Amazing Homeschooling success story

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Riiiight, you just described Notre Dame, SMU, TCU, and a 100 other schools in the USA. :rolleyes: If you were looking for a pre-law or business school, there are few others that have Ivy league entrance percentages as high as Faulkner, but please, continue talking out of your ass.

Considering they have a stupidly low graduation rate, 13% graduate with in 4 years and a 6 year rate that is just as terrible(33%), I seriously fucking doubt it. Oh and they have a 40% drop out rate to boot. To put those numbers in perspective out of a freshman class, ~91 graduate within four years, ~231 graduate with in six, ~224 transfer out, and ~280 drop out. Those are GOD AWFUL STATS.

They are signs of an extremely terrible school. So is the "one year" express BA diploma they offer.

The schools you mention above are all good schools with extremely HIGH STANDARDS, and while some are religious(SMU is not very religious, and requires ZERO course work in religion), they don't put religion above education. ND does NOT teach creationism. SMU does not teach creationism. Hell even Baylor doesn't teach creationism. Maybe Faulkner doesn't either but its a bottom of the barrel 4th tier religious institution with low standards. And I don't ever recall saying they did teach creationism, I said their professors(I never even originally mentioned biology professors either) would probably agree with their belief in creationism.

Last edited:

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
Well,while i can advocate homeschooling due to the utter BS and lack of discipline in public schools nowadays;the kids will suffer from a lack of social interaction during their formative years when homeschooled.

Nov 30, 2006
Well,while i can advocate homeschooling due to the utter BS and lack of discipline in public schools nowadays;the kids will suffer from a lack of social interaction during their formative years.
All home school kids I've meet have been bright and socially well-adjusted. The parents of homeschoolers I've seen also make sure their kids are active in team sports growing up.

I don't get why people are so down on homeschooling...they typically get a much better education and actually become an asset to society...which is becoming rarer and rarer it seems.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Well,while i can advocate homeschooling due to the utter BS and lack of discipline in public schools nowadays;the kids will suffer from a lack of social interaction during their formative years when homeschooled.

Why didn't the kids homeschool their BA and MA degrees too? Hyprocrites! I hear that higher education in the US is failing our students due to its outrageous cost and indoctrination of liberalism which leads to elitism upon conference of degree(s).

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
That's insane. At 12 I was playing Pokemon games with my friends lol. I wish I can be a kid again being an adult sucks.

Being a millennial sucks even harder.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
.... and as they become millionaires and pay their college debts off quickly, they'll have the money to do whatever the F they want while you're making your 71st loan payment.

I would've traded the mindless sex and endless drinking to start a career early in life :)

So you think money can buy back youth and childhood? How sad. :thumbsdown:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
All home school kids I've meet have been bright and socially well-adjusted. The parents of homeschoolers I've seen also make sure their kids are active in team sports growing up.

I don't get why people are so down on homeschooling...they typically get a much better education and actually become an asset to society...which is becoming rarer and rarer it seems.

The reality is the quality of homeschooling is ALL over the place. But homeschooled kids do have parents that put in atleast some effort. Where as most kids in public schools do not have parents that give a crap.

Homeschoolers like to make homeschooling the end all be all of education. It works for some, but overall it would never work for ever anything but a small minority of students. Eveb students with parents who are involved, most of those parents arent capable of homeschooling for whatever reason.

The biggest fucking problem with public education is you have people with ZERO education backgrounds running things. School boards are not full of educators, they are full of businessmen and politicians that think they know whats best. Same goes for State Boards of Education. What ends up happening is every 5 years a new fad gets pushed onto teachers.

Another reality is, urban school districts HEAVILY drag down the public education system as a whole. Fixing urban districts is next to impossible because of all the outside stuff that is a reality in an urban setting. When you have kids that are homeless, that their only food comes from school, who fail until they age out just so they have a place to go and eat food, the problem isn't education. Then you have the stigma of learning disabilities in the urban setting. Blacks and Hispanics in urban communities tend to fight against having their children tested for learning disabilities because there is a huge stigma against learning disabilities in those communities. This is something you do not see in white suburban districts.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
The reality is the quality of homeschooling is ALL over the place. But homeschooled kids do have parents that put in atleast some effort. Where as most kids in public schools do not have parents that give a crap.
Homeschooling studies consistently show superior education. And many of the parents in our public school system do give a crap. It all boils down to the parents...whether or not they personally value education. It's simple as that...the rest is just excuses.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2009/08/homeschool-effectiveness.html

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
def. predominantly: mainly; for the most part.

Reading comprehension, learns it.

Evade! lol

You said they do not bother with a natural science curriculum when their own goddamn website lists a department of "natural and physical sciences" with a Bachelor's program in Biology offered.

You were wrong and talked out of your ass. Get over yourself.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Considering they have a stupidly low graduation rate, 13% graduate with in 4 years and a 6 year rate that is just as terrible(33%), I seriously fucking doubt it. Oh and they have a 40% drop out rate to boot. To put those numbers in perspective out of a freshman class, ~91 graduate within four years, ~231 graduate with in six, ~224 transfer out, and ~280 drop out. Those are GOD AWFUL STATS.

They are signs of an extremely terrible school. So is the "one year" express BA diploma they offer.

