All Samsung's Ultra HD monitors in 2015 to support FreeSync

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Why is it that freesync is royalty free & gsync isnt? Im an nvidia user, but if nvidia is so shortsighted that they wanna charge royalties to sell more of their cards, theyre just being too greedy.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Wow! The entire lineup. Not just one model here and there. That shows they really believe in it.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Why is it that freesync is royalty free & gsync isnt? Im an nvidia user, but if nvidia is so shortsighted that they wanna charge royalties to sell more of their cards, theyre just being too greedy.

Who says gsync got royalties?

Gsync needs ASIC/FPGA+768MB DDR3. Also the two may be very different in the end.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Besides power/noise AMD seems to have some current wins over nvidia

Freesync vs Gsync (still needs to be tested to evaluate performance)
XDMA CF vs SLI

This is an important topic when talking about SLI and CrossFire. In the past, AMD was the one in the hot seat with terrible CrossFire scaling, performance and smoothness. A lot has changed over the last couple of years, AMD now has a frame pacing technology as well as its new XDMA technology. These technologies combined have turned the tables and now CrossFire feels smoother than SLI . It still feels smoother even when compared to NVIDIA's new GTX 980 cards in SLI. While overclocked GTX 980 SLI is faster in framerate, the actual feeling and smoothness in games feels better on AMD Radeon R9 290X. AMD currently has the upper hand in this arena.

There also seems to be some games that scale better on AMD CrossFire. Watch Dogs is a prime example of a game that works great with AMD CrossFire, but for some reason is completely dropping the ball under SLI. In our previous evaluation we also found better CrossFire scaling in Alien: Isolation.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...980_sli_overclocked_gpu_review/7#.VG3NxsmoGig

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Competition -> yay! :)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Who says gsync got royalties?

Gsync needs ASIC/FPGA+768MB DDR3. Also the two may be very different in the end.

Isn't that just the hardware required though ? I'm certain there is going to be a hardware requirement in any monitor that supports freesync as well that will add to cost.

Whereas a royalty is a straight licensing cost nvidia requires to implement the tech, beyond the actual price of the hardware. Unless people are confusing the hardware cost of the gysnc module with a licensing fee ? Or is there a licensing fee on top of the hardware cost ?

I could believe it is the latter as there is still a licensing fee to support SLI on motherboards is there not ? Even though there is no nvidia hardware required to actually have SLI work.

Edit: Also in the link there are monitors running it. Bring on IPS + adaptive refresh tech please :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Or is there a licensing fee on top of the hardware cost ?

I could believe it is the latter as there is still a licensing fee to support SLI on motherboards is there not ? Even though there is no nvidia hardware required to actually have SLI work.
Bingo. You basically answer your own question there.;)

As far as anyone knows, G-Sync requires a license fee, just like 3D Vision and SLI*. NVIDIA has always been pretty upfront about intending to charge royalties for their value-add hardware features.

* And like those, the fee is likely built in if you were to buy the hardware from NV, though the G-Sync board appeared to be a one-off thing

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The price of implementing freesync is apparently so low, that there's no reason not to implement it in these monitors.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Declaring gsync dead is a bit premature.

Acer 4k gsync display is dead though, unless samsung somehow manages to ruin it.

Last edited:

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Probably additional hardware is required for amd fs also. I think that UHD displays are expensive enough so that the additional production cost increase will have less to no impact on final product pricing.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
There is no "additional hardware", not with gsync either, it's replacement of the scaler, they'll price these screens at whatever they think they can ask for it.

Sep 27, 2014
There is no "additional hardware", not with gsync either, it's replacement of the scaler, they'll price these screens at whatever they think they can ask for it.

I thought G-sync required a module to be installed? Or was I wrong? Either way I will wait until there are comprehensive reviews of both technologies. I don't think G-Sync or Freesync alone would be a major buying point for me. I am more concerned with pure performance.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Good stuff. The more adaptive sync, the better.

Still waiting on either a monitor which supports both, or NVidia and AMD agreeing on a single open standard (either FreeSync or G-Sync, I'm not fussed) so that we don't get locked in by our displays.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I hope they would incorporate this technology to their 1080P HDTVs as well.

I don't need nor want 4k.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
zrLbb6H.jpg

Still saying Gsync has "communication overhead"...

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.