AMD 6000 reviews thread

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, even the number 3 card has 16GB VRAM and is faster than the 2080TI. And the $1000 6900XT matches the $1500 3090 in performance.

The 3000 parts don't look so hot now.

Post reviews edit:
It's astonishing what AMD have managed to achieve with both the Ryzen 5000 and the Radeon 6000, especially given the absolutely minuscule R&D budget and resources compared to nVidia/Intel. Lisa Su is definitely the "Steve Jobs" of AMD with such a remarkable turnaround.

6900XT:
(It's absolutely amazing to see AMD compete with the 3090)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
I get people being disappointed with the availability, but honestly I hope its because AMD has been putting wafers towards the mid-range GPUs and new APUs. That's going to give them the biggest consumer boost, and especially if they can get them into laptops with the new Zen 3 APUs. Getting OEMs to quickly move the 4800H/x060 systems to 5800U/H with RDNA2 mid-range chips (offering about 2070 performance) would be pretty huge. I'm seeing a lot of people so won over by the 4000 series mobile chips, now AMD needs to capitalize on that to win people back over on their GPUs as well.

Reactions: prtskg

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
The RX 6800 I ordered (Gigabyte RX6800) was delivered yesterday and I installed it in my rig that has a 3900x/X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite mb.

I previously had a Radeon 5600XT. WOW is this card fast! It will go into my 5900x rig (MSI X570 Unify custom watercooled cpu and gpu) when the Waterblock from Alphacool is delivered.

The stock 3 fan cooler is really beautiful and works well.

It is faster than my GTX 2080TI and rock solid.

Excited to pair it with the 5900x and do some serious MSFA 2020!

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you Shmee. That is high praise from a person rockin a 3090 FTW 3 Ultra!

Once I get my water loop on the 5900x reworked it would be fun to compare your 5800x/3090 FTW to my 5900x/ RX 6800 in a series of Benchmarks.

I'm running 32g (2x16) of Gskill DDR4-3600 Trident Neo CL16-19-19-39 ram with a MSI X570 Unify mb and a sabrent 1TB NvME-4 ssd. I will have both the cpu and the gpu custom watercooled (Optimus wb for cpu and Alphacool wb for gpu) 480mm and 360 mm rads. All housed in a Fractal Define 7XL (HUGE).

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The RX 6800 I ordered (Gigabyte RX6800) was delivered yesterday and I installed it in my rig that has a 3900x/X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite mb.

I previously had a Radeon 5600XT. WOW is this card fast! It will go into my 5900x rig (MSI X570 Unify custom watercooled cpu and gpu) when the Waterblock from Alphacool is delivered.

The stock 3 fan cooler is really beautiful and works well.

It is faster than my GTX 2080TI and rock solid.

Excited to pair it with the 5900x and do some serious MSFA 2020!

Where did you order it from?

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
My EK waterblock and backplate came today (Thank you for the quick shipment Performance PC!). I has originally ordered the Alphacool block but it still hasn't arrived at PPC so I canceled that and went with the EK block and backplate.

Of course I'm running the 6800, not the 6800XT or 6900 BUT with stock cooling max gpu temp was 78-79 and hotspot was 95. With the EK block and backplate max temp was 53 and hotspot 63.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My EK waterblock and backplate came today (Thank you for the quick shipment Performance PC!). I has originally ordered the Alphacool block but it still hasn't arrived at PPC so I canceled that and went with the EK block and backplate.

Of course I'm running the 6800, not the 6800XT or 6900 BUT with stock cooling max gpu temp was 78-79 and hotspot was 95. With the EK block and backplate max temp was 53 and hotspot 63.

Nice drop in temps!

What clocks do you run on your card?
What were you running with your temp examples?

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
RX 6800 with EK waterblock OCs very nicely. Some examples:

Firestrike 33552 (max boost 2293 base 1815) and overclocked 35541 (max boost 2589 and base 1815)

Firestrike Ultra stock 10693 (max boost 2316 base 1815 Mhz) and Overclocked 11600 (max boost 2576 and base 1815).

Time Spy Extreme stock 7319 (max boosty 2298 and base 1815) and overclocked 7875 (Max boost 2573 and base 1815).

In the Radeon software under performance I overclocked by7 setting it to manual, increasing max to 2600 and setting power limit to max. Didn't fool with memory.

Last edited:

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
What a load of bollocks, have the character to admit it was a decent launch. Not long ago you were 100% sure the previous demo GPU was their flagship. Turns out it wasn't, the AMD of today is clearly adapting past your expectations.
I expect the rx6900xt to be on par or slightly faster than the rtx 3080 once REAL reviews comes out, perhaps 1 or 2% faster, the rtx3080 is 10% slower when compared to the rtx3090

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Here's a list of recently released PC games. Go ahead and look through to see what percentage of them require any kind of high end hardware but don't support DX12/Vulkan.
And among those that do need higher-end hardware and are quite popular but still use DX11 a Vega 64 is barely faster than a 980Ti. Case in point, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Ghostrunner and Mafia Definitive Edition.

