Question AMD 5700G vs Intel 11600k (8-core vs 6-core)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Non-gaming machine.

6-cores, better motherboard, lower price.
or
8-cores, mediocre motherboard, slightly higher price.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
People talking about usings monster cpus for video playback options and here im with just a J4105 as a HTPC :/
Thank you, that was my entire point.

The opposite experience would be droppped frames on Firefox. As @Tup3x said, once this thread got started I also took a look at AV1 software-based decoding on FF and Chrome on my system, and while Chrome resource usage is indeed lower, it will occasionally drop frames.
That was my experience with Chrome and both APUs. But it is important to note, I could not see any difference in the video. If SFN was not open, I would not have known there were dropped frames. And even the 5600G only dropped a total of less than one second of video at 60fps, over 16 minutes of play.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Using Firefox that video is AV1 and even the 5K version uses less than 20% of CPU on my system. When using Edge (obviously applies to Chrome too) there's constant frame drops even with hardware acceleration. Actually, hardware video decoding at least on YouTube seems to be really poor in Chromium browser with NVIDIA hardware... Constant frame dropping, stutter and freezes (even low resolution content). It's just riddled with bugs and sometimes causes even NVIDIA driver to crash. CPU usage is low and video decoder has still headroom.

Firefox unfortunately doesn't support hardware AV1 decoding yet.

Yes, Chrome drops more frames with AV1 playback. But not much more vs Firefox, in my example with my hardware without AV1 suport.

Intresting this is Chrome, and this ultrawidescrean resolution AV1/24fps video.

Unexpectedly, fairly low CPU usage hm i did not expect that.
Obviously this is not a 4k resolution, but again very low CPU usage for this AV1 video.

2021-11-27_150620.jpg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The Intel 11600K CPU has vastly superior encode and decode abilities compared to the 5700G and might even make the Quadros obsolete in that vein, even if both of them can handle it via brute force.

OP didn’t say he was hosting a Plex server for all his friends and relatives for all the pirates netflix content he torrents, but maybe that’s a normal workload for him 😂
While I am only starting down this rabbit hole; it is fascinating reading, lets continue this, bro.

You say it has vastly superior encode and decode abilities . I think that is hyperbole, but lets see. Point out on this list I will link below, for VCN 2.0, besides AV1 support, what UHD 750 does that the Cezanne does not. Or of course, which check boxes it checks that are not even on that list, that are of significance. Or what it does vastly better that is common between them.

Software support is another matter all together. And I surmise that will come, for most currently lacking it, considering how popular Ryzen APUs have become the last 2yrs. That user base cannot be ignored for much longer, even by PLEX. Though I read employee responses that state it is a technical issue with the support. And that because of how NVENC dominates their client base, there was little incentive to expend resources on it. We will see as more and more use Ryzen APUs for the builds, if that changes. Seems like APU owners are already being fairly vocal about it on their forums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder#Format_support

And it seems the shady stuff you observed about pirating, something I adamantly oppose, is the most likely scenario where a home users would need support for more than a handful of concurrent users. Obviously there are always outliers, but at that point, why should anyone care, other than that tiny demographic?

I have a lot of reading to do. And once again, I appreciate your time and effort. The anecdote about the old quad cores for instance, is completely outdated compared to modern 12+ thread. Everything about these new Intel and AMD CPUs is much better than say, a Haswell or its refresh.

Reactions: Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Another thing I read - It seems quite a few running PLEX servers use UNRAID. 11th gen is still having issues with UNRAID support, and was entirely unsupported as recently as April. NO BFD, only pointing out it is not all sunshine and daisies with UHD either. When I was into encode and decode BITD, it was always a constantly evolving race between hardware and software support. Seems nothing has changed. Accept for the fact that for how most of us consume media, any modern 8 thread+ CPU can easily power through it without any help. Where as BITD, it was a bad time, if most CPUs we used, had to decode HD.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I've been trying to solve this by really looking at better motherboards for AMD. The unify is GREAT but the price is not great.
Buy the CPU while the prices are right. But if the build is not a rush, do what I did and scout our trade forum. As mentioned, picked up a $200ish Z490 and X570 boards for a $100 shipped each. Both had WIFI too. I don't use it, but it does add value.

That 11400 is a great deal though. If you are not planning to ever upgrade CPUs, I'd buy it. Then you can afford whatever board features you are after thanks to the $40 savings over the K. It will met your low heat output requirements too.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
what's strange though is that it also drops tons of frames while playing back vp9, at least on my system.
As far as I can tell, that behavior is somehow specific to your system.

Here's the same clip being played back in FF 94. On the left we have software decoding on i7 8700 & Vega 56, on the right hardware decoding on Intel UHD 630 (video output is still via Vega 56, I just forced the browser to use the iGPU).
vp9-ff-decode.png

But it is important to note, I could not see any difference in the video. If SFN was not open, I would not have known there were dropped frames.
I could not see any difference either, but at this point we're discussing the benefits of lower resource utilization in Chrome, so I guess dropped frames become relevant when nitpicking.

As a fun fact, up until this thread I never even realized I don't have hardware decode on YouTube anymore. That should go to show just how important for user experience is video hardware decoding on mainstream 6c/12t CPUs and higher.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Yes, Firefox does indeed use more resources when forcing av1 to use the CPU even though dropped frames is low; what's strange though is that it also drops tons of frames while playing back vp9, at least on my system.

With AV1:

View attachment 53445

With VP9:

View attachment 53446

With Edge however I can play two concurrent 4k av1 streams without any performance issues.
Ever since VP9 hardware decoding was first introduced in Firefox it had frame drops and stutter that h264 decoding did not have. There's something weird going on with the implementation.

Depending on hardware your mileage may vary. NVIDIA have had quite a bit of Chromium issues. Like when you play YouTube video, scrolling is laggy and frames start to drop. There was also image flickering issues that they just fixed in latest hotfix driver. I think the problem is not the hardware decoding but some kind of GPU rendering related bug. I mean, obviously everything is butter smooth outside browser...

Jul 27, 2020
Whenever I try to maximize the videos on Steam game pages, they freeze for several seconds before playing normally. I used to think that this issue was Steam related but all the systems I've used for gaming had nVidia GPUs. Hmmm...since Steam uses webkit (same as Chrome), I think Tup3x just identified the cause for the issue that has long bugged me.