Amazon Prime Day(s) 2019

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If you need any kind of Microsoft licenses, MyChoiceSoftware is having a 10% off sale (excluding Open Licenses & 365 products) today. They are my preferred software vendor for Microsoft products:

https://www.mychoicesoftware.com/

Windows Server versions are also on sale for 15% off!

coupon.jpg

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Some deals:

Fire TV Stick with Alexa for $14.99
Amazon Echo will cost $49.99
Echo Show, its smart speaker with a screen and premium speakers. That will cost $159.99 — $70 off its current list price of $229.99.
Fire TV Cube for $69.99. That's $50 less than its current price of $119.99.
Fire HD 10, will cost $99.99
some Sony LED Smart TVs will be half off
Facebook's Portal device will cost $79 (It usually runs for $199)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/tech/amazon-prime-day-deals-trnd/index.html

All of the Amazon Echo and Fire products go on sale at these prices pretty much monthly.

Nov 8, 2012
Looking like a big nothing-burger here =/ Not seeing much if anything

Everyone already has their fire stick equivalent and their alexa equivalent.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Pretty annoyed at how they keep spamming their Fire and Echo products all the time. If people don't have one by now, they probably don't want one...
I didn't have an HD10 until March (when it was on sale for the same price) since I didn't have a purpose for one. So they can catch stragglers.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone see anything about 6% today for using your Amazon Prime card on Amazon?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Anyone see anything about 6% today for using your Amazon Prime card on Amazon?

Yes it's plastered everywhere. What about it? Time will tell if we get the 6% (as opposed to 5%). No big deal...

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
waste king L-8000 is 30% off its regular price. not a bad deal for a 1 hp garbage disposer. I picked it up to use for grinding apples when we start making cider in the fall.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
If you need any kind of Microsoft licenses, MyChoiceSoftware is having a 10% off sale (excluding Open Licenses & 365 products) today. They are my preferred software vendor for Microsoft products:

https://www.mychoicesoftware.com/

Windows Server versions are also on sale for 15% off!

Always been tempted to buy a WIN10 license for like $5 on ebay. Usually leftovers from people who have too many. Any downside to those?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...438408?hash=item3b32dd5c88:g:IKYAAOSwRcVc-hSc

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Always been tempted to buy a WIN10 license for like $5 on ebay. Usually leftovers from people who have too many. Any downside to those?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...438408?hash=item3b32dd5c88:g:IKYAAOSwRcVc-hSc

You have to be careful about those kind of keys. At that price I doubt they're considered real by MS. Most likely they're either Volume Keys or ones that came from machines that are being covered by some site license... or worse they're just plain fake. MS doesn't consider any of this in line with their licensing so there is a massive risk that it'll either just not work, or it'll be killed by MS at some point in the future. It might work but I doubt it'll survive the lifetime of the key. I also really doubt that if you run into issues and have to deal with MS (unlikely i know) you'll be turned away. For $5 it might be worth it to you to roll the dice, but just don't kid yourself.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

If it registers (hey, five bucks right?), then once your computer is activated online, you'll always have that digital entitlement on your hardware no matter how many times you reinstall. I forget the exact mechanics, but it's like a composite UUID scan...so each device has a universal unique identifer code, which is like a fingerprint, and then Microsoft takes a handprint capture of all of the fingerprints, and then registers you device in the cloud, so that whenever you reinstall Win10, you can just click "I don't have a license key" during installation.