The schools you mention above are all good schools with extremely HIGH STANDARDS, and while some are religious(SMU is not very religious, and requires ZERO course work in religion), they don't put religion above education. ND does NOT teach creationism. SMU does not teach creationism. Hell even Baylor doesn't teach creationism. Maybe Faulkner doesn't either but its a bottom of the barrel 4th tier religious institution with low standards. And I don't ever recall saying they did teach creationism, I said their professors(I never even originally mentioned biology professors either) would probably agree with their belief in creationism.

Taking religion seriously and not handling it with derision is tantamount to putting religion above education.

Nov 30, 2006
Taking religion seriously and not handling it with derision is tantamount to putting religion above education.
Wow....you can't mean that. I hope you're talking about teaching creationism...hopefully just having a little trouble articulating your thoughts.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Homeschooling studies consistently show superior education. And many of the parents in our public school system do give a crap. It all boils down to the parents...whether or not they personally value education. It's simple as that...the rest is just excuses.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2009/08/homeschool-effectiveness.html

Meh, I suspect this generation of nutty tea party loons came from a home school indoctrination....

DSF, you are very smart guy. I am surprised you would support home schooling.

These days King, 22, has a hard time stepping into a church without having a panic attack. She escaped—her word—from her family in Georgia on her 18th birthday and lives in Maine with her husband, also a former homeschooler. Very little is left of the ideology her parents worked so furiously to instill in her. She’s ashamed of the work she did as a leader in various homeschooling youth organizations, which, she writes, “contributed to the amount of hurt I and many others who grew up in this radical/evangelical/conservative/christian subculture endured and continue to endure.”

She is, however, still blogging, both on her own and as part of Homeschoolers Anonymous, a new site that publishes children of Christian homeschooling families speaking out about upbringings that, they say, have left them traumatized and unprepared for adult life. “Our primary concern is for people to be exposed to our experiences growing up in the conservative Christian homeschooling world and to see how those ideologies can create abusive situations,” says Ryan Lee Stollar, one of the site’s founders.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/a...led-kids-now-grown-blog-against-the-past.html

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Homeschooling itself is fine if the parents are dedicated and want to teach children on their own. However, when they usurp established scientific facts in favor of religious dogma I fear it does more harm than good.

But that's their prerogative.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Homeschooling itself is fine if the parents are dedicated and want to teach children on their own. However, when they usurp established scientific facts in favor of religious dogma I fear it does more harm than good.

But that's their prerogative.

Especially when the "rationale" of homeschooling their kids is precisely this usurpation.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
OK...I think I understand. But please spell it out for me as I'm a little slow at times.

Implicit or explicit inclusion or adoption of any aspect of faith based belief is necessarily undermining the purpose of education. I think it's either obvious or it isn't, probably because you disagree that it's a problem, probably because you're religious?

Nov 30, 2006
Meh, I suspect this generation of nutty tea party loons came from a home school indoctrination....

DSF, you are very smart guy. I am surprised you would support home schooling.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/a...led-kids-now-grown-blog-against-the-past.html
Why wouldn't I (or you for that matter) support homeschooling? Most every study you read places these kids well ahead of the public school system. BTW, I understand that there are "abuses" of homeschooling which mess some kids up...but, as a whole, a homeschooled student fares better socially/emotionally than publically schooled students when going to college. Overall, the outcomes are better for homeschooled students any way you slice it.

http://www.parentingscience.com/homeschooling-outcomes.html

Nov 30, 2006
Implicit or explicit inclusion or adoption of any aspect of faith based belief is necessarily undermining the purpose of education. I think it's either obvious or it isn't, probably because you disagree that it's a problem, probably because you're religious?
Please cite a few specific examples of what you're referring to. Like I said, I'm a little slow.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Why wouldn't I (or you for that matter) support homeschooling? Most every study you read places these kids well ahead of the public school system. BTW, I understand that there are "abuses" of homeschooling which mess some kids up...but, as a whole, a homeschooled student fares better socially/emotionally than publically schooled students when going to college. Overall, the outcomes are better for homeschooled students any way you slice it.

Thought this was interesting, although, as has been pointed out by others, there's more to the experience than simply performing better on standardized tests, surely? Pretty small sample size too, no?

It's also canadian. I tried looking for some information from the US institute of education sciences, but i got this message, probably due to all the now adult previous generation of homeschooled kids having voted in the tea party.

Dear Users,

Due to a lapse of appropriations and the partial shutdown of the Federal Government, the systems that host nces.ed.gov have been shut down. Services will be restored as soon as a continuing resolution to provide funding has been enacted.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Thought this was interesting, although, as has been pointed out by others, there's more to the experience than simply performing better on standardized tests, surely? Pretty small sample size too, no?

It's also canadian. I tried looking for some information from the US institute of education sciences, but i got this message, probably due to all the now adult previous generation of homeschooled kids having voted in the tea party.
The small sample size was addressed...you must have missed that part. I've looked at many studies and have yet to find one that suggests structured homeschooling is bad for kids...everything I'm seeing is neutral or positive and sometimes significantly positive.

Too bad that site is down...and it's too bad you make huge idiotic assumptions without a shred of evidence as well. But that's your problem, not mine. Let me guess...you're a public school "prodigy".

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

I support it for progressives. However, I certainly don't want conservatives indoctrinating their children with their dogma. We need to nip that diseased philosophy off at it's source.