Question AMD 3950x High temps?

TheSwashbuckler

Feb 6, 2020
Hi, I seem to have on average about 60-66 celcius of CPU temp. I am assuming this is way too high and am wondering what might be causing it? I was thinking of taking the case off, taking off the CPU cooler and re-applying thermal with Artice MX-2 but will only if it's the issue

SETUP
Case : Define R6
Motherboard : Asrock Taichi 570
CPU : ryzen 9 3950x
RAM : Corsair 32gb 3600
PSU: Seasonic Ultra Prime Platinum 80w
SSD : Samsung 500gb Pro 2
Sec HDD: Seagate Hybrid 1tb
CPU Fan: Noctua D15 CPU Cooler

Thermal paste usage : Noctua one that came with my CPU cooler....applied with the pea technique. I do have some Artic MX-2 but didn't use that. Should I?

It was very hot the other day (meaning outside my house) but I had the aircon and about the same temp it normally is inside, but the CPU was running at 78-82c

Attached screens for your reference and I average about 5-7% cpu usage.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.png
    2.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 48

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
Yet another high ryzen temps post from a beginner with a fresh account. I am beginning to suspect Intel SEO tricks but I am paranoid :p

I'd begin by reseating the cooler, checking for the unremoved sticker, and updating the BIOS. Last one usually does the charm

TheSwashbuckler

Feb 6, 2020
Yet another high ryzen temps post from a beginner with a fresh account. I am beginning to suspect Intel SEO tricks but I am paranoid :p

I'd begin by reseating the cooler, checking for the unremoved sticker, and updating the BIOS. Last one usually does the charm
Thanks for the reply.

I am on the latest 2.70 already when I first installed the system.

The sticker I don't believe I have needed to remove anything on where I applied the thermo as I don't recall see any sticker? Just looks like a screen print on the CPU as per below image

If it is nothing else then I will need to do as you said ten, to reseating the cooler

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
....applied with the pea technique.

The chiplets on the 3000 series chips extend nearly to the corners of the IHS. The "pea" method of thermal paste can be insufficient to completely cover hotspots, leading to inefficient thermal transfer (and higher temps).

Using a credit card or other tool to apply a thin layer across the entirety of the IHS, or applying additional "peas" of TIM to the areas with each chiplet + IO die may lead to better results. YMMV.

For reference my LOAD temps at stock are better than your IDLE temperatures, so my money is on inadequate TIM usage. Though to be fair I am using water cooling so my temperatures overall should be lower.

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
As mentioned above not only you probably misapplied thermal grease, there's another equally important issue about Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

They have a lot higher heat density than any previously released CPUs due to the transistors and distances between them being a lot smaller which means that in many cases your CPU will have a higher temperature when just one or two CPU cores are loaded (the highest heat density due to the highest clocks and voltages), vs when all cores are active due to thermal limits:
3950X%20Power.png

artem s. tashkinov

Also make sure you've read this explanation.

Reactions: TheSwashbuckler

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I just had in my hands a 3900X with a Gigabyte ATC800 cooler, no matter what i did with the themal paste the cpu gets to 90°C on OCCT power test no AVX, somehow no AVX rises temps a little faster and more than AVX2.

There was really nothing i could do about it, i think some coolers are just inadequate for these Ryzens due to CCX placement.

TheSwashbuckler

Feb 6, 2020
The chiplets on the 3000 series chips extend nearly to the corners of the IHS. The "pea" method of thermal paste can be insufficient to completely cover hotspots, leading to inefficient thermal transfer (and higher temps).

Using a credit card or other tool to apply a thin layer across the entirety of the IHS, or applying additional "peas" of TIM to the areas with each chiplet + IO die may lead to better results. YMMV.

For reference my LOAD temps at stock are better than your IDLE temperatures, so my money is on inadequate TIM usage. Though to be fair I am using water cooling so my temperatures overall should be lower.
Thanks I will give this a try on the weekend

TheSwashbuckler

Feb 6, 2020
Shouldn't you be using a AIO or water on this.

I don't see any air coolers on AMD's site

And secondary question what do you primarily do on this pc?
I was advised that this should be fine and I have seen other users on the same config. I'd say it's just needing different thermal application but we will see after I re-apply. But if I cannot solve that I will look at those options for sure, thanks for showing me that as I had not seen it

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Also of note: The 3950x will run hot with even a AIO. Anything below 90c under full load is acceptable, but 85c is my limit.

Edit. And @IEC is correct. I use my finger, and make the layer as thin as possible, but covered. The I use the isopropyl to clean my finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Thermal grizzly gives the option to do an X on your cpu with thermal paste. I did this method and locked the HSF in place then undid it and can confirm it works well for spreading the paste.

Reactions: Ajay

Momonishiki

May 26, 2019
Also of note: The 3950x will run hot with even a AIO. Anything below 90c under full load is acceptable, but 85c is my limit.

Edit. And @IEC is correct. I use my finger, and make the layer as thin as possible, but covered. The I use the isopropyl to clean my finger.

My 3950x barely hits 70c under prolonged Handbrake projects. I am using an NH-U12S in a case with a lot of airflow and have tuned memory but everything else at stock. However, I keep my room at 20c or below because I don't like to be in warm rooms!

Reactions: Cata40

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Thermal grizzly gives the option to do an X on your cpu with thermal paste. I did this method and locked the HSF in place then undid it and can confirm it works well for spreading the paste.
Almost bought this, but have PK-1 and NT-H1, so I felt too guilty to do so. I used a line instead of a dot, that seems to have worked fine.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I was referring to what the task manager; using 7-10% sorry. This is incorrect way?

Thanks.
I was referring to what the task manager; using 7-10% sorry. This is incorrect way?

Thanks.
No, that's fine. I guess, aside from a possible bad HSF mount, the other issue could be case air flow. I use the back fan of my case to blow directly into the the back fan on the D15 - this assures that I have cool ambient air blowing into the HSF.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
61C in your screen shot in the bios would seem to indicate a contact issue between your CPU and the plate of your cooler, or extremely minimal air flow through the case that allows heat to build up in the case over time.

The way you'd be able to differentiate between these two things is if you, for example, left the computer off over night and turned it on and went straight into the bios and if it was reading 61C within a couple minutes, it's almost definitely the contact between the CPU and the cooler. If it takes longer than that to hit 61C, it's probably poor airflow in the case.

LIVEFRMNYC

Apr 1, 2020
Changing the power plan under Windows brought my temps down. By default it was set to "AMD Ryzen High Performance" and stay clocked around 4.7 even when idle which had me in the mid 60s idle.

I switched it to "Balanced" and changed a couple of unrelated options. Now it's all good and boosts up to 4.7 only when necessary. Now I'm at the high 30s low 40s idle. Temps don't even go past 70 while running OCCT test.

power.JPG

Reactions: Markfw

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Changing the power plan under Windows brought my temps down. By default it was set to "AMD Ryzen High Performance" and stay clocked around 4.7 even when idle which had me in the mid 60s idle.

I switched it to "Balanced" and changed a couple of unrelated options. Now it's all good and boosts up to 4.7 only when necessary. Now I'm at the high 30s low 40s idle. Temps don't even go past 70 while running OCCT test.

View attachment 19085
i haven't had those AMD power plans for a little while, i believe after a certain windows update. Can others confirm?

If i'm wrong here, how do i get them back and are they even useful?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
i have an 3950x with x570 msi meg, and Evga 280 aio cooler. In idle i have 45-50, and in full load , 63 degrees with handbrake. i use 1usmus power plan, ryzen power plane, is the same. depend on windows, how it is. work fine to me. I put the broth and it works perfectly