7990 Anandtech review Ryan says "Diving right into the thick of things, like the officially unofficial cards before it, AMD’s 7990 is a dual-Tahiti part, placing two of AMD’s flagship GPUs on a single PCB to make a single card".

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
I'm using my Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 so there's no issue with the range (48-165, 48-144 on laptop since HDMI2.0 is the limiting factor but even that is enough to cover everything from 1FPS to 144FPS). There seems to be a problem when it changes LFC factor and that's when it allows tearing briefly. Could be Renoir related bug but clearly visible in NVIDIA Pendulum demo when FPS range simulation is set to 20-50.

They do give you option for controlling AF. The problem is that it doesn't work - read the tip, it's only supported for DX9 and apparently even those games it might not work (judging by quick google fu). AA situation is worse since with NVIDIA you can at least tinker with NVIDIA Inspector. MLAA vs. FXAA (which is much better than the public version of it) is not even a contest. V-sync situation also annoys me...
Maybe it is Nvidia's driver have problem, conflicting with Renoir.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Assuming one has purchased a first class ticket to the hype train,

How does one actually go about successfully purchasing one of these cards on November 18th?

As far as I can tell there is nothing like EVGAs queue system on the AMD side, and I have no idea what time the retailers will post them to their websites. ASUS has said they expect to be sold out in minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ps: asking for a friend ;)

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
How is 256bit card 50% faster than 384bit??Looks like 2020/21 will be worst years ever.Nv cant produce more than 10x 3070/3080/3090 per week and they cost 50% more than they should(EU).AMD cards will be buy out by miners.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
How is 256bit card 50% faster than 384bit??Looks like 2020/21 will be worst years ever.Nv cant produce more than 10x 3070/3080/3090 per week and they cost 50% more than they should(EU).AMD cards will be buy out by miners.

Allegedly because of the 128MB cache. The GPU doesn't need to go to main memory. But hoping that the other calls of it being fake area true. Otherwise gamers will be pretty screwed (again).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Otherwise gamers will be pretty screwed (again).

If AMD has learned anything from past mining debacles, they'll know how to increase supply for the correct markets and balance things out. They can let the surplus cards that kick back into the second hand market serve as their midrange for the next gen. Wash, rinse, repeat.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

I'm gonna cry...

gg!!

not only scaplers you guys now need to fight against miners...
It also does not help to note that bitcoin is at 15k right now... lol....
So yep.... im pretty much going to declare the 6000 series vapor ware, because if you do get one your hella fortunate as you are going to fight scalpers + miners on top even.

Fake or not.. shots have been fired... lol.... people are going to read things like this:

Even tho it may not be true.... i predict a worse launch on NAVI then then what the 30 series had because at least we weren't fighting against miners. Well YET..... again bitcoin is up at 15k which is going to make a lot of people pull out resources.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@aigomorla

Nobody's gonna mine BTC on video cards. ETH, sure. And maybe some other coins that they'll convert to BTC using tools designed to work that way. If BTC is leading a broader market charge upwards, then yes, the miners will be snapping up these cards.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
@aigomorla

Nobody's gonna mine BTC on video cards. ETH, sure. And maybe some other coins that they'll convert to BTC using tools designed to work that way. If BTC is leading a broader market charge upwards, then yes, the miners will be snapping up these cards.
Looking at thge price target that BTC is going right now, it may very well be very profitable to still mine BTC on GPUs.

I hope this made your day, today! :D

shinjuku

Nov 5, 2020
Assuming one has purchased a first class ticket to the hype train,

How does one actually go about successfully purchasing one of these cards on November 18th?

As far as I can tell there is nothing like EVGAs queue system on the AMD side, and I have no idea what time the retailers will post them to their websites. ASUS has said they expect to be sold out in minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ps: asking for a friend ;)

I managed to order 3070 at best buy. I was already logged on to my computer, at 550 am in the west coast. i had newegg and bestbuy tabs open. newegg sold out fast for the 3070 by 6 am. best buy didnt list theirs until 3-5 minutes 6 am. But I just kept refreshing until i saw the add to cart option.

best buy implemented some updates and features on their site to help lower the number of items that scalpers will buy at once. they release inventory every few minutes. so i had to kept checking. but i managed to snag one at 610 am. so i think you're best bet is bestbuy (first choice), then the AMD website, and newegg.

I wanted to get the AMD 5000 card to go with my 3070, but i didnt wake up early enough thinking there was gonna be plenty in stock by 630 am when i finaly woke up. man i was so wrong.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Bitcoin could hit $1M/BTC and it likely still wouldn't make sense to mine on GPUs. Alt coin price generally tracks with Bitcoin price though, so if the GPU minable coins start going up as well it could be trouble.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Bitcoin could hit $1M/BTC and it likely still wouldn't make sense to mine on GPUs. Alt coin price generally tracks with Bitcoin price though, so if the GPU minable coins start going up as well it could be trouble.
Its not a matter of "If". Its a matter of "when".

Reactions: ozzy702

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I (perhaps not so publically) speculated that these new "Big Navi" cards would be really great Crypto-miner cards. Navi10 is already one of the best cards for MH/sec per watt, or whatever the proper metric is. (I own several now.) In fact, some miners have speculated on YT, that it may be (with a certain incoming price decrease on existing RX 5600XT and RX 5700XT stock), better, if you're not pressed for density, to buy two RX 5600XT or RX 5700XT cards, and mine with both of them (at reduced power settings, obviously).

RX 5700XT can do 50+MH/sec on 110-130W (or less), so if RX 6800XT can do 100MH/sec, on 280W or so (at reduced power), then honestly, they're both somewhat equivalent in terms of hashrate/watt, so assuming prices line up OK, and availability is better, it's kind of an either/or situation.

For gaming, obviously, the RX 6800XT would be a better choice.