Question Alternative to NVIDIA GeForce Titan X

SoulRedeemer

Jul 20, 2020
Hello, PC Enthusiasts;

I purchased Alienware Aurora R6 with the default video card, GTX 1080 a few years ago with a plan to catch up with more powerful dual cards when they come down in price in time. I'm ready to upgrade now only to realize that NVIDIA GeForce Titan X sells for about the same as then, if not even more expensive now.

I don't pay attention to these things day-to-day, so I am not sure if this is because high-end cards don't depreciate as much, OR I'm being charged for rarity value for a faded-out-of-market model. Also, the online vendors that I've found are not familiar names, and I wouldn't know for sure if there is any risk involved in doing business with them as opposed to Amazon or Newegg.

Would there be a more contemporary alternative to Titan X?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The Pascal Titan cards have not been manufactured for a few years now so what you are seeing is left over stock. Typically, if PC parts don't sell when current, vendors just hold onto the few remaining pieces, jack up the price and hope someone needs an exact replacement.

What is your use case? There are plenty of newer alternatives to Titan with even a 1080 Ti being close in games which can be found used for $300-400. The Turing cards like the 2070 Super/2080 Super or 2080Ti are way ahead of what you have now and there is still a current Titan offering. We are also on the cusp of Ampere so anything purchased today may be outclassed for price/performance in he few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoulRedeemer

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm not sure why people are giving such bad answers

Now is a terrible time to upgrade. They are projecting the next gen cards, which are appearing to be a huge upgrade, to come out starting in September through November. Wait for those and you will have faster and newer cards to pick from.

Don't upgrade now and absolutely do not upgrade to a Titan V right now.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Also, forget about dual cards. SLI barely works now, it isn't supported out of the box for DX12 or Vulkan games and almost no developers add support for it.

Single card is pretty much the only game in town