I don't know how they're selling it that cheap, as MyChoiceSoftware is a Microsoft partner & has some of the lowest prices I've been able to (legitimately) find, so it could be a leftover key or some other trick. FWIW, if you have Win7 or Win8, the official free upgrade still works - I just did one a couple days ago:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-on-the-last-day.2532532/page-2#post-39867023

Some people have gotten creative & done things (i.e. illegal) like mod their BIOS or use a piece of boot activation software that emulates a SLIC with like a Dell-branded SLIC so that Windows automatically activates it, assuming it's like a manufacturer-bulk volume license for pre-configured machines, and once that's up & running, then can do a fresh install. With the Win7/8 upgrade method, that procedure gives you a digital entitlement, so that it's a cloud-registered Windows 10 key that automatically activates after a fresh install because it sends your composite ID "handprint" up to Microsoft, so it's official & stays official. And also, that's why you sometimes have to re-register your PC if you swap out too many parts, because the upgrades lose the ID's that create that handprint ID that Microsoft grabs.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow I actually bought something on Prime Day.

Decided to get their new Echo Show 5 for $49.99 to replace my Echo Dot on my nightstand. I was just gonna try and sell the Dot via LetGo/OfferUp but as I was about to add the Show to my cart, I saw you could trade-in Echo devices directly to Amazon. You get up to $30 off and I got another $22.50 trade-in value, I believe.

Anyway, for the Echo Show 5 and another random $7.99 item in my cart, the order total was $7.13. Not too shabby!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You have to be careful about those kind of keys. At that price I doubt they're considered real by MS. Most likely they're either Volume Keys or ones that came from machines that are being covered by some site license... or worse they're just plain fake. MS doesn't consider any of this in line with their licensing so there is a massive risk that it'll either just not work, or it'll be killed by MS at some point in the future. It might work but I doubt it'll survive the lifetime of the key. I also really doubt that if you run into issues and have to deal with MS (unlikely i know) you'll be turned away. For $5 it might be worth it to you to roll the dice, but just don't kid yourself.

Yeah, I'd say if you're going to roll the dice, get a Windows 7 key for five bucks instead. This way:

1. You install Windows 7
2. You activate Win7 (assuming it works)
3. You do the free upgrade to Windows 10 directly from Microsoft (direct download link here, run from the desktop)
4. This gives you a digital entitlement license, which is basically where Microsoft stores your system's hardware's unique fingerprint rather than giving you a specific written-out key, so it's more or a less a "permanent" license key - rather than a local key that you type in, which could potentially be cancelled down the road, like if the Win10 key is a stolen academic or enterprise bulk volume license key & they blacklist it

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I'd say if you're going to roll the dice, get a Windows 7 key for five bucks instead. This way:

1. You install Windows 7
2. You activate Win7 (assuming it works)
3. You do the free upgrade to Windows 10 directly from Microsoft (direct download link here, run from the desktop)
4. This gives you a digital entitlement license, which is basically where Microsoft stores your system's hardware's unique fingerprint rather than giving you a specific written-out key, so it's more or a less a "permanent" license key - rather than a local key that you type in, which could potentially be cancelled down the road, like if the Win10 key is a stolen academic or enterprise bulk volume license key & they blacklist it
Maybe I ought to do that, funny the person in that other thread was looking at upgrading a Q6600, I have a ten year old Q6600 that's still on Vista. I only use it for a few things, but I do still use it sometimes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, to get in on this I need a trial Prime membership, right?

Eh, can't think of anything I need.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Maybe I ought to do that, funny the person in that other thread was looking at upgrading a Q6600, I have a ten year old Q6600 that's still on Vista. I only use it for a few things, but I do still use it sometimes.

Yeah I'd say:

1. Buy a $5 Win7 64-bit Pro key
2. Install it on your board along with a network driver
3. Activate it
4. Run the Win10 upgrade tool & make sure that gets activated once you get to the Win10 desktop
5. Good for life!

tbh if you have a Q6600, at least 8 gigs of RAM (recommend 16 gigs these days, browsers are hogs!), and an SSD ($50 for a basic one on Amazon)...that computer should easily last a few more years, especially if you have a halfway decent dedicated video card with at least a gig of RAM. I just put my old 1GB 8400GS in my buddy's aging comp & did the Win10 upgrade for him yesterday, along with dual monitors, worked like a champ!