Am I the only one? Hate games with a lot of dialogue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I haven't played that one (I have played more recent ones). Was the problem the quality of the dialog, or the fact there was dialog?

Quality of the dialogue. It was so bad that if there was an option to remove all the dialogue, this is the only game that I would consider using it.

Dialogue distracts from more meaningful time ogling digital T&A

Dude, I'm pretty sure you're older than I am :)

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
I love games with a good story and dialog. My all time favourite games had good story to them. Going all the way back to the Ultima series (Ultima iV) System Shock. Modern games like the PS4 Uncharted series. The Last of Us. Horizon Zero Dawn. PC games like Dying Light and Fallout 4. I am playing Star Wars The Old Republic again just because of the great story/class quests.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I love games with a good story and dialog. My all time favourite games had good story to them. Going all the way back to the Ultima series (Ultima iV) System Shock. Modern games like the PS4 Uncharted series. The Last of Us. Horizon Zero Dawn. PC games like Dying Light and Fallout 4. I am playing Star Wars The Old Republic again just because of the great story/class quests.

I caught that bug again 2 years ago, as well. It's really worth playing through for the story, if you haven't before, and the dialogue is great because it's purposeful. Sith Inquisitor story...probably the only good MMO story line that I have seen. Agent is good, too...but I didn't like it as much as others.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I like both. It totally depends on the quality of the story and whether I get invested in the characters or not. I mean I think I'm the only one who loves Dragon Age 2, but I just really enjoyed the stories and got into the characters. I could have played that game forever just making choices and seeing the characters interact.

KT

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I like both. It totally depends on the quality of the story and whether I get invested in the characters or not. I mean I think I'm the only one who loves Dragon Age 2, but I just really enjoyed the stories and got into the characters. I could have played that game forever just making choices and seeing the characters interact.

KT
I liked DA2, but I do feel like they did a couple odd things that distracted a little from the game. I did not like seeing the same zones over and over, with different doors blocked, and I did not like the lack of armor on party members. The story and combat was fun. I think it was more enjoyable in that way than Inquisition, as the UI made a lot more sense for a PC.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I liked DA2, but I do feel like they did a couple odd things that distracted a little from the game. I did not like seeing the same zones over and over, with different doors blocked, and I did not like the lack of armor on party members. The story and combat was fun. I think it was more enjoyable in that way than Inquisition, as the UI made a lot more sense for a PC.
I couldn't get through Inquisition. I've gone back to it a couple of times and while I enjoy aspects of the game it is a bit too open world for me. I never feel like I am making any real progress.

In DA2 I don't disagree with the fact that the dungeons were repetitive, but I didn't care as I just found them to be an obstacle I had to get through in order to progress the story and my character.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

KT

Burn the Witch! Burn him!!!!!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ummmm, we don't burn people in Canada, we just subjugate them for dozens/hundreds of years then apologize.
KT

well that actually sounds a bit more messed-up. At least with burning, it's over relatively quickly....

but I kid. I never really played DA2. Only played a couple of minutes of the intro or maybe into the first town, first dinky side quest, got bored for some reason and stopped. Don't know why. I played it after Inquisition and guess I was burned out from all things DA. I also never liked the no-armor, reviews of spammy AI and repetitive dungeons and such. Guess I just didn't want to get myself involved.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I don't mind the dialogue, but I hate when I have to make pointless decisions between what I respond with. Mass Effect Andromeda was the king of this.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I couldn't get through Inquisition. I've gone back to it a couple of times and while I enjoy aspects of the game it is a bit too open world for me. I never feel like I am making any real progress.

In DA2 I don't disagree with the fact that the dungeons were repetitive, but I didn't care as I just found them to be an obstacle I had to get through in order to progress the story and my character.

KT

I agree here. I loved DA2. As long as you ramp it up to the hardest difficulty the combat is really excellent. I also loved that basically everyone is a bad guy and both sides were mostly just full of assholes who constantly turn on each other.

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
I don't know if it is just dialog you dislike, but I dislike narratives/stories in any form in games. Especially when you can't skip them or they interrupt the game every five minutes. Give me a brief introduction to the setting and then let me play. Different strokes for different folks, but no videogame story has every engaged me. I was enjoying Far Cry 3(?) until they forced me to complete the unskippable cutscenes and walk forward sets pieces to continue opening up the island.

If the biggest praise a videogame gets is from its story then it likely isn't going to be for me. Torment gets tossed around as a great game, but take away its story and would anyone really enjoy it? Maybe it would have sold better at the time if they made it like one of those old Sierra adventure games.

If that makes me a mouthbreather then so be it. I'm not saying the stories are awful, but I don't think they're at the quality that if you'd rather not sit through them that makes you uncultured as someone seemed to imply in a previous post.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Depends on the game. Or rather, the quality of the story and voice acting. Some are interesting, some are torture.

For example, Life is Strange was great (just played recently). Great story. But the last thing I want is to sit through some stilted cut scene with crappy voice acting.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Doom 3 and Quake 4 both have a lot of cut-scenes and dialogue but I really liked those games.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Doom 3 and Quake 4 both have a lot of cut-scenes and dialogue but I really liked those games.

"a lot"? I didn't think they had any more than average. Perhaps "a lot" if the last FPS one played was something from the nineties?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
"a lot"? I didn't think they had any more than average. Perhaps "a lot" if the last FPS one played was something from the nineties?
Quake 4 does have a lot of dialogue, especially during the briefing scenes on-board the USS Hannibal. And a lot of cut-scenes, too.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I could probably count the games that I've watched the cut-scenes all the way through-even the first time played-on my hands. I consider it a lazy man's devise in order to convey the story. If it's essential to the story it should be revealed through game play.

Agreed, i remember reading about Max Payne 3 before i bought it and people said too many cut scenes and i bought it anyway thinking play for an hour and the cut scene is too long. No that game is play for 5 minutes and then have a 2-5 minute cut scene.

But for the most part i agree with the OP, story is not needed all the time as long as the game is fun. I am playing Prey right now and it starts out story heavy but then you can play and ignore all the ancillary books, notes, etc and yet if you find a password or passcode the game will let you know when you can use it. I am happy i don't have to remember it on my own!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Not me. My favorite genre is the story-driven RPGs that Black Isle, Obsidian, Troika, and Bioware used to make. I played SWTOR for the class stories not the combat or raiding. For me the stronger story in Borderlands 2 made it better than BL1.

I do agree that cutscenes should be pausable and skippable, and ideally they should be unlocked after viewing in case you want to view one again.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I don't mind cutscenes (even lengthy ones) as long as they don't get in the way. Eg, No One Lives Forever had some lengthy cutscenes but you could both skip them plus they were funny. What irritates me the most is actually the short but unskippable "micro-cutscenes" in modern "cinematic" games, ie, the ones where every... trivial... action, picking up an item, pulling a lever, opening a door, using an item, stepping over a pebble, etc, will trigger some 2-5s "cinematic" which over the space of a mission will constantly "snatch" control of the player back & forth dozens of times. Just show me a pre-mission briefing video then let me play the damn level continuously (which I find 10x more immersive than "over-scripting" that constantly stands between the player and the gameplay).

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I don’t mind dialog, Golden Sun and Golden Sun: Lost Age were both notorious for having huge amounts of dialog; they both are in my top 10.

SmokinWaffle

Jan 12, 2011
Depends on the type of game. I'm a shooter person but if I'm doing a Strategy, co-op or puzzle game I want some dialogue to keep me company.