Always happy to see best buy go down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I love it :)

Did he do something a little 'illegal' by pretending he was someone else?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox
I love it :)

Did he do something a little 'illegal' by pretending he was someone else?

Telling a lie is not illegal per se. What law are you suggesting he violated?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac
Stung by a scathing job reference, a South Jersey man filed a federal law suit last week claiming that Best Buy, his former employer, blackballed him.

I don't know if I've ever heard this term used.

They named names

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
I find it hard to believe that any sort of HR professional would be that stupid.

You haven't worked with many HR Managers, have you.

The most an HR person can say when asked for a candidate reference is factual data relating to the candidate. An example might be, "Candidate worked for our company as job title from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx and was voluntarily/involuntarily terminated due to X". They can also give examples from past performance reviews (e.g. "very strong technical background but has opportunities for grown with communication"), but it has to be related to facts.

The way the Best Buy woman phrased the E-mail is a definite no-no and she's probably going to lose her job over this.

ZV <-- Works in HR. Most HR Managers I work with are well-meaning but have the technical competence of a 3 year old.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Originally posted by: Anubis
I find it hard to believe that any sort of HR professional would be that stupid.

you have never met a "HR professional" have you

Many - I am no fan of HR people, but they tend towards risk averse.

Pretty idiotic to generalize about the whole of HR. We save corporations tons of money, help people get jobs, mediate workplace conflicts, do your payroll, etc. And at the end of the day, we are regular people.

Edit: Seems the HR bashing has already begun...

Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

The most an HR person can say when asked for a candidate reference is factual data relating to the candidate. An example might be, "Candidate worked for our company as job title from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx and was voluntarily/involuntarily terminated due to X". They can also give examples from past performance reviews (e.g. "very strong technical background but has opportunities for grown with communication"), but it has to be related to facts.

The way the Best Buy woman phrased the E-mail is a definite no-no and she's probably going to lose her job over this.

ZV

I'm confused by both of your responses... I think Mwilding's point is exactly what Zenmervolt is saying - what HR person would be so stupid as to take the risk of giving negative information about a former employee?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Anubis

you have never met a "HR professional" have you

Many - I am no fan of HR people, but they tend towards risk averse.

Pretty idiotic to generalize about the whole of HR. We save corporations tons of money, help people get jobs, mediate workplace conflicts, do your payroll, etc. And at the end of the day, we are regular people.

Edit: Seems the HR bashing has already begun...

I'm confused by both of your responses... I think Mwilding's point is exactly what Zenmervolt is saying - what HR person would be so stupid as to take the risk of giving negative information about a former employee?

I was referring to his "I am no fan of HR people" comment with my post. My edit was made towards others in this thread.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I was referring to his "I am no fan of HR people" comment with my post. My edit was made towards others in this thread.

Yeah, I don't get your "you have never met a "HR professional" have you?" comment (and ZV's similar comment). I agree with his point - every HR person I've ever dealt with is very "by the book." That's a major component of their job - to make sure everything happens by the book (which I believe is what you were referring to when you mentioned that they save companies a lot of money). So it's surprising to me that a district HR manager would do something that is so NOT "by the book," and over e-mail no less.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This happens all the time. But in this case the HR person was dumb enough to do it via e-mail where there's evidence/proof. Most of the times this information is shared over a phone call.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Yeah, I don't get your "you have never met a "HR professional" have you?" comment (and ZV's similar comment). I agree with his point - every HR person I've ever dealt with is very "by the book." That's a major component of their job - to make sure everything happens by the book (which I believe is what you were referring to when you mentioned that they save companies a lot of money). So it's surprising to me that a district HR manager would do something that is so NOT "by the book," and over e-mail no less.

? I never said "you have never met a 'HR professional' have you?" I think you're talking to the wrong poster.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

I've worked for a few large multinational companies. Their policies have always been to only state the dates of employment -- even if the employees were fired.

The reason for this is that the companies did not want to get sued. Just because a person is fired, lets assume for cause, it is illegal for companies to try and get a person "blacklisted".

Lets say an employee is fired from his job by his manager. Let say his manager is a prick and writes a bad review knowing that it will be hard for the employee to find another job. No matter how "factual" the HR people are, the employee can always sue because the company as a whole provided information (even if correct) with malice. trying to blacklist him, preventing him from finding work.

The tricky part is the "malice" part. Obviously, if the manager was mean and an asshat, everything he does (even giving out truthful) information is with "malice"...

http://www.references-etc.com/...a_former_employer.html

Smaller companies who give out information is stupid and risk getting sued and losing $$$$$ even if it does or doesn't go to court... Live and let live has always been the smarter move. If the employee was a "bad" apple, let the other companies' hr weed them out in the interviewing process. After all, the HR departments jobs is to find good employees for their company. Not to waste time trying to get ex-employees to not get hired... or even help other companies by "warning" them about an employee -- it just waste time and money.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
im really glad he was able to find out this info over email. had she been more devious and smarter, he may never have been able to get to this point.

i do wonder though, if he could have talked to his prospective employers and asked them why he wasn't fired (i.e. did best buy say anything to you about me?).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

? I never said "you have never met a 'HR professional' have you?" I think you're talking to the wrong poster.

Oh shoot. :p

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

Oh shoot. :p

epoch fail!

:cookie: if you get the reference ...

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
We confirm dates and position. We are also allowed to answer if we would rehire....sometimes the long pause to that question speaks louder than words.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
She would of been better off saying he had AIDs.

So , maybe he did suck. Maybe he didn't like the job, going through tough times at home, who knows. It's all hersay or some ones point of view. Just like a court a law, all they want is the facts and proof.