All Samsung's Ultra HD monitors in 2015 to support FreeSync

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012
Oh man...I was dead set on getting those new 27" 4K IPS panels from Dell...no I feel like I should wait...well perhaps I just get one now and get the Samsung 4K Screen with Freesync as well...I should be able to work just nicely on two 4K Displays and I can hook up the Samsung one for gaming reasons.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Exactly. The ONLY decent GSync monitor is the Swift and that one is plagued by a ridiculous high price (32" 4K IPS BenQ is $999!), it has major quality control issues (gamers reporting that they are on their 2nd-4th model due to overheating or dead pixels, color accuracy/color shift issues after some months of ownership as confirmed by European reviewers and some gamers) and its supply is very problematic. Thus, despite GSync being great on paper, in practice as a mainstream solution for gamers it really isn't taking off and the options/adoption by LCD monitor manufacturers is terrible for it.

Samsung is one of the major sellers of LCDs. If AMD gets Dell, Acer, ASUS and LG onboard for FreeSync, then GSync will suddenly be way behind in adoption. Considering that ALL of Samsung's 4K monitors starting in 2015 will support FreeSync, that means it's just a matter of time before other major manufacturers jump onboard as they will be unlikely to allow only Samsung to have this competitive feature advantage.

Finally, if GSync doesn't make it to high end 4K-5K IPS/VA panels long-term, it will face major adoption issues for premium PC gaming.

LG will be making Freesync monitors.
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK. :D

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom! :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27210099&postcount=86

Last edited:

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Oh you won't take multimillion dollars to put something in a monitor that amd gives you? This is marketing 101.
Do you think Intel pays manufacturers to use hdmi? Do you think someone is paying manufacturers to use DP? I'm sorry, but your claim is specious. Adaptive sync is a standard and no manufacturer will be be paid to use the standard.

BTW, TWIIMTBP, gaming evolved do have money involved. This is common knowledge. Though some of the amd titles iirc(only human, so can be wrong), don't have any money involved, but mostly engineers working with devs.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Right, its called marketing. AMD paid samsung to have it in monitors. In a year, that agreement will end and back to normal. Standard issue stuff.

That is how it works. Same with gaming conventions, nvidia pays them to put logo and use nvidia cards in the computers. Its all marketing to get brand recognition.

Oh you won't take multimillion dollars to put something in a monitor that amd gives you? This is marketing 101.

Guys, don't bite on this unsubstantiated troll bait. You guys know how hard they work to derail and lock Freesync threads.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
This is not an answer. You specifically stated AMD is paying Samsung to use FreeSync. Back up your statement.

Does amd even have enough cash on hand to pay off a company like Samsung? I don't think it's financially possible from looking at their 10-k filing lol.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I don't see why AMD would even need to pay Samsung anything since freesync is a win/win/win.

AMD has a free (or very low cost) extra feature -> more sales
Samsung gets a free (or very low cost) extra feature -> more sales
Customer gets a free (or very low cost) extra feature -> happy

It's like physx and mantle. You get something extra for virtually no cost addition.

Gsync could also be very nice, but there's only one monitor which is good but too expensive, and the rest are just not worth buying.

I would never buy a monitor based on a feature that was supported by only nvidia or AMD. The monitor should be good enough in itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.