Discussion Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Exposes The Dark Side Of Politics In 5 Incredible Minutes

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Good clip to watch. All of you who have your auto-hate on for AOC disable it for 5 minutes and play the clip

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
She exposed something I already knew.
And the people who need to hear this are violently ignorant sycophants of the Trump Klan.

It's ok. As soon as Trump becomes president, he's gonna drain the swamp. Wait for it ..... any minute now ..... believe me ....

Reactions: shortylickens

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
In short, democracy is dead.
Not dead, just under the influence of money. We could kick the habit anytime we wanted to, but since some of that money goes to our favorite team, we won't.

Incidentally, AOC needs to work on her public speaking and presentation skills. Obama or Gowdy would have done a much better job.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not dead, just under the influence of money. We could kick the habit anytime we wanted to, but since some of that money goes to our favorite team, we won't.

Incidentally, AOC needs to work on her public speaking and presentation skills. Obama or Gowdy would have done a much better job.

Meh, she's leaps and bounds beyond what conservatives require, maybe she should ramble aimlessly and grab a few conservatives attention too.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Saying "campaign finance laws" are responsible for the state of politics or the country is like saying all-you-can-eat buffets are responsible for fat people. If you could somehow pry the majority of the country away from TV they watch 8 hours a day then "money in politics" would be a non-factor. We need to focus on eliminating political ads, and if we did then money would be an afterthought.

The other way to fix the money in politics "problem" would be to reduce the scope of government being involved in every aspects of our lives to the point where the vote of a Senator from West Nowheresville could be the determining factor that costs (or makes) some company billions of dollars. Every time some random housewife in Hoboken decides "vaccines cause autism" you create one more reason for some lobbyist for the vaccine industry to stroke a six figure check to the re-election campaign of "Idiot for Senate 2019".

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Meh, she's leaps and bounds beyond what conservatives require, maybe she should ramble aimlessly and grab a few conservatives attention too.
That's the thinking that will insure the issue goes nowhere. "You're to stupid to understand" isn't a compelling argument.
Her speech made the point, but it was a high school level performance. On this particular issue, I completely agree with her, and I would like to have seen a better constructed and more compelling argument.
Describe the issue and it's ramifications, outline the solution, drive the point home, then ask why we don't want to do it. I want her to succeed.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
That's the thinking that will insure the issue goes nowhere. "You're to stupid to understand" isn't a compelling argument.
Her speech made the point, but it was a high school level performance. On this particular issue, I completely agree with her, and I would like to have seen a better constructed and more compelling argument.
Describe the issue and it's ramifications, outline the solution, drive the point home, then ask why we don't want to do it. I want her to succeed.

There is much concern here. Very much.

Lol. Voted for Trump and is worried about AOC’s diction.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

So, dumb it down a bit. Good goals for Americans, lol. She did just fine, and it she keeps being herself will be just fine. She got elected for a reason.

Conservatives, such as yourself, have already proven that public speaking ability is not a high priority for them. If that's not the case, maybe they should reconsider casting their votes for babbling buffoons.

It's good we can agree on the issue at least, the other games conservatives play won't fly with her.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The answer is separate the money from the big donors. If donations were blind, politicians wouldn't know who to suck up too.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016

I doubt your sincerity. In another thread you mischaracterized her positions, said she has no actual ideas behind what she says, and then wrapped it up by saying it was all cool because she is attractive.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Gowdy? Seriously? Did you hit your head on a rafter today?

USSC ruled money = speech, so we either need an amendment or a new supreme court to change that, and one side if very against that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I don't think you see the issue properly. If our democracy is under the influence of money then our democracy is nor only under the influence of money, it is also dead. A government that can be influenced by money is not a democracy. Influence by anything other than the will of the people on a government isn't democratic. You are just ignoring the fact that democracy is dead.

Now, since there is no cure for this illness than it's complete remedy and no real advancement can take place without it, there is only one message that is politically relevant. So AOC is vastly more articulate and a much more potent speaker that Obama or Gowdy. She is saying the only thing that really matters. We will have a class war or we will live in slavery. The more this is resisted the less civil the war will be or the deeper the state of slavery. You need to wipe the roses out of your eyes, in my opinion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Gowdy? Seriously? Did you hit your head on a rafter today?

USSC ruled money = speech, so we either need an amendment or a new supreme court to change that, and one side if very against that.
Don't forget corporations are people.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are those who have questions as to whether it even matters. There is a loss of hope:

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/4/18185383/millennials-capitalism-burned-out-malcolm-harris

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
She's calling out the game that everyone in the room knows about, and most participate in, but dare not speak of. She's threatening that golden goose and they hate her for it. That's why there is such an obsession over this freshmen representative. They are trying to abort her career, if you'll pardon the expression, because she poses a threat to their cash flow.

If politicians believe that the money makes a difference, then it will change their behavior in deleterious ways. Congressperson A who believes he/she needs fossil fuel money in order to win the next election may be wrong, but that won't stop him/her from voting in favor of legislation that allows offshore drilling.

Reactions: greatnoob

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I was born in '80. so sometimes I've seen GenX label and sometimes GenY, but now millenial

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Nope, you are GenX as well, 1961-1981. If you have any younger siblings they would be GenY. But back on topic, this young woman is going to go places based on this video alone. She seems like she is extremely serious about going after Citizens United. Something tells me that one of the reasons the Reichwing hates her so much is because she is very beautiful and they know that she wouldn't ever have a chance with her.

Reactions: ch33zw1z