Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a woman, injures a man.

Jul 9, 2009
If it was a prop gun for a movie why was he shooting at a cinematographer and his director?

"
A woman has died and a man has been injured after actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a New Mexico film set.

Police in the US state said Mr Baldwin discharged the weapon during filming for the 19th Century western Rust.

The woman was taken to hospital but died of her injuries. The man, the film's director, was receiving emergency care.

A spokesperson for Mr Baldwin told AP news agency the incident involved the misfiring of a prop gun with blanks.

"The woman has been named as Halyna Hutchins, 42, who was working as director of photography. The man being treated is Joel Souza, 48, the film's director.

Police are still investigating the incident at Bonanza Creek Ranch, a popular filming location, and no charges have been filed.

The Santa Fe New Mexican, a local newspaper, reported that 68-year-old Mr Baldwin was seen outside the local sheriff's office in tears on Thursday."

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That’s gotta suck to accidentally kill someone. I don’t think I’d be able to finish the movie after that.

Reactions: Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42.

Damn... who the hell was in charge of the "props"?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It will be interesting to find out how this happened...IF the truth is ever actually revealed. I wouldn't be surprised at some kind of made-up bullshit cover story.

Reactions: Torn Mind

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You can kill with a blank as well as a projectile. But you would need to be basically point blank range to do it.

Fatal accidents
Actors in particular are at serious risk of injury from blank cartridges used on movie sets. Several actors have been killed in such mishaps:

• Brandon Lee was killed while filming a scene for the 1994 film The Crow when a .44-caliber S&W Model 629 revolver used as prop that contained a squib load — a bullet accidentally stuck in the gun barrel — was fired with a blank cartridge, which propelled the lodged bullet down the barrel. As reported in the investigation and court records, the dummy round used during an earlier shoot were handloaded by someone other than a firearms expert, who removed the propellant powder but unknowingly left a live primer in place, resulting in a bullet being separated from the casing without enough energy behind it to exit the barrel. The gun was not properly checked for the retained bullet prior to the incident, and squib load was then blown out of the barrel by the blast energy of the blank, fatally injuring Lee.[5]
  • Jon-Erik Hexum was killed when he placed a blank-loaded .44 Magnum revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger — the powerful shockwave from the blank cartridge caused a depression fracture to the skull, sending bone fragments deep into his brain and causing severe intracranial hemorrhage. He died a few days after the accident.[6]
  • Johann Ofner, a professional stunt double, was killed in 2017 while filming a scene for Bliss n Eso music video Dopamine in the Brooklyn Standard bar in Brisbane.[7][8]
  • A 17-year old was playing with a gun used in a St. George, Utah high school theatre program to be used in a production of Oklahoma!, and accidentally killed himself, thinking that "blank" cartridges were harmless.[9]
  • Halyna Hutchins, a cinematographer on the set of an upcoming independent film Rust, was killed when actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun while filming a scene in New Mexico. Director Joel Souza was also injured. No arrests or charges have yet been made.[10]

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, even prop guns kill. You shouldn't play with guns or have guns in almost every frickin movie. Just look at the movie posters, all you see are guns and people holding guns and people waving guns and people driving with guns out the car window.

Untitled.jpg

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It will be interesting to find out how this happened...IF the truth is ever actually revealed. I wouldn't be surprised at some kind of made-up bullshit cover story.
There are usually a lot of people on a set, it will be pretty difficult to not have at least one person leak the truth.

Reactions: Ken g6

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, even prop guns kill. You shouldn't play with guns or have guns in almost every frickin movie. Just look at the movie posters, all you see are guns and people holding guns and people waving guns and people driving with guns out the car window.

View attachment 51748
Yeah, that's kind of our thing. If it wasn't guns it'd be whatever the current weapon of the era was.

I'm actually surprised they don't just cgi the gunfire at this point and use something else to signal the event for the actors.

Reactions: cytg111

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I recall hearing that just because they're blanks doesn't mean there's absolutely no danger in firing them. Another famous example would be Brandon Lee dying on the set of The Crow to a shooting of a prop gun.
same as actor Jon-Erik Hexum from the TV series Cover Up.