So my point still stands - that AMD does nothing to optimize DX11 performance barring a select few big-name titles.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So what? There are always modern titles that run better on one architecture or another due to sponsorship or optimizations being done for those games. Normally we tell people who really care about performance in one specific title to go with the company that gets the best performance in that particular title even if it's not the best choice overall.
Why are you moving goal-posts? We were talking about the validity of the (your) assumption that old titles always run better than new titles. Why are you now talking about modern titles?
So what? There aren't very many of those games being made so it's not worth optimizing for and it isn't as though Black Mesa looks particularly good (outside of comparing it to the older games in the franchise) so bumping up the resolution doesn't add a lot.
It's about expectations. If we run with your claim that old titles always run better on new hardware through sheer brute-force, regardless of optimization, then upon finding out that a new RX 6800XT is even slower than a last gen RTX 2080 Super, we end up with a situation that runs contrary to your claim. For you that's fine, but for me and many others it is not.
How do you know they are? You're the person asserting that it's important, so the burden to prove it is rests on your shoulders. If I were to make the claim that unicorns are real, I don't get to demand that you have to prove they actually aren't when you say you don't believe me.
People have backlogs of games, they wait till they have the requisite hardware to play games at the fidelity levels they want, by which time a new game becomes "old". It happens all the time among my friends' circle who play games. I'd take my experience over your improbable claims any day of the week.
No, I have no problem admitting their cards don't perform as well in older titles, which is obvious from benchmarks. I just don't think it's worth AMD's limited time to address that problem for all the reasons I previously stated. There are plenty of other reasons to prefer an Nvidia GPU such as RT performance, but if you don't think that's important either then it doesn't matter or shouldn't factor in to purchasing decisions.
Another justification for what AMD can/will/won't do. You could just accept that it is a flaw instead of rationalizing it.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
AMD will not go back and spend resources trying to optimize for old games that were badly coded to begin with. It's not worth it. If this is important to you, buy an Nvidia card and move on and stop filling the thread with the same stuff over and over.
Why are you filling the thread with justifications for AMD's lack of optimizations for older games? If it's not important to you then say so and move on.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
What are you going on about? MSRP for the reference cards is still $650, you just can't find them in stock. AMD has said they'll continue to sell reference cards through the first part of 2021.
What if i tell you a genius marketing strategy where you announce a graphics card for let's say $299 and make a total of 10 such cards to sell for that price but rest of the AIB cards will however cost $999. Technically they did make and sell 10 cards for $299 so it is real but out of stock. What do you think?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
If it's an old enough title it won't matter.
This is a terrible assumption. Just because a title is old doesn't mean that it runs better than current titles. Go look at Kingdom Come Deliverance or Watch Dogs 2, as examples of DX11 titles. I can give examples of even DX9 titles which bring modern GPUs to their knees but that'll be a digression.
You eventually reach a point where it runs it faster than the monitor can display the frames.
And that is relevant how? Why would I care about future hardware being able to break through my monitor refresh rate if current hardware underperforms?
Also, the people who don't play any of those older games at all won't lose sleep over it, just like they don't over the poor fuel economy of a car they don't own.
How do you know that those who play older games are insignificant enough to not matter?
Maybe you should contact their marketing department. I'm sure consumers would feel better if there were an "Amazing drivers for 10 year old games!" sticker on the box.

Or better yet, go tell the board at AMD that Lisa Su is doing a terrible job because there isn't better driver support for older games. I'm sure they'd love to hear about how much better AMD could be doing if only gamers who likely don't own AMD cards (I mean, if you cared about the game back in the day at all you probably grabbed an Nvidia card due to the better performance since AMD would have had these same driver problems with the game back then) could get better performance in these older games. I'm sure no one on the driver team has anything better they could be doing with their time and good shout from management will get the lazy gits sorted out.
Wow you must love AMD GPUs so much that you're willing to gloss over its flaws. There is a word for that behaviour, too bad it isn't allowed to be mentioned in these forums.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Well considering the last gen Xbox API was DX11 and for nextgen it's DX12 only, I think it's pretty evident that future games on DX11 will finally start to phase out. You can't make a Xbox Series title with DX11
I'm not talking about future games, I'm talking about current games.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
You spend way too much time trash talking a product you clearly have no interest in purchasing.

You thirst for confrontation? Redacted
I can speak whatever I want. You seem to have your redacted in a twist for no apparent reason, but you're fine in justifying an inferior product in particular aspects with piss-poor arguments.

Personal insults and trolling is not allowed here.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Pretty disappointing launch from AMD as i expected, they show the rx 6900xt being on par with the rtx3090 on their own biased benchmarks and probably best case scenario, its safe to say that once reviewers got these cards it will be 10% slower, so they price them lower as always...Its a hard sell since they lack proper raytracing and dlss i would rather spend a little more and have those features...

Just remember when they showed Fury X and Radeon VII, in both cases according to AMD benchmarks they were faster than the GTX 980TI and RTX 2080 but in reality they were quite slower and they both failed miserably