[ALIVE AGAIN!!] Orinoco Gold 802.11b (Dell 1150) $58.65 shipped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: nino
Sorry guys but I picked up every last one of them. They are no longer available. They went from 300 to 150 in about 2 days so I jumped on the remainder and the company won't be getting more in. Sorry.

Want to sell me one nino? I'll pay you more than you paid lol.. hit me up at gizmo@gizmo-x.com or on AIM: th3g1z Thanks.

MAYAN

Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
Originally posted by: nino
Sorry guys but I picked up every last one of them. They are no longer available. They went from 300 to 150 in about 2 days so I jumped on the remainder and the company won't be getting more in. Sorry.

Want to sell me one nino? I'll pay you more than you paid lol.. hit me up at gizmo@gizmo-x.com or on AIM: th3g1z Thanks.

I also want to buy one!! PM me.

SlapBox

Nov 13, 2001
This deal's on again. There's a 15% off Dell coupon floating around on the deal sites that's good TODAY ONLY. Free shipping brings the total down to $58.65.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Ok.. Where? Are you talking about getting this quantity of cards that cheap from Dell or are you just bragging about how cheap you got some Orinoco cards?

If from Dell, how did you get them that cheap?

Sal

rollininmy64

Aug 22, 2001
does anybody know if this card has teh MC interface connection to attach external antennas? I didn't see it detailed in the Specs....Thanks to anyone who has ordered one from Dell and can comment on whether or not the external antenna prot is there.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Well, I have yet to receive my card but I'll let you know when it arrives... scheduled for delivery on the 20th.

AMEXplat

Jun 26, 2002
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
Well, I have yet to receive my card but I'll let you know when it arrives...
I too ordered this card on Aug11 and it shipped out on Aug12 via UPS ground; have yet to receive it, but UPS says I'll get it Aug19pm. And from what I've heard/seen these cards are to have the capability for external antenna.

qo23

Jul 24, 2002
Dell Small Business has this on sale again for $58.65. Automatic 15% off SELECTED peripherals and free shipping for purchases over $50 (exp 8/21).

nino

Aug 30, 2000
Hi gang,
sorry for the late responses as I've been studying like crazy - I hate when school gets in the way ;-)

Anyhow, just send me an email at nino@purdue.edu. I'm sure that I'll get a ton of responses and so I won't even bother responding to those that low-ball me. These are the mini-pci cards and go for $99 if you buy a laptop and I've seen them there for $139. They sell on Ebay for around $70 and I've been selling a few on campus for $60. Make me a decent offer and I'll probably sell you one. I think $60 is a great price for a new mini-pci card so you know where I'd like to start selling at :)
I'm serious about not responding to low-ball offers though. It's not to be rude but I'm expecting to get flooded and I HAVE to study otherwise I could get kicked out.
Take care,
Nino

anazoal

May 30, 2000
- The Dell True Mobile has a proprietary Orinoco antena connector.

- I have the Dell/Ornico and a DWL-650. The Dell/Orinoco has better range and signal strength/sensitivity. However, when using both inside a house, two walls and 30 ft from an access point, the difference between the two cards is minimal. As always, YMMV depending on interference in your setting.

- The mini-PCI would be cool to have b/c a PCMCIA wifi card sticks out of the slot (~ 1") and you have eject it whenever you put your laptop in a case.

SlapBox

Nov 13, 2001
TheGizmo - change the title of this thread! It's about as dead as Hugh Hefner's johnson! ... as in Not At All!

DanDrop

Aug 9, 2002
I finally received the Dell 1150 True Mobile card (orinoco). The card is really good compared to my crappy 3Com Airconnect. No matter where i go inside the house i get really strong cennection with this orinoco.

My 3Com card gets cuts the connection whenever my cordless phone rings, or when the microwave is turned on.

The true mobile card rocks.. worth every penny, and at around $60, it is a steal !

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Does this card get interference or go haywire when a Toshiba 2.4GHz cordless phone AND microwave are on at the same time?

DanDrop

Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Does this card get interference or go haywire when a Toshiba 2.4GHz cordless phone AND microwave are on at the same time?

Ross,

I do not know about Toshiba 2.4 ghz cordless phones, i do not own one. However, I have 2 panasonic 2.4 ghz cordless phones )one older and one newer that says gigahertz extreme), i also have siemens gigaset cordless phones. Based on experience, When the phone rings, my connection dies because of the Panasonic 'gighertz extreme' phone. When i pick up the old panasonic, the signal is still alive on my old 3com airconnect. Also, there is interference on the siemenz gigaset, meaning, the reception on the siemens phone is very poor when in close proximity with my laptop running the 3com airconnect. Also, when either of my two microwaves are turned on, the signal dies completely.

To answer your question, i went to the kitchen, turned on both microwaves, turned on all my cordless phones and observed the signal quality. There was definitely interference going on, but not up to the point of disconnection. The microwaves seemed to be affecting the orinoco card more than the phones, because as soon as i turn of the microwave, the signals get stronger as indicated in the signal strength bar. I also observed that my phones were barely interfering with the orinoco card (if any) because the signal strength remains strong on phone usage.

Hope this helps

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
DanDrop - Yes that does help a lot, thanks. Fortunately we use the phone more than we do the microwave.

mrVW

May 18, 2000
Don't worry about the cell phone.

The microwave can be a problem if it is a crappy leaky one... we use the Orinoco cards in our RV and have troubles sometimes... but we have a 12 year old microwave that is a real POS!

fab-corp.com is a decent place to get antennas and pigtails for the Orinco.

Chopshtick

Aug 9, 2001
Just ordered one. They're $69.00 now, but I got free shipping and 10% off for being a "valued Dell small business customer".
Whatever.

Jaxidian

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2001
twitter.com
Could somebody tell me a little about this mini-pci? I'm not aware of what exactly this is. Is this something in all laptops or what? I have never noticed anything about a mini-pci (slot?) in any of the laptops that I've worked with and done repairs on (approximately 12ish different models in the past 3 yrs).

Thanks

Iceyburnz

Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaxidian
Could somebody tell me a little about this mini-pci? I'm not aware of what exactly this is. Is this something in all laptops or what? I have never noticed anything about a mini-pci (slot?) in any of the laptops that I've worked with and done repairs on (approximately 12ish different models in the past 3 yrs).

Thanks

I was wondering that myself....>Any1 can answer this??

ElDonAntonio

Aug 4, 2001
I have a dell inspiron laptop since a year and never noticed any mini-pci slots on it. Any info on that?

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Somehow the free shipping doesn't work ... :(
Do you know if this card is better than the Linksys Wireless NIC currently available at Best Buy and Fry's for $49.99?