Feb 16, 2005
Damn, that's going to be some serious weight to be carrying around on your conscious. The thread title is very click baity, considering the actual situation. But then again, consider the op.

Reactions: BUTCH1 and dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Damn, that's going to be some serious weight to be carrying around on your conscious. The thread title is very click baity, considering the actual situation. But then again, consider the op.
Alec made fun of tajjy's golden idol. That means it's okay to bear false witness against him. For god.

Reactions: BUTCH1

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It was a prop gun. I would be interested to know how it was designed, etc....

2 people were injured in the malfunction. It's not like only one person was "shot"... The report this morning sounded like the gun exploded possibly.

I used to own a .22 starter pistol. It actually had a baffle in the barrel that would keep a round from going through the gun. The blanks were like 5mm long...just long enough for the powder required to make it go "pop". The baffle directed the sound and muzzle flash out. I'm wondering if this was a similar kind of gun with a round that wasn't packed to the correct specifications.

I recall hearing that just because they're blanks doesn't mean there's absolutely no danger in firing them. Another famous example would be Brandon Lee dying on the set of The Crow to a shooting of a prop gun.
That's a different situation altogether. Someone loaded that gun with REAL bullets.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Some of the news is reporting that the movie was done on the cheap, less than a $6 million budget. A "Tier 1" movie.

One wonders how much the limited budget played a role in prop safety and handling.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Few things can horrify and gut your soul like being responsible for unintentionally ending someone's life. My heart goes out to the lady's friends and family, as well as to Alec. Idk if he's going to be alright.

Sounds to me like a prop revolver wasn't loaded correctly and/or had damaged barrel or cylinder walls. Period movie, so likely black powder model? If someone mistakenly used modern handgun powder, or too much of the proper stuff when there was an internal crack somewhere... Ugh. Got me thinking of Brandon Lee now.

:pensive:

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
It was a prop gun. I would be interested to know how it was designed, etc....

2 people were injured in the malfunction. It's not like only one person was "shot"... The report this morning sounded like the gun exploded possibly.

I used to own a .22 starter pistol. It actually had a baffle in the barrel that would keep a round from going through the gun. The blanks were like 5mm long...just long enough for the powder required to make it go "pop". The baffle directed the sound and muzzle flash out. I'm wondering if this was a similar kind of gun with a round that wasn't packed to the correct specifications.

That's a different situation altogether. Someone loaded that gun with REAL bullets.

i am a former master carpenter running the stage load in and out, rigging, and in charge of the crew that moves set, rigging, linesets, etc.

we had several shows with guns. prop guns for us were always real guns that had the barrel epoxied shut with the mag glued shut as well. every time the prop master handed that thing out they would try to clear it so that they know its not switched out. this way you get the weight and heft of the real thing. the "shot" always came from a crew member hiding behind the set, shooting at a wall or similar backstop with blanks. live theater mind you.

my first thought on this was that someone switched them out. or very poor training on the part of the actor and crew on how to handle a loaded gun. as above, even when loaded with blanks, it should be treated like its loaded with the real deal.

and on a movie set with the editing we have today, you stop, inform the crew that there is a loaded gun on set and then keep going, or you have some kind of warning. live that would be hard to do.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I've seen in movies where spent brass falling to the ground have those crimped ends on them where a nice round hole should be, denoting blanks were being fired and I chuckle every time I see that thinking "well so much for realism". Meaning, blank rounds are so obvious that they can't be mistaken for live ones. That being said, whoever loaded a live round in place of a blank is either an imbecile or, somewhat more unbelievable intentionally loaded that round for some unknown reason.

Playing a prank comes to mind but who would be that much of a moron to do such a thing?

edit - sure would be nice to know the type and model # of the firearm that was used.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I know very little about handguns but thought blanks came in a distinctive box? I think red.

If there was a live round doesn't that make it highly suspicious?

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Sad story. Feel sad for the women who died and also Baldwin who will for the rest of the life remember killing someone point blank.
edit: (Point blank was probably not the best choice of words in this situation).