Amazing Homeschooling success story

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
You sound bitter, did you get robbed of a childhood?

Anyways, if you read the article it sounds like they werent held back doing things outside of home schooling.

not at all, I had a great one and wouldn't trade it for the world (which is my point).

do you really think they ever got the same level and type of social interactions as their peers who went to a normal school (public or private) at a normal pace?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
maaan those kids must have had some boring ass childhoods... I would not trade all the fun I had and am still having in college for fast tracking my education. They all either missed out on the greatest years of their lives or are about to.

What a sad defeatist attitude. For example:

His sister Hannah, 25, is now designing spacecraft as a mechanical engineer and holds a masters degrees in math and computer science.

Who is to say that young woman doesn't have a bright and fulfilling future? Plenty of men out there who'd love to be supported by a rocket scientist.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
What a sad defeatist attitude. For example:

Who is to say that young woman doesn't have a bright and fulfilling future? Plenty of men out there who'd love to be supported by a rocket scientist.

I never said she wasn't going to have a fulfilling future (to her) but do you really think all the things we go through growing up are irrelevant. Because I can assure you she missed out on a fuckload of those.

May 16, 2000
.... and as they become millionaires and pay their college debts off quickly, they'll have the money to do whatever the F they want while you're making your 71st loan payment.

I would've traded the mindless sex and endless drinking to start a career early in life :)

Funny...was just thinking that I'd trade any career for some mindless sex and endless drinking.

Priorities. :cool:

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I want to know what the dad does, that his wife can afford to stay at home and do all that teaching.

May 16, 2000
I want to know what the dad does, that his wife can afford to stay at home and do all that teaching.

ANYONE can do that (maybe not as successfully as this family, but can always manage). It's all about choices.

Probably the biggest issue in modern society is two-income households. It needs to be eradicated, at least in homes with children.

Money doesn't matter. The home does. Accept a $25k/yr lifestyle and focus on the important stuff. Everyone will be infinitely better off.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
not at all, I had a great one and wouldn't trade it for the world (which is my point).

do you really think they ever got the same level and type of social interactions as their peers who went to a normal school (public or private) at a normal pace?

According to this article I have no reason to believe they didnt interact with friends or participate in activities like children going to a public school. But unlike what you look down upon. They werent held back by our public education system. Can you imagine children this gifted having to sit in an 8th grade class going through Algebra I for the 2nd year in a row?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I never said she wasn't going to have a fulfilling future (to her) but do you really think all the things we go through growing up are irrelevant. Because I can assure you she missed out on a fuckload of those.

I submit that whatever they might have missed wasn't necessary.

People make it sound like being different should be a crime, something to protect their children from. I don't agree.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
According to this article I have no reason to believe they didnt interact with friends or participate in activities like children going to a public school. But unlike what you look down upon. They werent held back by our public education system. Can you imagine children this gifted having to sit in an 8th grade class going through Algebra I for the 2nd year in a row?

Perhaps they aren't gifted. Maybe they are just what ordinary people can do who grow up with parents that do a very minimum of emotional damage. Maybe this is totally within the realm of what is possible for happy people. I believe that learning is what the human machine was made for. It's love of learning that is one of the big casualties of self hate.

I read an interesting bit of research recently on how to help kids, don't tell them how smart and talented they are, but allow them to fail and get up again, to enjoy hard challenges. Nobody is ever in trouble who goes straight ahead.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Because it's wrong. Even Faulkner University is predominantly a law/business school, they don't bother with a natural science curriculum.

Umm okay sparky.

Faulkner University

The Alabama Christian College of Arts and Sciences provides the University the liberal arts core curriculum. The study of the liberal arts is approached through the lens of the Christian worldview and includes the study of the Bible and related courses as part of the curricular core. Apart from the baccalaureate degree in these disciplines the college also offers the general Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees.

And most states(even backwoods Alabama) have science requirements for bachelor degrees.

Faulkner is a garbage school. And their law school is even worse.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
def. predominantly: mainly; for the most part.

People don't attend Faulkner for their biology classes. They go there for pre-law, to get into a top-10 law school.

Sure they do buddy.

