Question Alder Lake - Official Thread

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I don't think Intel will let this slide. I suspect a microcode will be released as Bios Update

"Intel’s 12th Gen non-K processors were not designed for overclocking. Intel does not warranty the operation of processors beyond their specifications. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance."

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
"Intel’s 12th Gen non-K processors were not designed for overclocking. Intel does not warranty the operation of processors beyond their specifications. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance."
Pffft, as if Intel warrantied its K-series processors for overclocking anyways. Intel killed off its PTPP warranty so I'm not sure what separates a non-K series processor vs. a K-series processor from the standpoint of overclocking warranty. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned the above bolded statement is just as applicable for K-series processors as it is applicable for non-K series processors. This is just some BS PR statement to scare people from eeking out performance from parts they didn't intend for you to eek.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Does Intel even warranty the operation of K processor when overclocking?

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Even enabling PBO voids your AMD warranty:

Yes, they're on the same page as Intel. No warranty for overclocking. And they probably had the same panic about people overclocking low end Athlons too.

It doesn't make Intel's statement any more logical. Don't overclock these, think of the warranty. Meanwhile the overclockable chips also have no warranty if overclocked. What's the difference?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Because they just dumped billions (probably $10 billion or more) on N3 capacity. Plus an unknown amount of cash on N6, N5, and possibly N4. And they're building out a fab in AZ and OH. They're begging the Biden administration more money so they can afford to pay off TSMC and still carry out node research/build fab capacity. Alder Lake's successes won't make up for all of that.
They are closing in on 4 years of double the net income to make up/pay for that.
Alder will not sell any better or worse than previous gens, all their fabs are running at capacity anyway and that's why they are expanding, and buying supply from outside in the meanwhile, to be able to produce more in the future to be able to make even more money.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yes, they're on the same page as Intel. No warranty for overclocking. And they probably had the same panic about people overclocking low end Athlons too.

It doesn't make Intel's statement any more logical. Don't overclock these, think of the warranty. Meanwhile the overclockable chips also have no warranty if overclocked. What's the difference?
There is no difference that's why the statement from intel says "Intel does not warranty the operation of processors beyond their specifications." processors as in all of them.
But yeah. also it's just PR talk, as long as RMAs are low enough nobody is even going to ask you how your CPU burned out.
Also also the only thing really dangerous about overclocking is having a bad board that pumps more Vcore into the CPU than what you select.

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
Sales in Jan Week 3. Despite entrylevel ADL platform available, ADL still cannot outsells CML/RKL due to price, as expected.

OTOH with i3-i5s release Intel is grabbing some market share from AMD for sure. But it SEEMS buyers of entrylevel ADL already refused to buy any platform before which means they're the longwaiting potencial customers of entrylevel ADL, as list showed only LGA1700 share increase compare to others no change

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Reactions: Drazick

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So, china buying habits are different than the rest of the world ? As in the cheap stuff ? OK.....
One store in China compared to one store in the EU proves nothing. However, China contributes to a quarter of Intel's revenue, and if Alder Lake is gaining traction in that market, then it indicates customer interest in Alder Lake. Besides, as long as you are shopping for B660 and DDR4, Alder Lake is more affordable at every price point.

Unless you're already own an AMD motherboard, it makes no sense to buy Zen 3 for building a new system at the moment for most use cases.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
One store in China compared to one store in the EU proves nothing. However, China contributes to a quarter of Intel's revenue, and if Alder Lake is gaining traction in that market, then it indicates customer interest in Alder Lake. Besides, as long as you are shopping for B660 and DDR4, Alder Lake is more affordable at every price point.
What if it was just one store in Japan?

Reactions: Zucker2k

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Unless you're already own an AMD motherboard, it makes no sense to buy Zen 3 for building a new system at the moment for most use cases.
Well, for multi threading people, or someone like me that uses all 32 threads, AMD is still the way to go. NEW, I just got my 4th 5950x for $649 from a major online retailer. At 142 watt (or less) you can't beat them for perf/watt.

Reactions: scannall

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Reactions: controlflow

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Those numbers dont make any sense.Why would anyone buy 5600x or 5800x those cpus have worst price/performance in whole market.Are people brain dead or something lol?
Probably those are mostly from people already invested in AM4. Remember that Alder Lake non-K sales have only just begun. In the upcoming months I expect Alder Lake to dominate sales, especially the 12400/F.

Reactions: controlflow

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Those numbers dont make any sense.Why would anyone buy 5600x or 5800x those cpus have worst price/performance in whole market.Are people brain dead or something lol?

It certainly make sense, or the unexpected wonders of CPU upgrades. :mask:

Reactions: Makaveli