Amazon Prime Day(s) 2019

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Keep an eye on prices of items in your wish lists. I've seen Amazon raise a price a couple weeks in advance, then drop it to original level for Prime Day, and pretend you're getting a hot deal for a limited time. Yeah, you, lucky dog Prime member, pay the price everyone paid 3 weeks ago.

(Monitor prices any way you wish. Wish lists just facilitate monitoring.)

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Amazon day is always a disappointment. There are only a few genuinely amazing deals but they're so poorly stocked that they sell out basically instantly. If you aren't botting, you're probably getting taken for a ride.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Amazon day is always a disappointment. There are only a few genuinely amazing deals but they're so poorly stocked that they sell out basically instantly. If you aren't botting, you're probably getting taken for a ride.

Sadly this had been my experience as well. :confused:

Really until I can afford to build a new gaming PC the only thing I'm really interested in is an upgraded Chromecast but I have serious doubts that's going to happen.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
2 years of kindle unlimited is $143 now. It's a good way to read a lot of authors that you normally wouldn't.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Keep an eye on prices of items in your wish lists. I've seen Amazon raise a price a couple weeks in advance, then drop it to original level for Prime Day, and pretend you're getting a hot deal for a limited time. Yeah, you, lucky dog Prime member, pay the price everyone paid 3 weeks ago.

this is why https://camelcamelcamel.com/ is worth its weight in gold if you purchase alot from amazon.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hoping for a good deal on a Kindle paperwhite.
I dunno for sure but I'd guess that they'll have a decent deal on a Paperwhite. They seem to do that with their Amazon-produced stuff.

I'll check out some deals but I'm not expecting anything great. There's usually just a few actual great deals and they can sell out real quick. I guess I'm not really looking for something specific anyway. So I'll probably just browse a bit.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It wasn't the books you sent. It was all the....items in the packages that arrived from you after
I think we have another member that's the newest recipient of ....gifts.

Damn, I'm generous. One of you effers if getting 55 gallons....

:p

Hey, where's shorty? Coronary or hooters parking lot?

edit: @DigDog

Last edited:
Reactions: footballrunner800

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

Always check camelx3 first...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hoping for a good deal on a Kindle paperwhite.
Such a great device it's mind blowing, so much better than my previous Kindle. What they make their money on is the content. Most of my Kindle paperwhite library is free stuff. Search for "free Kindle books." They send me emails all the time. I had my pick of I think literally hundreds of books. I have so many I haven't read that I don't bother to look for more these days. Most of the emails in the titles tout romances and I'm not interested in those.

Reactions: pete6032

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Such a great device it's mind blowing, so much better than my previous Kindle. What they make their money on is the content. Most of my Kindle paperwhite library is free stuff. Search for "free Kindle books." They send me emails all the time. I had my pick of I think literally hundreds of books. I have so many I haven't read that I don't bother to look for more these days. Most of the emails in the titles tout romances and I'm not interested in those.
There's Project Gutenberg as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There's Project Gutenberg as well.
True, IIRC free Kindle downloads. I've done a few of those from Project Gutenberg, I think. You can also put your own files on your Kindle, PDFs for one. One of the great inventions for sure. Battery life on the Paperwhite is fantastic!

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
this is why https://camelcamelcamel.com/ is worth its weight in gold if you purchase alot from amazon.
I'm under the impression that site is owned by Amazon. I have a hard time believing Amazon is THAT transparent about pricing history. While I've been known to rarely check it, and give it the benefit of the doubt, I don't consider the graphs as ... how to put this ... authoritative evidence of price fluctuation.
I'd be more comfortable if Amazon was at odds with the site's owners. heheh

Feel free to reassure me all you want.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm under the impression that site is owned by Amazon. I have a hard time believing Amazon is THAT transparent about pricing history. While I've been known to rarely check it, and give it the benefit of the doubt, I don't consider the graphs as ... how to put this ... authoritative evidence of price fluctuation.

I dont see how amazon has to be transparent about anything, if you scrape the site daily or even hourly to record price data they you are creating your own dataset you dont need amazon to do anything for you.

Also, if they were relying on amazon for historical prices then when their server crashed a few months back they would have been back up alot sooner with prices but as it was it took them over a month to fully restore the backups and get the pricing data back, most things on their site had no historical pricing for weeks-month after the crash.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I'm curious where you developed that impression.
I've used it quite a lot, and don't believe I've ever noted any discrepancies.