Going to a top 10 law school has nothing to do with where you went to undergrad. It has everything to do with GPA and LSAT.

For a school that has a total garbage law school. I seriously doubt their pre law program puts many students/gives them an edge to get into Stanford, Harvard, Yale, etc.

You still cannot dispute Faulkner is an overly religious college and that they teach their required science courses through the lens of a christian perspective.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Algebra I isnt even taught until 8th grade in most places.

Most of the smart students take pre-algebra in 7th, algebra in 8th, geometry in 9th, algebra II in 10th, trig/precalc 11, and calc I and II senior year. At least at all the school districts I went to. However, if those kids were in public school, in a decent system, they'd be in GT and/or magnet programs which would be beyond the "smart kid" track. Truely gifted/smart kids get ferreted out and get placed in better programs in most school districts.

And you lump the entire public education system together. The best high schools in the nation are all public. There are a lot of really great school districts out there. There are also a lot of bad ones, and then even more in between. Parents make the decision on where to live, if they care about education they can choose to live in a better school district and then stay involved with their children's education to make sure they get into the right programs that fit their kids capability.

Last edited:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
She should now use her fame to open a private school no joke. I wish I could go there. Education has gotten so bad, I pull all my knowledge "from the good old days" when they actually taught you how to do what they wanted you to do.

Classes are moving to a discussion format where the uninformed try to teach their uninformed classmates. Its pretty dumb. Why change what isn't broken?

Kids aren't taught cursive anymore because print more resembles computer text. Math is taught in group format in some schools as oppose to just working through problems led by the teacher and then working through similar problems for homework.

Its literally making us pretty dumb. The USA is so far behind other countries in education its getting kinda bad.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Going to a christian university in Alabama? Great success!

article-1094216-02CA1E22000005DC-983_468x343.jpg

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
She should now use her fame to open a private school no joke. I wish I could go there. Education has gotten so bad, I pull all my knowledge "from the good old days" when they actually taught you how to do what they wanted you to do.

Classes are moving to a discussion format where the uninformed try to teach their uninformed classmates. Its pretty dumb. Why change what isn't broken?

Kids aren't taught cursive anymore because print more resembles computer text. Math is taught in group format in some schools as oppose to just working through problems led by the teacher and then working through similar problems for homework.

Its literally making us pretty dumb. The USA is so far behind other countries in education its getting kinda bad.
Yeah, but it's not fair that some kids are smarter than others. It's important not to hurt anyone's feelings. Better they all be ignorant than have a single one have a teary eyed moment. It's for the children.

Under Common Core, kids don't have to have the right answer if they can explain how they got the wrong answer. Makes perfect sense. Nothing to be concerned about.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Under Common Core, kids don't have to have the right answer if they can explain how they got the wrong answer. Makes perfect sense. Nothing to be concerned about.
That is so crazy lol. Is that even real?

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Umm okay sparky.

Faulkner University

The Alabama Christian College of Arts and Sciences provides the University the liberal arts core curriculum. The study of the liberal arts is approached through the lens of the Christian worldview and includes the study of the Bible and related courses as part of the curricular core. Apart from the baccalaureate degree in these disciplines the college also offers the general Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees.

And most states(even backwoods Alabama) have science requirements for bachelor degrees.

Faulkner is a garbage school. And their law school is even worse.

Riiiight, you just described Notre Dame, SMU, TCU, and a 100 other schools in the USA. :rolleyes: If you were looking for a pre-law or business school, there are few others that have Ivy league entrance percentages as high as Faulkner, but please, continue talking out of your ass.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Sure they do buddy.

Going to a top 10 law school has nothing to do with where you went to undergrad. It has everything to do with GPA and LSAT.

For a school that has a total garbage law school. I seriously doubt their pre law program puts many students/gives them an edge to get into Stanford, Harvard, Yale, etc.

You still cannot dispute Faulkner is an overly religious college and that they teach their required science courses through the lens of a christian perspective.

Horseshit, cry some more. You don't even know what their science classes are like, you're just being another dipshit who jumps to the conclusion that they even teach creationism. Bravo. *golf clap*